Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel tank vent mod

very help full

I used these parts to do my one:

• Gasket - 13101655830
    • Valve - 13130056430
    • Fuel Grommet - 13211555930

http://www.greenstripe.net/Parts-dia...75_Page-4.aspx

Basically it's the same stuff as the snappy rc one. These come off an Echo Brushcutter (petrol strimmer) costs about a 10-11 if I remember right.

I cant seem to find one of the valves origionally used by Cabbie, anyone help?

i have a full write up on my web site

www.customsandrail.co.uk

its shows how its done and what the pros and cons are

I have the snappy Rc fuel line kit but the valve leaks

type in... tank vent ... in ebay .. this is the one i usd http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-tank-cap-...item336266a01a

Quote Originally Posted by The Trooper View Post
    I have the snappy Rc fuel line kit but the valve leaks
    Check that the vent hose isn't too far into the tank and if that doesn't work mount the valve higher up similar to where Cabbie has: http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/showthre...ll=1#post36411

Failing that, they aren't that expensive to replace:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-Tank-brea...item5193b6033f
    Last edited by Stumungous; 13-11-2010 at 22:05.

Default Gas Cap Vent Mod

Just completed all 3 Bajas. Good links to parts in the above posts - thank you.
    Slight variations to the parts and mods used but of course principles the same. Hopefully will be of some more help to those looking for options to the leaking / blocked cap issue.

Full write up here

This option illustrates the use of an M5 90 degree brass nipple fitting (pic A), a length of 450mm 3mm ID fuel tube (petrol / gasoline spec.) to serve as the breather line, an M5 locknut, a small o-ring and a readily available fuel tank breather vent (the type used on petrol chainsaws / strimmers).

By

Slightly enlarging the existing vent hole, an M2 hex bolt can be screwed into the plastic (pic B / D), thereby sealing what will shortly become a redundant vent under this mod. Any type of suitable screw or set screw can be used to terminate the existing vent. Alternatively, epoxy or some other appropriate sealer can be used.

Using a 4.5mm drill bit, a hole is made to receive the brass fitting (pic E). A pilot hole is always a good idea (pic D). The raised cross can be sliced off using a sharp blade to give a flush finish for the fitting. Once the nipple fitting is seated, the o-ring is slipped on and the M5 locknut gently screwed down, just snug enough to squish the o-ring. The final direction of the nipple can be adjusted to suit, but forward facing seems to work best with the gas cap thread and a 5B body shown here.

Retaining the stock gas cap inners will avoid the need for a large o-ring, and will help restrict fuel freely reaching the nipple inner opening and entering the breather line.

Breather line connects to both vent and nipple. Depending on the flexibility of fuel tubing used, an ID of 3mm may be a little difficult to slip onto the nipple and vent. Warming the ends of the tubing on a hot surface such as a radiator will make them supple and ease the installation greatly.

A length of tubing 450mm will allow the check valve to sit adjacent the air filter/carb, protected inside the window, and also form a loop at the bottom of the side pods (pic P). If fuel happens to enter the tube (eg due to a faulty valve), the loop will help prevent any or excessive leakage whether Baja is on its tyres or roof.

NOTE: Two types of fuel tank breather vents were tested - the type installed here did not leak or allow fuel to move into the breather line from the tank when the Baja was inverted and shook, with engine idling, high RPMs, and engine off. Any vent used should allow air to move in, but prevent fuel exiting, ie a one way valve. The aluminium type (motorcycle) gas tank cap breather vent (pic R - shown next to the plastic type used here) - which is also described as a one way valve, allowed fuel to readily leak when inverted and put through the above test procedures. Of course not carried out under laboratory conditions, it should be noted that types of the same vent can vary greatly in function. It is highly recommended to test any proposed breather vent.

An easy mod with a discreet finish. Gas cap is easily removable for refuelling, a cheap gas cap is modified in favour of a relatively expensive petrol tank, and of course can be used on Baja to Baja.

That looks great, I have the alloy vent and experiance the leaking as you mentioned. Do you have a link or a known place to get those plastic check valves?

Thanks and great little write up!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumungous View Post
    Failing that, they aren't that expensive to replace:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fuel-Tank-brea...item5193b6033f
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
    That looks great, I have the alloy vent and experiance the leaking as you mentioned. Do you have a link or a known place to get those plastic check valves?

Thanks and great little write up!
    Many thanks - the part was gained courtesy of Stu's link above

Anybody got a photo of the mod done to the tank please ?

Cheers T

this mod readup help me solve my little prob
    when i remove petrol cap,i had a little hiss noise
    bit pressure,weird,now i know why,thanks team
    i gather up the bits ,try this mod