Thread: painting

Default painting

Hi folks, been off the grid for a while and are looking to get my baja finished only a few jobs left
    One been painting the shell which I don't feel confident to do, anyone in the north east do painting?

Only after a one colour basic shell, I've tried doing shells before and always Turn out like a turd! 😂

Where is A good supplier of paint also??

Cheers folks
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!!!

If your going to use one colour, you can easily get a good job doing it yourself in all honesty.

its all in the prep work, cut out your shell, dremel cutting discs work a treat, tidy up edges properly. Check fit and sort your mounting holes out.

Wash the inside with soapy water properly then dry, don't go touching the inside after.

Pick a nice area to spray, draught free so you don't get bits stuck to the paint.

Warm the paint can in hot water, shake very well and it's light even coats. Let it dry between coats so you don't get pools of paint or drips occurring.

Back your colour with black after your happy with the shade and then peel of your paint protection film and add your stickers etc.

Tamiya paints are good quality.

Don't know any painters in the north east sorry.

As above, you can get a pretty good result painting it yourself if just doing one colour. I prefer to score the shell with a fresh stanley blade, that way the shell just tears and if done correctly you won't need to touch any of the straight lines up. For the rounded sections, a sanding drum with a dremel is super easy to use.

I'd always use Tamiya paints, I've never been too impressed with the other makes. Likewise with masking tape, Tamiya stuff is the dogs.

If you're thinking about a complicated design either try Uber RC and have it done in a vinyl wrap or Mark @ Outlaw Graphix. Mark's work is top notch, but with that he's normally quite busy. IIRC he did the paint job on RJJ's 5ive in his avatar

It's a 5sc shell I'm painting, so it's already cut.
    I've painted savage shells before and they never turned out right.
    ONE LIFE LIVE IT!!!!

Try this guy http://www.stew-art.org.uk/index.html

He lives in Billingham and his work is amazing I know it's all motor bikes but I've spoken to him before and he was going to do a shell for me as he said it would be a change for him but I ended up going for a custom cage so never did get round to getting a shell done

Hope it helps

As rjj said, after you sprayed the shell, which ever colour you've done it in, what does backing it in black do, ie protect the paint or does it enhance the colour, as in the past I've just sprayed and left it
    One man and his BAJA on a mission

It does both mate, makes a huge difference on mine, when I did my yellow flames I backed them with white which made the yellow really vibrant then backed everything with black

shouldnt be too hard if only one color buddy plenty of light coats and let it dry well
    prep is the key for painting make sure the shell is fully clean of dust or fingerprints before spraying etc

theres a good guide to painting on the forums too

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..