Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandrail build

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Attachment 20474Attachment 20475Attachment 20476

Here you go..Lifting the servo would solve the problem I think, what do you use to do that and do I have to shorten the brass connection to the carb as well. Cheers Paul thanks for your help.

sorry mate can't work out why the photos come out sideways.
    ey up mate,
    i have the same linkage on my twin (it's almost the same, just a couple of minor differences on the twin version), i am pretty sure i have the two plastic slides (on top of the servo horn) in opposite directions, ie: the rods not directley above each other but offset,
    i will have a look tomorrow and see which way i have it, not going out now cos it's dark and freezing ,
    you could also try turning your brake arm (the bit at the back with the eye in it) upside down,
    the brake rod does run close to the carb connector but should just about clear it, there should be no need to shorten the brass bit,
    it took a bit of trial and error but once they are sorted there great,
    hope you get it right mate,
    paul (a different paul)

Attachment 20474Attachment 20475Attachment 20476

Here you go..Lifting the servo would solve the problem I think, what do you use to do that and do I have to shorten the brass connection to the carb as well. Cheers Paul thanks for your help.

sorry mate can't work out why the photos come out sideways.
    This is how I did mine on stock chassis using a TFE servo mount, try putting some blocks under the four servo screws to lift

http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/showthre...l=1#post319829

http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/showthre...l=1#post352922
    Last edited by llazaru; 13-01-2015 at 22:53.

Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    ey up mate,
    i have the same linkage on my twin (it's almost the same, just a couple of minor differences on the twin version), i am pretty sure i have the two plastic slides (on top of the servo horn) in opposite directions, ie: the rods not directley above each other but offset,
    i will have a look tomorrow and see which way i have it, not going out now cos it's dark and freezing ,
    you could also try turning your brake arm (the bit at the back with the eye in it) upside down,
    the brake rod does run close to the carb connector but should just about clear it, there should be no need to shorten the brass bit,
    it took a bit of trial and error but once they are sorted there great,
    hope you get it right mate,
    paul (a different paul)

Thanks Paul I'm gonna try your ideas tommorrow.

Default making progress

Well after some good advice from both Pauls got the linkage sorted. Also made a rolling support for the long brake spoke. I wanted to clear the carb connection just enough. After working on my son's scooter I found the top screw connection on a spark plug roller.jpgroller2.jpgroller3.jpgmade an ideal roller. I just drilled it out to 4mm with nutlocks either side. Works perfect.

Well after some good advice from both Pauls got the linkage sorted. Also made a rolling support for the long brake spoke. I wanted to clear the carb connection just enough. After working on my son's scooter I found the top screw connection on a spark plug roller.jpgroller2.jpgroller3.jpgmade an ideal roller. I just drilled it out to 4mm with nutlocks either side. Works perfect.
    that looks roughly the same amount of clearance as i have with mine,
    glad you got it worked out
    i don't have a roller on mine though
    although you have got longer rods now ,

Quote Originally Posted by llazaru View Post
    thanks for the help,never seen those before

much appreciated

would you happen to know if the hoses rated for 180c are suitable for the baja or is the hose rated for 220c a better chioce?

if memory serves correct, you might have to cut corner off choke lever too, think I did before changing to a 990

Default Sandrail build

Or reverse the shaft and put choke on the other side of the carb

Default DIY panels

I am wondering whether or not to fit panels to the LWB sandrail. Has anyone done this? Any tips on what to use. I have copper and zinc sheet about 1.5mm thick . Cheers

Default Foam Insert advice

Hi Guys

can anyone advise me which Inserts I should buy for my Sandrail? I have the Silverback Simian wheels and being that the rail is heavy I have been looking at the Hostile Foams but can't seem to find zero growth rear foams anywhere or are the Hpi ones just as good

Thanks

Martin

Hi Guys

can anyone advise me which Inserts I should buy for my Sandrail? I have the Silverback Simian wheels and being that the rail is heavy I have been looking at the Hostile Foams but can't seem to find zero growth rear foams anywhere or are the Hpi ones just as good

Thanks

Martin
    which tyres are you using martin? 5b or 5t/sc, the tyres are a different height,
    ie: mxt tyres are taller than mx tyres so mxt uses slightly taller foam ,

which tyres are you using martin? 5b or 5t/sc, the tyres are a different height,
    ie: mxt tyres are taller than mx tyres so mxt uses slightly taller foam ,
    Hi Paul

Using Hpi sand paddles back and Hpi sand tyres fronts both 5t/sc both Symian from Silverback. I wasn't sure whether to get 5b fronts to make the front sit lower for a better look but not sure if that would change the handling too much.

Cheers Matey

Hi Paul

Using Hpi sand paddles back and Hpi sand tyres fronts both 5t/sc both Symian from Silverback. I wasn't sure whether to get 5b fronts to make the front sit lower for a better look but not sure if that would change the handling too much.

Cheers Matey
    hi martin,
    if i am wrong with this someone please correct me ,
    if you are using simian wheels all round then they are all the same width as baja fronts, so would need zero growth fronts all round,
    and your tyres are 5t/5sc size, then the 5t/5sc zero growth fronts are in stock at freeprawn racing (the red ones),
    there not cheap though ,
    not sure if using 5b fronts would change the handling much when using 5t/5sc rears but i'm sure you could make adjustments to compensate if the front dug in too much or anything like that,
    hope this is useful info mate,
    paul

edit, silverback have 5t/5sc zero growth fronts in stock as well, they are also cheaper than freeprawn,
    Last edited by spentallmymoneyagain; 02-02-2015 at 12:21.

hi martin,
    if i am wrong with this someone please correct me ,
    if you are using simian wheels all round then they are all the same width as baja fronts, so would need zero growth fronts all round,
    and your tyres are 5t/5sc size, then the 5t/5sc zero growth fronts are in stock at freeprawn racing (the red ones),
    there not cheap though ,
    not sure if using 5b fronts would change the handling much when using 5t/5sc rears but i'm sure you could make adjustments to compensate if the front dug in too much or anything like that,
    hope this is useful info mate,
    paul

edit, silverback have 5t/5sc zero growth fronts in stock as well, they are also cheaper than freeprawn,
    Thanks Paul

It's gonna be Hostile zero growths all round

Default A bit further with build

IMG_0327.jpgIMG_0328.jpgIMG_0329.jpgIMG_0336.jpg

I had a bit of time so covered the skid pan with carbon effect sticky back plastic! ( remember Blue Peter ) and a strip of foam where the skid pan meets the frame. Really pleased with the result although won't last long when in the sand. The inside of the Sandrail looks pretty good.IMG_0340.jpg

Waiting for the zero growth inserts to finish the wheels, did the bolt mod using rvs m3 bolts and rings.

looking great martin ,
    quick question though, what is holding the rear of your front top plate and front of your battery box down?
    can see the two tabs for the front of the top plate but nothing for the rear of the plate ,
    or is it just that i can't see the fixings in the photos ?
    i'm not criticising mate, just can't see how it's tightened down ,

looking great martin ,
    quick question though, what is holding the rear of your front top plate and front of your battery box down?
    can see the two tabs for the front of the top plate but nothing for the rear of the plate ,
    or is it just that i can't see the fixings in the photos ?
    i'm not criticising mate, just can't see how it's tightened down ,
    Hi Paul

Sorry mate didn't get back to you. The battery box is fitted on a plate which is fitted to the bottom frame, the front top plate rear is connected to the battery box plus two extra mounts direct onto the frame, seems quite strong.

Cheers

Martin

Default Wheels fitted

IMG_0345.jpgIMG_0346.jpgIMG_0353.jpg

Hostile zero growths arrived today fitted the wheels to the rail, just still not sure whether to fit panels, already weighs a ton.

hi martin, the rail is looking spot on mate ,
    have you weighed it yet ?
    if you were going to make some panels, there is a place over here called car builder solutions, they sell carbon fibre effect abs sheet, 1350mm x 300mm x 2mm thick at about 33 a sheet, i'm going to use this when i finally get around to building a sandrail, if you go into there website it comes under the heading tube/sheet and materials,
    just a thought if you wanted something a bit more lightweight

hi martin, the rail is looking spot on mate ,
    have you weighed it yet ?
    if you were going to make some panels, there is a place over here called car builder solutions, they sell carbon fibre effect abs sheet, 1350mm x 300mm x 2mm thick at about 33 a sheet, i'm going to use this when i finally get around to building a sandrail, if you go into there website it comes under the heading tube/sheet and materials,
    just a thought if you wanted something a bit more lightweight
    Thanks Paul 18 Kg. I am gonna take a look at their website. Going to start the beast sometime this weekend see what it sounds like. I'ts been quite a learning curve. I am probably going over to the dark side and getting a Losi 5 easy out the box for my next project.