Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 88

Thread: LWB sandrail rebuild

  1. #21
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default

    found another crack on the shock tower also, cleaned out and re welded










  2. #22
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default













    all ready to go with:-

    OBR 30.5 Full Mod, Dom, Turtle gearbox and clutch, Ti Layshaft, Uber extended ball drive
    Lipo 0236 and 0230 savox, Super bee
    IRC big bores, 35wt front, 60wt HD springs rear

    650mm wheel base, rear 510mm between wheel hexs on RS Fruitbat extenders, 17kg with the MXT, no fuel

  3. #23
    Senior Member mark35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    wallasey wirral
    Posts
    901

    Default

    Looks like it'll take a good bashin, nice one.
    Has almost as many different colours as troopers rig

  4. #24
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default

    1st tank out





    the joys of sandrail ownership weld repair held up nicely tho...

  5. #25
    Baja-Forum Maniac dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim the Cosmic Goth View Post
    1st tank out





    the joys of sandrail ownership weld repair held up nicely tho...
    Ouch , how on earth did you manage that , trying to dig a hole ??
    5B / Promx 30.5.
    +
    Shorty Roofchopper rail

    :ph34r::shuriken::ph34r::hail:

  6. #26
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default

    I hit the only manhole cover on the whole field... Not for the first time either. Deffo standing on top of the cover next time.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default

    so I took the chassis back to work today for more clearance on the front





    and I let my Dad lose on the speed "windows" this afternoon



    I've decided to hammer to cage flat for now, and weld a little chassis brace in the dead space between the cage bulkhead and the hpi chassis





    BZM fits new engine mounts required, the flywheel side mount has already broken off the cage, and the clutch side needs a rework for the 70mm ProMX


  8. #28
    Baja-Forum Maniac dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim the Cosmic Goth View Post
    so I took the chassis back to work today for more clearance on the front





    and I let my Dad lose on the speed "windows" this afternoon



    I've decided to hammer to cage flat for now, and weld a little chassis brace in the dead space between the cage bulkhead and the hpi chassis





    BZM fits new engine mounts required, the flywheel side mount has already broken off the cage, and the clutch side needs a rework for the 70mm ProMX

    Hi Jim , intrigued to know why you are using a main chassis within the cage as the tank and radio box normally are held in buy posts welded onto the cage floor .
    Good idea on cutting it back more and strengthening at the front , these cages have always imo needed more bracing at that point.
    When i welded mine up i put in some strength braces in that area for exactly that reason .
    5B / Promx 30.5.
    +
    Shorty Roofchopper rail

    :ph34r::shuriken::ph34r::hail:

  9. #29
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default

    I don't know why my cage doesn't have the plates at the front, the shorty cage before had them same as yours.

    also my cage doesn't have any tabs welded in to hold the front y plate, so you need the chassis mounts for the y plate and steering holes

    I'm just going to keep working on this until its all nearly bullet proof before attempting a scratch build.

    and.....
    I just like the fact a stock radio box, stock fuel tank and a nearly complete stock chassis all fit inside this monster cage you shorty guys have got it all the wrong way round its not less space you need, it MORE

  10. #30
    Contributor 1wheelOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    3,331

    Default

    This things a MONSTER !
    It's actually longer and wider than a losi !

    The term 1/5th scale no longer applies lol

  11. #31
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default

    new engine mounts and front brace cut out






  12. #32
    Baja-Forum Maniac Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Aldershot
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim the Cosmic Goth View Post
    I don't know why my cage doesn't have the plates at the front, the shorty cage before had them same as yours.

    also my cage doesn't have any tabs welded in to hold the front y plate, so you need the chassis mounts for the y plate and steering holes

    I'm just going to keep working on this until its all nearly bullet proof before attempting a scratch build.

    and.....
    I just like the fact a stock radio box, stock fuel tank and a nearly complete stock chassis all fit inside this monster cage you shorty guys have got it all the wrong way round its not less space you need, it MORE
    Less is More is a wee bit tight in a shorty

  13. #33
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Less is More is a wee bit tight in a shorty
    Cookie you're king of the the shorties!

    Do they let you on rollercoasters yet mate?

  14. #34
    Contributor 1wheelOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    3,331

    Default

    Only this one Jim !

  15. #35
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default

    some more work on this project








  16. #36
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default











    getting close to some new powder on this

  17. #37
    Senior Member roofchopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    cornwall
    Posts
    814

    Default

    hi mate, looks like a kit or a copy, should have a triangle pc on the bottom of the chassis to strengthen the 1st bulk head, the 2 bulk head plates have a 54 mm hole cut in them so with yours being flat plane plate looks like a copy

  18. #38
    Senior Member Jim the Cosmic Goth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Whitwick, Leicestershire
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roofchopper View Post
    hi mate, looks like a kit or a copy, should have a triangle pc on the bottom of the chassis to strengthen the 1st bulk head, the 2 bulk head plates have a 54 mm hole cut in them so with yours being flat plane plate looks like a copy
    yeah I thought it looked like a kit or a copy, don't you supply kits with a welded base to work from? if so the weld on the base here match the rest of the cage so it was probably built as a copy.

    the shorty I had before had front chassis plates and the holes in the bulkheads. all the welds matched and it was vibro engraved with a roofchooper chassis no. can I assume that one is genuine cage?

  19. #39
    Contributor 1wheelOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    3,331

    Default

    I hope so !!! Lmfao

  20. #40
    Member Gary Goldenballs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    woking
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Hi Jim build looks good mate honestly didn't notice the bad welds you've had to repair already sorry about that mate like i said before I'd only just got it and ran it once then stripped, my mate i got it from had sent and messaged roof chopper detailed pics and he had said it def looked like one I his so bit miffed at my self if it is a copy as I wouldn't of sold it titled roof chopper and prob would have questioned it before I bought it myself.. Also the guy my mate got it from had said he's spoken to chopper bout it before ad was told it was one of his too! Suppose in a way it's hard to tell just buy pics sometimes but as it's not engraved it's clear it was a kit at least.. Hope no bad feelings are there bout this mate feel free to contact me for a chat if so as wouldn't want to be known as a ✊ for this lol

    Doing a good job anyway mate look forward to seeing it when it's 'finished' 😜
    KEEP CALM GOLDENBALLS IS HERE!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •