Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: Liquid Mask - Fist attempt

  1. #21

    Default

    I think it looks awesome brotha

    about the only thing I can do when it comes to paintin them is coming up with the theme,wouldn't chance it lol

    are taping and shoe-gooin the mother?

  2. #22
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carp Boyz View Post
    I think it looks awesome brotha

    about the only thing I can do when it comes to paintin them is coming up with the theme,wouldn't chance it lol

    are taping and shoe-gooin the mother?
    Thanks m8,
    Got to do that one last thing. Then get an air brush ,compressor, more paint and some body shells ...

  3. #23
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Thanks m8,
    Got to do that one last thing. Then get an air brush ,compressor, more paint and some body shells ...
    i know you prob allready know this ,but get a decent airbrush, custom paint shop in durham/darlington usually have good stock of airbrush equipment,i've had a fair bit of stuff off em in the past and they always treated me right
    shell looks great by the way

  4. #24
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    i know you prob already know this ,but get a decent airbrush, custom paint shop in durham/darlington usually have good stock of airbrush equipment,i've had a fair bit of stuff off em in the past and they always treated me right
    shell looks great by the way
    Just been looking for a website . This is where I have been looking so far.http://www.rcsgraphicworx.co.uk/index.php What do you think. Only sprayed 3 shells before now so have no clue what I want/need.

  5. #25
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Just been looking for a website . This is where I have been looking so far.http://www.rcsgraphicworx.co.uk/index.php What do you think. Only sprayed 3 shells before now so have no clue what I want/need.
    ow do,
    i use an iwata airbrush, also have a couple of badger airbrushes (old ones) as well,
    i'm not the best person for advice on an airbrush cos i don't use em for lexan shells (always used rattle can for lexan),
    i use mine for exterior right way round work,not inside back to front work ,
    that link you gave mate, you can't even seem to see what your buying,prob a good shop but at least they should put some pics in there,
    there are loads of suppliers out there, i just said about custom paint shop.com cos i've dealt with em and the owner is a custom painter on full size cars/helmets etc etc,
    if you drop em an email i'm sure they would give advice on what you should be using ,
    or one of the painters on here would surely give you some advice on what works for them mate,
    hope this helps a bit mate,
    paul

  6. #26
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    ow do,
    i use an iwata airbrush, also have a couple of badger airbrushes (old ones) as well,
    i'm not the best person for advice on an airbrush cos i don't use em for lexan shells (always used rattle can for lexan),
    i use mine for exterior right way round work,not inside back to front work ,
    that link you gave mate, you can't even seem to see what your buying,prob a good shop but at least they should put some pics in there,
    there are loads of suppliers out there, i just said about custom paint shop.com cos i've dealt with em and the owner is a custom painter on full size cars/helmets etc etc,
    if you drop em an email i'm sure they would give advice on what you should be using ,
    or one of the painters on here would surely give you some advice on what works for them mate,
    hope this helps a bit mate,
    paul
    Thanks Paul,
    Huge subject to throw myself into. The link was for the liquid mask, but agree it's not the best site for a noob. The shell I painted would look more 3D if I had fades/shadow lines etc which is why I'd like to try an air brush next... (I) can't do that with rattle cans. Have you got any examples of shells or other items you painted? would like to have a look ...

  7. #27
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Thanks Paul,
    Huge subject to throw myself into. The link was for the liquid mask, but agree it's not the best site for a noob. The shell I painted would look more 3D if I had fades/shadow lines etc which is why I'd like to try an air brush next... (I) can't do that with rattle cans. Have you got any examples of shells or other items you painted? would like to have a look ...
    all of my shells etc have always been one or two colours , thats why i used rattle cans, cos the shells always got the c**p smashed out of em, other stuff i have done is brothers bike tanks/panels, mates vespa which was a joint paint job with his missus (she is a very good artist) i did the main spray job and a few skulls from stencils and she did some templar scenes in pencil would you belive, then i clear coated over them, unfortunately any pics i have are on our pc (i'm on laptop now) the pc went bang in march so all pics are stuck on that,
    never really done much custom stuff but like you would love to learn,
    need to get my finger out and attempt something ,
    i think the saying is, the more you practice the better you get ,
    my kraken twin which i need to finish was just gonna get an obr wrap on the nylon panels, but now i am tempted to try and come up with a paint job on em, only something basic though,
    i am in no way an expert in painting, i only learnt by having a go and learning from my mistakes, and from other people,
    this thread has sort of given me a push again to dig out the airbrush and have a go again mate,
    if your gonna stick with the painting though, buy the best gear you can afford mate, in the past i've bought really cheap stuff that never lasts or works as you want it too,
    good luck mate

  8. #28
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Same here. two colours at most with custom decals and masking tape. The masking film I used is a lot quicker and easier to cut than masking tape. Been offered a air brush and pump earlier today, still waiting to find out the make of 'em.

    The pencil drawing sounds intresting /different which is always a good in my book. Don't bother with a wrap, get the air brush out.

    Good to hear someone got something out of the thread. nice one.

    Thanks


    Edit: Page needs abit of colour.


    Vent holes cut.



    Be good to have more talk, pictures, tips on equipment in here.
    Last edited by Rev; 16-11-2014 at 17:03.
    L-E-L

  9. #29
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Same here. two colours at most with custom decals and masking tape. The masking film I used is a lot quicker and easier to cut than masking tape. Been offered a air brush and pump earlier today, still waiting to find out the make of 'em.

    The pencil drawing sounds intresting /different which is always a good in my book. Don't bother with a wrap, get the air brush out.

    Good to hear someone got something out of the thread. nice one.

    Thanks
    allready got the wrap it's been sat in a drawer since july, i will use it sometime though, just been looking at special effects paints at the place i mentioned, so gonna go that route now i think , if i ever get the pics off my other computer i will post em on here somewhere, i would take some new pics but the paint job was done about eight years ago now and is looking a bit tatty ,
    if you buy a second hand airbrush, make sure the spares are still available for it,ie: tips/needles etc,
    parts do wear out on them eventually

    just to add, my iwata airbrush is the bcs eclipse with a 0.5mm nozzle/needle, half decent all round airbrush, there about 130 ish now,lots of diiferent makes out there though,
    Last edited by spentallmymoneyagain; 16-11-2014 at 17:26.

  10. #30
    Member Eyeayen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, UK
    Posts
    193

    Default

    John, bit late to this now, you should have asked advice on airbrushes chap.

    I would highly recommend Iwata, and this is bloody brilliant ! - https://airbrushes.com/product_info....3b1fd2e058e571

    I think I did most of your shell with this one ! I have another Iwata for detail but it's not good with these paints, the one I've listed above it like a dream to use, it's amazing, especially seeing as it's cheap.

    You can buy cheap copies ( and 90% of the copies are immitations of Iwata ! ) but they just don't work the same. When I started doing these shells I bought one cos I didn't want to eff up my nice detail airbrush with this horrible paint but as it was only 30 I didn't expect much, it just didn't work well, it was okay but not to a consistant standard.

    Your masking and shell work looks okay, airbrushing will make it easier but the paint has a rubberiser in it, this means it will go over the mask and be awkward to pull off. If you leave it to properly dry out in between colours, like over night then when you come to remove the mask the paint will have adhered to the shell better. Also you don't need to coat it the same as if you were painting on the outside. Work from dark to light and the colour you put on behind will make it go more solid so you really don't need to put as much paint on as you think you have to.

    If you do need a compressor I would suggest one of these,

    http://www.aircomps.co.uk/product-ca.../bambi-budget/

    they're about a third off of retail at this place, brilliant, I had one of these at college in 1994 and it's still going strong, best thing is they're only as noisy as a fridge so you can hear your airbrush, as opposed to my big compressor that sounds like some sort of rapid fire anti aircraft gun when it goes off, always makes me jump, ****es the neighbours off. This one I've gone worked through the night in the garage and no one is any the wiser cos it sounds like a fridge. Infact the heat gun is louder than this...

    Hope that helps, if you're still stuck and I'm not too late with this post give me a call if you want more advice.

  11. #31
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Lol. Bought a lot of tins for the next paint job ( Beetle). Have saved the links you posted and will have a good look next year. See how I get on with this next one . Take more time over this one.lol

    Thanks for advice.
    Last edited by Rev; 10-01-2015 at 15:36.

  12. #32
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Liquid mask 2nd attempt
    Air brush 1st attempt

    started masking up a new design on a beetle shell.

    Last edited by Rev; 14-02-2015 at 09:36.
    L-E-L

  13. #33
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Got the bonnet cut out. Needs some tidying up.

    L-E-L

  14. #34
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Eyes have had enough for now.







    Should get the pinstripes completed tomorrow, maybe ...
    Last edited by Rev; 31-01-2015 at 22:55.
    L-E-L

  15. #35
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Wasn't pleased with what i'd done on the side so had another go. Got the other side to do now.





    Edit :

    The template survived so thought i'd see what it's like used in reverse ...? not sure about that at the moment.





    Last edited by Rev; 01-02-2015 at 18:39.
    L-E-L

  16. #36
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Began to put down some colour . Been practising with a new air brush and type of paint. Pleased with the crisp edge and colour. Going to fade the next colours.









    Last edited by Rev; 01-04-2015 at 20:48.
    L-E-L

  17. #37
    Member Eyeayen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, UK
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Jon are you fading those massive area's ?

    Lexan is a nightmare to fade on as the static attracts it and you get these sort of ghost fart effects all over the fade rather than a nice smooth colour.

    Lay down a pearl or transparent colour first, you only need a light dust coat and then do the fade on that and it will be fine.

  18. #38
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeayen View Post
    Jon are you fading those massive area's ?

    Lexan is a nightmare to fade on as the static attracts it and you get these sort of ghost fart effects all over the fade rather than a nice smooth colour.

    Lay down a pearl or transparent colour first, you only need a light dust coat and then do the fade on that and it will be fine.
    Thanks for the tip Ian. Decided to do solid colours. Going for more of a 'halo' than 'fade'.


    few more colours done.






    Edit:

    Even using water based paint a film is formed over the mask which can pull off the colour already applied. Either still using to much paint or didn't key the surface enough. Can probably remask and tidy up a few parts.

    3 colours left to do; Steel, White and gun metal.



    Last edited by Rev; 04-04-2015 at 15:14.
    L-E-L

  19. #39
    Baja-Forum Maniac Rev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Finished the paint . Just need to trim n tidy the shell, remove window mask.Still need a lot of practice painting. Went to heavy on the black halo and although air brushing uses less paint than rattle cans i still used more than i needed too. ( Need to keep turning the shell more often to see what it's like from the outside)




    Last edited by Rev; 05-04-2015 at 11:39.
    L-E-L

  20. #40
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    well i think it looks spot on mate ,
    you know the old saying, practice makes perfect, this one is better than your last one, the next one will be better than this one,
    from what you say above,you have the same problem i do when painting, thats resisting the urge to put just
    a bit more paint on , i do it every time i paint anything and can't seem to get out of the habit of one more pass will finish it off when there was enough on to start with ,
    you should stick with it cos it looks like you have the talent and patiance for it ,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •