Thread: OBR FM 29.5 cc with billet crank case

Default OBR FM 29.5 cc with billet crank case

Well thought i should do the right thing and give a little review of my new addition to the baja, the new addition is in the title LOL.

Well the baja has been in a few bits for about 5-6 weeks in all, been doing a few mods while it's been this way.

Fitted IRC engine brace painted IRC lettering gloss black
    Fitted the best hinge pins on the market Kraken titanium
    Fitted A super duper on/off switch and new radio box
    Sold the shockingly pants DX4S and replace it with a brick (3PK)

Then the time came to fit the beast I'd been waiting for, tuck about 2hrs to get the engine in kill switch done and back to looking like a 5t again. Fitted many parts only to find out i'd missed parts lol, been a while so you kinda forget where things went and in what order lol.

Anyways it was fueled up and ready for the beast to come to life, primed the bulb and on the second pull it was running. The only thing i had to do was back off the idle screw 1/4 a turn, and it was ticking over nicely.
    Gave it 15 mins of running on idle then tested the super duper button pic below.

Let is cool down for a full hr and just started it again, came to life again on the second pull.

Will test the brick now by turning it off to kill the engine, i got a cheapo Killswitch because i only had the DX2E when i bought it.

Just waiting till 16:45 lol then i can turn it off.

Thats it TX turns the baja off lol so it's had 2 heat cycles for 15 mins and cooled down in between for an hr, just have to play the waiting game now to give it a steady run in.

All in all very pleased with this engine and yet again OBR sonic has come up trumps for me and gave 1 cracking deal on the FM and billet crank. Oh and been in engineering all my working life both lathes and millers manual and CNC i can appreciate the quality of work with that alloy case, it's 1 fine piece of engineering.

Cheers sonic.
    Last edited by Baja5b-SS; 03-09-2013 at 17:56.

Well working 12hrs today so i had to take the baja to work to complete round 2 of the running process, the first run was in my break just so the guards don't show the video of me runin the baja in works time lol.

Again started on the second pull let idle for 30 seconds or so, then driving round steady maybe 2mm on the trigger 6k clutch spring so running in nice and slow is easier than i did with my last engine, 8k seems way too much for running in speeds. This was a full half hr and yep gets boring as hell but needs must (and at work so paid to do it lol), while i was running it in i also set up the ABS function, and trimmed my brick 3PK on the steering. Locking up with brand new Kold Kutters was making a bit of a mess of the grass LOL, but if i'm seen to be doing damage then i'd get moaned at.
    My brake mod makes all the difference, using stock HPI linage just a longer lever (home made), Savox 256 servo so nothing special. Some dude wanted pics of this skidding but it's abit hard with a brick in 1 hand and phone in the other.

brake cam mod.jpg

Anyways left it for a few hrs and then finished off the the second part of the running in,Started on the 3rd pull but did not prime. Working all day sunday so same again but will increase to 1/2 and 3/4 throttle. Monday on nights so will be down the pit giving it the beans, can't wait to unleash the power of FM.
    Last edited by Baja5b-SS; 08-09-2013 at 10:32.

Well an update on this engine, has planned i did 2 final running in process yesterday (cheers gaffer) one at 12:45 and then 15:00. So now fully run in and was just waiting today to see what this engines like.
    Well it's a cracking lump that's for sure, but the proof is in the pudding has they say.

Went down the local pit 90% of the time the baja bashing site, and got my bro the video it for a few mins. He's not the worlds best camera man and he finds it hard to listen to basic instructions, so the vids all over the bloody place.

Hard to hear right on the vid but some thing my 2 bolt had probs with was maxing out in second gear, this beast picks up in the revs as though it's in first gear. Blackbone 2 speed 16-21 i find this a good setup, for both the pit on the local school field.

This is the first proper tank after the running in process, so another few tanks will really wake this beast up evan more.

Just waiting on youtube to upload a vid, check back inabit
    Last edited by Baja5b-SS; 09-09-2013 at 19:27.

Sorry for the delay in getting this video up, the crap galaxy S4 needed 3 attempts to upload to youtube.
    Did a few crashes on the vid and the baja just shakes it off lol.

Just updating rebuild number 2, this rebuild had just shy of 30hrs.
    TBH I thought it would look best part of been doomed now, not a single mark internally nothing THANKS DT1 deff best filter I've had and had 3 plus cheapest lol.
    Anyway stripped it all down cleaned it all up, cleaned the carbon off the piston and top of the cylinder.

Bearings was fine viton seals fine and again the ring was fine, slip gage measured .26 so just half worn again. Cleaned the carb and found the diaphragm is naffed, so prob why i was having minor running issues.
    So i think i will keep onto this engine a little while longer, sorry sonic gunna wait a little before i buy the 34 reed.
    Last edited by Baja5b-SS; 05-11-2014 at 20:22.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.