Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: paint by ian

I think everyone on this forum would be intrested in a 'How-to' painting guide. I know I am looking forward to that as much as the shell. A few links to materials used ,shops etc would be helpful. I know it's been posted in the past but would be good to have all the info together.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    A few links to materials used ,shops etc would be helpful.
    You don't want much do you...

I get everything I use on line from http://www.airbrushes.com/

The airbrushes I use are Iwata, I've used them for, hang on, erm, bloody hell, 27 years... **** I'm old and the paint I use is AutoAir from Createx, also available from the same place...

Compressors you probably all have them, I work between 25 and 50psi.

Masking is done with latex, or liquid mask depending on what you want to call it, widely available.

The rest of it is just practice, it doesn't really matter what materials you use or how you do it as long as it works for you, obviously you need good quality polycarbonate paint, the Createx range is ideal for this. There are plenty of airbrushes available, plenty of compressors, I use a Bambi compressor because it's quite (like a fridge), it doesn't upset my neighbours and no one knows when I'm working late into the small hours getting these finished.

Pictures to follow when it's all done, once you've done one though they're all the same, paint darkest colour first, follow it with slightly lighter colours and finish with white. I then just use an aerosol clear on it to seal it all in but you need to leave it to dry out well before you put this on.

A lot of people seem very secretive about airbrushing like it's some dark art and if they tell people how it's done the "guild" will come and find them and silence them. What a load of BS, there is no secret to it, if you can spray with an aerosol can you can spray with an airbrush, you just need to put light coats down and not rush it. Work methodically, work clean. Don't try and recreate some immense work of art on your first go, just do simple colours with some pinlines to get yourself going. Then put some fades into the next one you do, then some shadows in the next one and gradually build up to something mega.

I've been airbrushing anything I can get to stay still long enough since I was about 13, I've always used Iwata and found them faultless, at college in '92 people took the **** out of my then unheard of Japanese airbrush when we were all given "DeVilbiss" airbrushes by the college to do our work. My Iwata lasted the 2 years fine, most of them had to return and get their super '63 airbrushes serviced. There work didn't look any better or worse than mine. Nowadays I don't think you can really buy a bad airbrush, like you can't really buy a bad camera. It's the person behind it that makes the difference.

Hope that's of help.

Default Paint-by-ian Grafil RRV4 Shell

Okay guys, here it is.... * drum roll...

The colours aren't coming out in this so I'll upload some more photo's once I've been through them but the detail lines between the black are silver flake, the red has a chameleon effect over it that flips from gold to green and back to red through different viewing angles and the white is new and proper sparkly, super cool in the sun. I put a light dusting of holographic flake down with the black too just to give it a little extra, unfortunately none of this is coming out in the pics, typical ! All logo's are painted on, we changed the SAMBA one to match the neon green of John's wheels.

It was difficult to get it all working over the very shapely shell but eventually I got there. John did point out in the time it's taken to conceive and finally paint this design his sister has conceived and had a baby so I'd just to thank John for his patience, he said it was worth it when I finally delivered it and his smile made up for the huge amount of head scratching and hair pulling while I've been doing this. In my defense I did buy a house while this was going on and had a lot to deal with for that...
    Last edited by Eyeayen; 29-06-2014 at 19:44. Reason: Mi5, FBI, Nasa, Matrix

Better image showing off how cool the colours are. The white sparkle shows up in this one and you can see the green/gold flip happening on the red.

wow nice job ian oh and sorry about the accidental dislike i was just moving the cursor across the screen and it came up dislike

Amazing as usual buddy some many different styles in there looks awesome

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

very nice !
    I fancy a nice shell.. but I dont think I would be able to use it, unless its a 5b shell.
    Hpi Baja 5Bss
    BZM micro 28.5cc + BZM Pipe POWER!
    http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/showthre...7704-AD-s-Baja

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    wow nice job ian oh and sorry about the accidental dislike i was just moving the cursor across the screen and it came up dislike
    lol a likely story Paul it's cool don't worry.

Thanks for the likes BajaDre and (-:AD:-)

Little GULF shell for one of those tiny 1/12th Supa Stox things, nice cheap racing but I'd have rather done this on something huge and got all the sponsors on to it.

Strictly speaking the colours aren't correct on this as the customer specified he wanted flippy pearl colours so it's got a chameleon pearl on the orange that changes to red and gold and green ( like the KTM motorbikes ) and a more subtle blue pearl on the blue.

Finally I'm nearing the end of my commission list so if anyone wants anything 5th scale done please give me a shout. I'm not taking on the fiddley little ones like most in my thread any more and would like to concentrate on bigger work now.

I have to say I do get asked for some fairly odd requests. This chap asked me to make his little 10th scale buggy look like a stealth fighter....

Awesome matey love the blends on there

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

Cheers for the comments Dre very much apprecaited.

I asked IAN to do me a shell a wee while ago and he emailed me today with these pics ... I already have the SAMCRO shell from HIKS and I wanted my second favourite show done as well ..

I will let the pics speak for themselves ...

Last edited by BASS 666; 19-07-2015 at 23:10.
    TR.D.I.A.F.W .... SUPPORT LOCAL VENDORS ....

gary,that's ****** awsome mate and top job ian
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by dellboy1959 View Post
    gary,that's ****** awsome mate
    hes a very talented man ...

bet you ain't gonna bash that
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

looks mint gary , gonna look even better when it's on the car and all together