Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: paint by ian

Default paint by ian

Some of you have already seen my work in the "Introduce Yourself" section so I figured I should post a proper thread up and detail some of my work for you to see. The ones I'm going to post here are 8th and 10th but I've taken a few orders from a few of you already so this is soon to change which is brilliant, because working at a bigger scale I can get a lot more in and these bodies present a new challenge for me.

I had my own custom paint business for 10 years and have been airbrushing for 25 plus so have a little bit of experience behind me. I look at any shell I do as your trade mark just as a racing drivers crash helmet picks him out on the track from his team mate I intend these to do similar.

This is a shell I did way back when I worked in a model shop, it's on a J&A racing buggy, 5th scale monster !

8th Rally Cross shell, kept purposely simple in both design and colours terms for photographic purposes.

10th scale Short Course shell for a local shop mainly just to show off what I could do. I copied the decal sheet that came with it and replicated everything in paint, the light covers, the grill, all the logo's

The rear has chrome roll bars with carbon panels, again all painted on

And down to just silly detail like painting the cooling fans in behind the chrome fan housing, you can see the carbon better in this pic, I almost lost my entire bag of marbles doing this beast.

Copy of a crash helmet for this Serpent 811Be 8th buggy shell

This was a little different, everyone does carbon and I wanted to do something different so I came up with the circuitry idea.

A driver approached me and wanted as he put it a "more professional looking shell". So we design it with visibility from the rostrum in mind but also logo placement so he could fit his sponsor logo's on. I painted all these on too so no chance of them peeling off with the fuel or dirt.

Inspired by colours and design from Alonso's crash helmet

The brief for this was very loose, as long as it was red white and blue it was fine and nothing tacky like flames or slime. So I took the guys initials and made them the design of his shell. The red coming over the roof is an M and the blue at the front a T.

Jon Hazelwood, painted on Carbon Fibre.

Slime has been done hundreds of times before but I wanted to make it different when I was asked to do it, this was on a small tenth shell though so detail was difficult.

This chap gave me a completely free hand, absolutely any colour and any design, so this is what happens when you say, "I don't mind, do what you want"

Another specific colour one, just had to contain lots of pink so I used the brighest retina burning shade I had. Ghosted in some hexagons to give it a bit of texture, little bit of shadow to create interest and this was the end result.

This chap was incredibly specific about how his shells were. To be it's not really race paint, just too much going on but as I said this is exactly how he wanted it.

That's all I've got for now, will post new and exciting jobs up as they come through.

nice shells quick question how do you do the writing? like on the white short course shell,is it using liquid mask then cut out to make it neat? i doubt i could write neatly backwards on the inside of a shell so i'm guessing there's a different method.
    p.s did you get my message?

I've got a vinyl cutter I use for my designs, one of the best things I've ever spent money on.

Nope sorry didn't get any message

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeayen View Post
    I've got a vinyl cutter I use for my designs, one of the best things I've ever spent money on.

Nope sorry didn't get any message
    Strange i've sent another
    don't think i can justify getting a vinyl cutter

Latest shell completed. The owner wanted me to be inspired by TRON so this is what I came up with based on film stills and concept art.

Very keen to hear your thoughts on this, was difficult getting it to 'glow' properly.

Baja-Forum Maniac Baja 5B Police's Avatar

Nice work,
    HYPER TT
    SERPENT COBRA 811BE
    BAJA SS TS REED
    LOSI MINI 8IGHT

Cheers Jony

TRON shell is nice. How much will u charge for a baja 5B shell?
    Customer provides shell?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ironnike View Post
    TRON shell is nice. How much will u charge for a baja 5B shell?
    Customer provides shell?
    Cheers
    Yes the customer supplies the shell. If you PM me what shell it will be going on and details of what you want I'll work you out a price, every job is different so I need to know specifics before I can provide a quote.

Very nice work

Thank you

Latest offerings just finished today. A tenth and an eighth shell that aren't quite as special as my normal sort of work but I'm very happy how the simplistic design has worked, they look really good in day light, the camera hasn't really captured the colours. I really enjoy doing this race paint type stuff too so hopefully I'll get some more of it and it will work well on the bigger 5th scale buggy shells.

Just finished this 5th scale beetle shell for a customer. It's pearl blue with ripping open metal effect revealing a carbon effect underneath and flags on the rear sections.

Sorry I'm not taking on any new work until next year. I have a mountain here and when I've finished those I have a whole load more on a waiting list. However, I'm hoping to have all the ones here and the waiting list taken care of by Christmas... well, that's the plan anyway !

Very nice, nice list
    HYPER TT
    SERPENT COBRA 811BE
    BAJA SS TS REED
    LOSI MINI 8IGHT

Just to prove I'm still alive and am gradually getting through the work here's the latest one out of the batcave...

It's only a tenth one but it's ridiculously bright, if you stand next to it too long you get one of them radio active suntans

Currently that leaves me with 7 here to complete. Once done I will start to contact the next customers to get their shells to me, if they haven't got them done else where in the meantime because I'm so damn slow

More updates as they happen... next month.

Nice shell,nice to see your alive!
    HYPER TT
    SERPENT COBRA 811BE
    BAJA SS TS REED
    LOSI MINI 8IGHT

Very nice work : Toča:

Quote Originally Posted by Baja 5B Police View Post
    Nice shell,nice to see your alive!
    I'm just working hard, long hours, not much time for painting shells or being on here gradually getting there though, slower than ever

Another eighth scale shell just finished, happy how this came out. The orange has a colour change pearl over it so it goes from red to gold to green in sunlight, unfortunately I couldn't get it to show up in any of the photographs I took ( bad UK weather and lack of sun were the main problem ).

I think I've got 6 more shells to go to get clear of everything, then I'll be starting to contact people on the waiting list, can't wait to get my teeth into some fifth scale stuff, I can really go to town on them ! Will be nice to fit some detail into a shell rather than doing my eyes in on these little ones !