Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Losi 5ive

Default My Losi 5ive

This is the other car i have got as well as the HPI Savage XL 5.9, this one does need a few bits as it's a very stock kit, and has had a hard (but short) life as the body is pretty knackered so a new one is probably on teh cards.

Biggest bit of damage:

Other Damage:

Only thing have done to this is to order the all important safety kill switch from Killer-RC (as doesn't have one stock), so that arrived in the week so spent Saturday fitting it.

Really crazy how easy the car comes to bits so was quite nice to work on, found out why the engine was getting soooo hot when running - the 'head' and 'flywheel' were choked up with grass / hay and mud all around them, spent a good 20-30 mins cleaning this out so hopefully should run a bit cooler now.

also stuck some mesh onto the rear side of the housing to try and stop any major big bits of grass getting in there, hopefully along with some outerwears this should help stop this happening again!!

Also, last night before giving it a run out fitted a DDM Dominator, makes it a damn site noisier now and i think a bit more powerful

Some pics of the exhaust (excuse the quality but late night pics with flash never a good thing with reflective shiny things!)

Took the car out on Sunday with a couple of mates, was a little bit wet and grassy as think the car needs a clean now!!!

Well after the above mess, i started to clean the car, and having now cleaned the chassis and modified it (part of the plastic side "skirts" was coming away from the metal part, so added an extra bolt & Nut to hold it down flush), I've found the rear diff is now seized one side.....

You can turn the input shaft into the diff, and the left side will turn fine, but not the right side - you can force the right side to turn, but it's very stiff and hard to turn, so a tear down is needed ASAP :rolleyes:

As i was looking at the car in pieces, got thinking about quick & easy upgrades for the car (hence the pinion query), so have just ordered a new 20 tooth pinion gear for the car along with the appropriate inserts / spacers, bolts & wrench are all now en-route from the USA (was sooo much cheaper to order and ship than get in the UK!)

Still need to finish cleaning the front end assembly, fuel tank, engine before i can re-assemble it - the chassis and body are nice and clean though lol!!

Well got some way to having it back in one piece, although one step back as well :S

Managed to tear down, clean and then oil/grease (as needed) and re-assemble the entire front end (shocks, arms, hubs, diff etc) and got that re-fitted to the chassis, then did the same for the central diff (clean / grease / reassemble) so that is now fitted back on.

Then cleaned up the radio gear and re-fitted that (just got to hope the water didn't get too much into the electrics!!).

Found two things that need addressing, 1 sooner than the other:
    1 - the 2 fuel line(s) out of the tank have cracked and split just as they exit the rubber bung in the tank so defo need a replacement before this goes back onto the car
    2 - the shocks have had it - whilst cleaning them and not having the springs on, there is very little 'damping' action going on, so think they need a rebuild kit purchasing soon, potentially with more heavier duty springs to try and get it to sit a little higher.

Still got a few bits to do though:
    1 - Clean engine & Fit new Pinion gear (when it gets here)
    2 - Sort the rear diff issue.
    3 - Clean the rear end parts and refit

Well spent a few more hours working on the Losi this evening, and couple of good bits of news but not good as well....spent most of the evening cleaning and de-mudding the rear drive assembly, got that all done and a few knackered bolts replaced.

Good.:
    1 - Have got the rear assembly ready to refit to the car (bar shocks and wheel hubs)
    2 - The rear diff is fine - when i was taking the rear apart, got everything stripped off the diff. and turned the diff by hand all all was OK...

Bad:
    Both the rear 'hubs' are stiff, the right hand one will not turn at all now - so looks like it was these that were causing the issue not the diff!!

Just got to now see what the actual culprit is and how much it going to cost - i'm suspecting wheel bearings ....

OK, checked and inner wheel bearings were indeed the culprit, so a new complete set of 8 (inner & outer) have been ordered and should arrive this week, also had the new 20 tooth pinion, inserts and wrench turn up this week as well, so more stuff i can do the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoClown View Post
    Took the car out on Sunday with a couple of mates, was a little bit wet and grassy as think the car needs a clean now!!!

That amount of grass and junk in there made me laugh. If its not dirty, it wasn't fun.

lol yeah too true, was a real good session, few rolls / crashes as well !!
    Lost 5ive-T Petrol (OBR G340 Full Mod, 30 Degrees North Body Shell)
    "FrankBaja" (IRC Front & rear Chassis, Kick up Plate, OBR 32 Full Mod, Team chase cage)
    HPI Savage XL Nitro (Very much modified!)

Had another look at the pinion today whilst working on FUBAR's Baja and looks like should be OK (following on from the meshing issue i had), only a run will tell!

Also fitted the uprated springs and 'socks' for the shock's but this has confirmed that a shock rebuild is definitely needed - front end bounces nicely, back end....not so much, just squats and stays there!
    "FrankBaja" (IRC Front & rear Chassis, Kick up Plate, OBR 32 Full Mod, Team chase cage)

Well, this afternoon was spent stripping, cleaning & rebuilding the Losi's shocks (front & rear), there were in need of doing as there was oil leaking out into the boots on 2 of them....all back together and seems a lot better now, just got to test it out now when it stops raining!!!

WOW not updated this for a while, done a load of stuff to it now, some becuase i wanted to, some cos i broke it (mainly at bashfest's lol):
    Fitted OBR G340 Full Mod Engine
    New 30 degrees north Black Body shell
    Upgraded Radio to 4 channel with S/BUS
    Added RPM & Temperature sensors
    New Exhausts / Air Filters

This weekend gone (after the damage i did at bashfest), fitted a set of new TR Racing Braces Front & Rear, New Rear & Front Bumpers and front brace and also a set of Joker Designs Alloy Turnbuckles.

Pics once they upload!

Left hand is the new one, right hand one is the somewhat bent bumper brace

Snapped mounting point on bumper brace

Bumper skid plate damage, note the wobble in the 2 long parts, plus broken holes at the bottom

Old vs new

Original Turnbuckle vs new Alloy ones

Before upgrade

After upgrade

Somewhat bent rear turnbuckle

Bent & Cracked front brace

New brace vs old

Strip down to do all of this!

Car as it stands now, waiting for the weekend!

Bent & Cracked front brace

New brace vs old

Strip down to do all of this!

Car as it stands now, waiting for the weekend!

Done a right number on that at bash fest pal. I take it the 5 was standard till you give it a beating?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty napalm View Post
    Done a right number on that at bash fest pal. I take it the 5 was standard till you give it a beating?
    lol yeah, most of that was at teh last bash fest, i think the brace was bent from August last year though, just not as bad!

Yeah was a totaly bog standard losi about 18month - 2 years ago, everything major been done since august last year (engine, shell etc) with a few little bits here & there!

lol yeah, most of that was at teh last bash fest, i think the brace was bent from August last year though, just not as bad!

Yeah was a totaly bog standard losi about 18month - 2 years ago, everything major been done since august last year (engine, shell etc) with a few little bits here & there!

Happy days pal. It's going to fly with that motor in. Picked my self up a dbxl a while ago. Wanted a 5 just didn't have the funds. Definitely next on my list though👍🏻

Did a bit more work on it today, cleaned and rebuilt the diff, cleaned & refitted the petrol tank and RC box / servos, now looks like:

Wow not updated this in a while, so bashfest august came & went - broke rear arms and other bits so repaired them, then took it to Nene valley in December and got it coated in a concrete sandy mix of stuff

So....Started to clean & rebuild it, will also add in a few alloy bits i've got along with the Uber RC Servo & Tray i bought ages ago, but need to get new bearings and top plate before i can do much more.

BEFORE

AFTER
    So far, have cleaned the chasis, side pods and rear bumper & Arms

This weekend was mostly spent finishing off the rebuild on my rear diff unit, re-fitting to the housing and then re-attaching that to the car (with all the arm's, new bearings, shocks etc).

Annoyingly i managed to snap the outer hinge pin on one of the rear arms so need to order replacement for that, then found when taking the front end apart that i've got a bent inner hinge pin as well, whilst taking front end apart found the front diff covered in oil/muck so definately has been leaking

Also finished cleaning the centre diff ready for rebuild.

Some Pics:

Diff ready for rebuild (and the drive cups ready for new bearings!)

Rear re-attached

Bent Inner Hinge Pin

Oily Front Diff

Scene of destruction - ready for a clean!