Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UberRC HD Ball Drive System - Install & Review.

The angle of smooth rotation exceeds the + - travel of the shocks & them some, to accomodate flex in the suspension arm .
    Thanks

Default Upate

Think it's about time for an update.
    Since fitting the Uber BD i've had no issues at all. I've always run with grease and boots and as you can see it's payed off because there's hardly any wear and i know from using FG BD dry wear out very quickly ( Even the Elcon ones).

The only issue i've had is 2 split drive cup boots
    The Uber BD has had hundreds of hours use since i last posted.
    Still have the original spare 5 bbs, never lost any....

Had mine about a yr but I have wear in the cups only, not alot but way more than yours.
    But i drive flat out and on bumper ground, so the baja is landing on throttle all the time.
    Still happy with mine and will post a pic when I need new boots.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Be intrested to see where there wearing.Whats your camber set at? Better to have a positive camber so the dog bone has more room to move .My upper arms are 115mm Pin to Pin.

i'm no flat driver either and dont use a slipper clutch.
    throttle ctrl..lol

These are what i would like to replace my standard ss bones with when they are due for replacement, seem expensive but you get what you pay for .

I'm gonna get these when I replace mine and to be fair you say about price, heres a bit from their website:

-UPDATE-
    We are now on version 4 of the Ball Drive system, with ongoing research to maximise strength we have made further improvements and are continuing to cover all components under warranty.
    We are giving all customers a LIFETIME WARRANTY on the ENTIRE SYSTEM... if any component fails - we replace it FREE of charge.
    Well worth it in my opinion, lifetime warranty. Don't see that too often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Be intrested to see where there wearing.Whats your camber set at? Better to have a positive camber so the dog bone has more room to move .My upper arms are 115mm Pin to Pin.

i'm no flat driver either and dont use a slipper clutch.
    throttle ctrl..lol

Not sure what there set at mate, the wheels are has flat or true to ground by eye. There wearing the only way they can wear, the shaft is tryung to spin in the cup so has some rotating wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus2391 View Post
    Well worth it in my opinion, lifetime warranty. Don't see that too often...
    worth noting that this is only true if you run them with boots and grease.
    War, War never changes.

didnt know they came with a lifetime warranty, worth every penny then!

Well tuck the hub cups off just to check, and not bad at all. Thought they wear a tad worse TBH but look pretty good.

Polished the cup part last time i had them off, but now going to polish the shaft part tonight at work. Just as well i removed them the hostile HD hubs was in need of a clean, and the bearings was almost ceased from getting wet and tuck a while to remove them.

So ordered some more bearings and SC boots

Last edited by Baja5b-SS; 17-02-2014 at 16:56.

Might have missed it but can you run hostile boots with these ?

5sc boots fit well, not tried fitting hostiles

Yes hostile do fit just need to trim a tad off both ends, BTH i found the stock SC ones work better.

I ran hostile boots on them, a right pain to get on,put some hpi sc boots on this time, so easy to put on.
    should last ok with guards on.
    I hav'nt bothered polishing mine, suppose the look better. But you dont see them behind the guards
    Hpi Baja 5Bss
    BZM micro 28.5cc + BZM Pipe POWER!
    http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/showthre...7704-AD-s-Baja

Quote Originally Posted by (-:AD:-) View Post
    I ran hostile boots on them, a right pain to get on,put some hpi sc boots on this time, so easy to put on.
    should last ok with guards on.
    I hav'nt bothered polishing mine, suppose the look better. But you dont see them behind the guards
    LOL only polished to make them look good, but the shafts need polishing now due to all the rust. Will take some pics once done, before and after LOl.

[QUOTE=covert;336150]Might have missed it but can you run hostile boots with these ?[/QUOTE

i used the hostiles once but they kept getting twisted and splitting... The stock boots work well for me. I have the V1 cups & believe there is a difference now (wall thickness has been increased)
    Might try some SC boots this time...anyone tell me why there better? cheers

Good photos Baja5b-SS, i tried to get better close-ups . The wear on the cups is similar.

[QUOTE=Rev;336208]
    Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    Might have missed it but can you run hostile boots with these ?[/QUOTE

i used the hostiles once but they kept getting twisted and splitting... The stock boots work well for me. I have the V1 cups & believe there is a difference now (wall thickness has been increased)

Good photos Baja5b-SS, i tried to get better close-ups . The wear on the cups is similar.
    They just fit better being 3mm larger than stock, they do on the v4`s anyway

[QUOTE=Rev;336208]
    Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    Might have missed it but can you run hostile boots with these ?[/QUOTE

Yeah the GS4 int to bad at taking pics, but this only applies to natural light. Dusk or indoor ant to good, anyway pics of the cups now after removing the service rust. Clearly dint want to take any metal off or the bearings would not work right.

Should slid on nice and easy now, needed the hammer treatment to remove them lol (the bearings)

Hope you don't mind this update Rev? If so I will edit with sorry wrong thread lol.

Had mine Uber ball drive now must be 2 plus years, will have to try and fined an old post and confirm.
    After my last few pics above I seem to have had a lot more wear on the cups, Revs are working a lot better or should I say a lot less wear.
    A few reasons mine might be wearing faster and the main reason I think is steel gears, any shock loading goes through all the drive, another factor that would not help was the 2 speed that was fitted, and finally throttle landings.
    Here is a cup that was replaced not because of the wear but I broke a few cup pins and made the hole elongated, Uber thought it be best to send me a new one for FREE so top service right there.

The diff side are pretty much in the same condition but still work faultlessly and still silky smooth, but has rotational play. In turn this I'm guessing will contribute to more rapid wear, any sloppy parts get sloppier faster than no sloppy parts if this makes sense.

Now the new cups been fitted and has no play, none at all on the new side meaning the shaft pockets and balls have had no wear at all. Or very very minimal has I'm sure the balls was solid in the packets when new, now the odd one does spin.

I have since contacted Mark and asked to buy just one more cup, might has well have brand new hub side cups. This time I used the Dremel and marked the date I fitted it, but all in all well happy with the ball drive considering the gears used, plus 2 speed and most the time throttle landings.
    Saved me many many pounds on buying stock parts that I was going through on a daily bases, this I think was throttle landings.
    Think i spent just over 100 on stock cups, shafts plus SC shafts in a matter of weeks, then ubers V4 came back in stock March rings a bell so bought them with out question will I buy again to right I will if needs must.
    So to answer my question March 2013? OH I don't no.

Found the date 1 yr 11M and 14 days yipeee 12th/03/2013
    Last edited by Baja5b-SS; 26-02-2015 at 23:01. Reason: FOUND THE DATE

Thats an interesting post about the wear m8. I think 2 years old mind and it's expected. I had hpi hd drive shafts and diff cups that were 3 years old. I have just given them away as I don't need them but they aren't worn at all. Someone on the forum even commented on it when I did a post on my diff a while back.

The hpi hd drive shafts and diff cups are not as strong as the uber set up but my set up has been run through pcsc. I think that this might just again go to show the long term benefits of having a pcsc set up. Possibly could have used the car less and not driven it as hard with a smaller engine… But I think its more the pcsc. Also I've not had to ever replace a plastic spur gear yet due to wear. I know, a bit off the post but still think it was worth bringing up. Looking forward to doing a post on my pcsc set up in 12 months now it running on the bigger engine.

Also now because the ignition and cooling fan is working so well on the 29 I have been thinking about trying it on a g34 (32 with +2 crank) as I am confidant that it will work and no one else will probably try it. It would all still be running through the pcsc if it can take it. Which I think it will. Still got 3/4 turn left on tension bolt to use
    Last edited by biscuits; 27-02-2015 at 06:46.