Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: paint by ian

Looks fantastic Ian. Cant wait to see some 1/5 scale jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by llazaru View Post
    Thanks fella, you and me both Hopefully people will still be wanting them done, to be fair though I got real behind, then got more behind, had some **** happen, got more behind than I already was, got a new job and everything virtually stopped, I'm only doing about 1 a month now. Hopefully I'll be able to get back into more of a rhythm and pick the pace back up a bit. Just doing a 10th Touring Car, man these are too bloody small to work on painting on each sponsor. I need to be doing some 5th scale ones for sure

As for everything else, I want to get much more into the 5th, I can get the designs better working to the bigger scale, it's so difficult to cram everything I want to onto an 8th, let alone a 10th. 5th is where it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by llazaru View Post
    me too! ! getting fed up with my camo theme , on everything !! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeayen View Post
    As for everything else, I want to get much more into the 5th, I can get the designs better working to the bigger scale, it's so difficult to cram everything I want to onto an 8th, let alone a 10th. 5th is where it needs to be.
    Yeah its much better Ian, I started with 1/8 truck shells and found them annoying. 1/5 is a lot easier to work with and just gives you enough room to get both hands in and everything. the annoying thing then becomes the bigger 1/5 scale truck shells, the amount of times I've knocked my paint or various other items over when spinning them around and stuff

Yeah that beetle shell I did was only the 2nd 5th scale I've ever painted and after doing little tiny 10th I'd forgotten how much paint things take...

It's all good though, feels like doing proper painting not model painting if you see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by LEE 65 View Post
    getting fed up with my camo theme , on everything
    I'm sure we can sort out something different for you Lee. Pink Camo maybe ?

Default Vauxhall Touring Car 1999

Finally I've finished this... Everything is paint and it's super tiny as it's on a 10th scale Touring Car. I so wish this had been a 5th scale as I had to leave detail out of this to get it done. However sourcing the logo's from this car wasn't easy, it's from 1999 so a lot of the logo's have been updated and it took me a while to find good and accurate reference for it. Luckily it all came together. I am gutted however that I missed the sponsors from the door sill area as these were just too tiny, likewise the Michelin logo was too small on the front bumper. Would love to do some fifth scale cars like this but I know copy right is an issue with a lot of logo's. For instance I can't touch Red Bull or Monster or anything like that without you ( the owner of the shell ) obtaining permission from them for me to paint your shell in their colours.

If I were to do this on a fifth the detail would be reflected in the price !

Good work Ian when I work for Vauxhall I lost count the times we changed logos...

greatjob always loved the touring vectras

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

Looks amazing mate... Are all the logos painted?

Quote Originally Posted by postie90 View Post
    Looks amazing mate... Are all the logos painted?
    post 27 above everything is paint

Yeah yeah it's all paint... Took forever to work it all out, size it accurately, get it into paint, looks nice though, questioned my sanity toward the end lol.

Would be better on a nice 5th scale shell though but would also have to be charged accordingly.

Cool art work, nice and clean lines on some of these shells, i lile tbe tron theme aswell:thumbup::thumbup:

Shortcourse looks superb.

Thanks for the comments chaps, I'm just finishing off a few more of these pesky little tenth sized things and then I'll be contacting everyone on my waiting list about the 5th scale stuff so hopefully this side of Christmas you'll all be seeing some new decent sized stuff from me...

Time for an update. These are some of the more interesting ones I've done over the last 6 months. Once again only little "kinder" sized cars but new paint work to show off. I am now finally at the end of all the ones here, well I will be at the end of this weekend when I finish painting this little crawler shell. Then I'm going to take some time out and do my own shells and build the two cars I have sat here and get some racing in

Then, finally I will be contacting people on the waiting list to see who still wants work done. There are 18 people to contact and I'm not sure any of them are going to come in as most have been waiting forever, however, if you've spoken to me and I said I'd add you to the waiting list be expecting a PM / email in about 6 weeks. I'm going to take the rest of this month and August off then I'll be starting again. Anyway, enough talking, here's some cool paint.

This chap always has Fernando Allonso's crash helmet inspired body shells

And similarly this is based on Felipe Massa's crash helmet design

This chap is German, he's obsessed by Red Bull and F1, particularly Sebastian Vettle. He wanted an F1 shell with the Red Bull logo all over it. However due to a crash helmet painting incident about 14 years ago and some nasty letters from Red Bull's rather ferocious solicitors I'm not allowed to paint the RB logo. So I talked through some designs with the chap and he let me have a pretty much free hand just maintaining he wanted the coloured graphics from the RB F1 car. So working front to back I made the German flag into a graphic, then I knew he wanted something bright so I went with retina burning toxic waste colours of green and yellow. The circles are inspired from Vettel's crash helmet. Then at the back it's a wonderously sparkly deep blue colour with the RB graphics changed marginally to have flouro pink instead of red and then white and blue. To say he was like a dog with 2 dicks when this shell turned up is an understatement.

And then this next bit needs to be read as if Jeremy Clarkson were introducing the stig.
    "Iron Man doesn't drive a little tenth scale RC car, but if he did it would look like this" - Iron man Mk6 suit inspired body shell. Took forever to work the design out as the customer wanted but it came out okay in the end.

sweet work buddy and that ironman shell just rocks !!!

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

Cheers fella, I was quite happy with it but gutted it was too small to include extra details or putting shading on.

It's not a race design it's clearly trying to be art and I felt it needed working up a lot more than it was, trouble was it was for a Losi 22 and they're the smallest 10th buggy there is so room was incredibly tight. Those lines are about 1mm, maybe less, too fiddly to really go to town on.

Just to keep my thread alive, some more of the little "Kinder" size cars...as usual every single bit including logo's is paint.

This was for a teeny tiny little crawler, I think they're 10th scale but the body looked more like a 16th or 18th, it was really tall and incredibly difficult to get my scalpel and airbrush into. Was difficult getting the fine detail too, would love to go to town on a fifth scale in this or similar way, maybe more subtle though ?

And the back where I had to over detail and paint all the carbon and fans onto it, can't have stickers it's just not right

Then a driver I paint for had a change of sponsored chassis so now he's with Kyosho, I revised how the stripes came into the back and changed the pink to red as he said it was too girly, pity I liked the pink, it's got a lot more circles on it now and the silver line is thicker around the german flag to pick it out more, also he wanted thicker fluoro orange windows so it stood out more on the track ??? I don't quite understand how the nuclear retina burning can be seen from space green and yellow didn't stand out on track but that's what he wanted so that's what I did. Also much clearer with the Kyosho rather than the fancy Mugen Seiki logo

And then a new Schumacher KF shell based on an Arai helmet that Kevin Schwantz had in about 2005. Arai produced it around that time. This came out real well and is clear as can be on track at speed.

Next up is a 5th scale Grafil shell for John, I'm just getting my teeth into the design and really enjoying working on something of a proper size rather than a small little toy
    Last edited by Eyeayen; 04-01-2014 at 13:52. Reason: Posted one before, oops, just removed it and speling

...Well... 6 months on, John's shell is almost done ( he will be ****ing happy to see me writing that ).

So i was contemplating posting up each stage so you guys can sort of see how I work, is anyone interested in that or not really you'd just like to see some finished for from me, the slowest painter in the world.

Let me know and next weekend I'll sort out all the pictures I've taken so far and get them uploaded onto here.