Thread: lauterbacker 3 shoe teflon cltuch

Default lauterbacker 3 shoe teflon clutch

Thought I'd do a quick post on the lbacker 3 shoe teflon clutch. I read a few posts on a US forum and Dutch forum and a few people have said that the 3 shoe is better over the 4 shoe as it generates less heat. I'm a bit bias to the teflon clutches as, apart from engagement point problems that I have had with the 4 shoe they wear much better than stock so hoping this is going to wear as well as the 4 shoe.

Any road, its a really simple design. You have the 3 clutch shoes which are thrown outwards when the clutch spins. The clutch itself is in 2 parts which hold the clutch shoes. For the clutch shoes to move outwards they have to push the 2 parts apart. Holding the parts together is a big spring and a nut. Thats it.

First impressions are I'm well impressed. That said it is only early days, but I really like how simple it is. Its also really simple to adjust to be fair. I first adjusted the clutch with it off the car. I used blue thread lock on the threads for the nut and did the nut up 2 1/2 turns from when it first started to touch the spring. This is about 8500 rpm +. It feels a little higher than the hpi hrs clutch. I did think about backing it out 1/4 turn but just couldn't be bothered as its good now and well punchy. Driving it normally the clutch doesn't seem to be engaging properly as there isn't enough revs on the engine. But when I booted it, it just came in to its own. At 2 1/2 turns in its really aggressive and the power is well punchy. I had the wheels up in the air time and time again today, but along with that wasn't spinning out on the corners. Really good.

Can't comment on the wear at present and how it holds up with TR lightened clutch bell, but if it wears as good as the 4 shoes this could be a fantastic product to have. It does cost 3 times as much as an hpi hrs clutch but what is really nice about it is it instantly disengages when shut the engine down, there is no run on what so ever and its only half the weight of a hpi hrs clutch and clutch plate. Its also fully adjustable with the clutch adjusting tool so you can get it to just how you want it. I can't see the big spring suffering from heat and/or varying engagement points at present but will post on that along with wear in a few months. But so far I am really liking this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by biscuits; 25-01-2015 at 19:51.

Default Update after 7 tanks

Thought I'd do a further post on this with some pics of the actual thing and the problems I have found using it so far.

It basically comes in 2 main parts which are held together by a spring which can be tightened by this round nut. You have to use an adjusting tool to turn the nut. The base of the clutch fits on to your crankshaft and is held in place by a countersunk hex bolt. It is removed by taking out the hex bolt and putting a bigger bolt in which pushes the clutch off of the the crank shaft. So really easy to get on and off.

You can also leave the bottom bit of the clutch, the same as a clutch plate, still fastened to the crankshaft with the counter hex bolt in and you can change the clutch shoes with the clutch still in place which is quite handy.

The 3 clutch shoes are held between the two main parts which are forced apart by the clutch shoes when the shoes try to move outwards. The two parts are held together by the spring and depending on how tight you do the spring depends on where the clutch engages.

Been using this for around 7 tanks now. The clutch was still working fine and I wouldn't have even inspected it but I took the car apart last night. When I inspected the shoes they were really worn in one direction. When I looked at the shoes they have chamfers on each side, they are identical in height and angle, but on one of the sides the chamfer is longer. I think what is happening is really simple in the fact that the longer chamfer is staying in the clutch later and twisting the clutch shoes. It makes sense that the spring is applying equal pressure to both sides of the clutch shoes but because the clutch shoes are not equal on both sides the do not exit the clutch simultaneously. Its basics really, if you have equal pressure on either side of the clutch shoes and the sides of the clutch shoes are identical, not different, then it would go to say that the clutch shoes should exit the clutch at the exact same time.

When you have a look at the pics you can see the different length chamfers. I personally cannot ever see this clutch ever working correctly like this. You just got to look at it logically and looking at it now I can't see why they did make it like that, but suppose there must be a reason.
    Last edited by biscuits; 15-03-2015 at 01:59.

Any road, thought I'd mod it as the clutch shoes are quite soft so you can cut them with a sharp knife and make the longer chamfer the same as the shorter one. So basically the clutch shoes are identical either side basically symmetrical.

The other thing that I have done is backed out the nut a little. But I am going to adjust it out in the field as its realy easy to do. But basically I am going to turn it down a little so it doesn't build up so much heat as this should make it last longer too.

I will post further how this mod goes and how long the clutch shoes last. But to be honest if this doesn't work I'm not going to bother with it any further and I will just be putting the hpi one back on. Personally, I am a bit ****ed to be fair as looking at it now it obviously hasn't been tested properly.

That said I think that this concept has heaps of potential and I have already emailed Lauterbacker and will email Lauterbacker how this goes. It might just be a case of a slight product change in the clutch shoes. But it would be nice to work with them and come up with a better design that will work properly.

At present I wouldn't be going out buying one of these unless you are willing to swap out your clutch shoes every 7-10 tanks of fuel. If you can currently put up with this its a nice bit of kit as its super light, fully adjustable and easy to use.
    Last edited by biscuits; 15-03-2015 at 02:28.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

it's always struck me as a bit strange to use something thats super slippy non stick (teflon) for a clutch shoe,
    when you want something super grippy to lock the clutch up and reduce slip ,

Ive got 2 4 shoe clutchs off them and they ard great.
    Intressted to see what the outcome is
    Hpi Baja 5Bss
    BZM micro 28.5cc + BZM Pipe POWER!
    http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/showthre...7704-AD-s-Baja

Out of interest what have you got the engagement set at, all been well i will be getting the new MIP clutch soon but only even considering this so i can use my Ti clutch bell all in the name of lightness and weight saving of the drive. But beats me how the teflon shoes actually last at all, i was going to make some alloy clutch shoes and still may do if the MIP don't work.
    We all like MODS and improved products so keep use posted on the progress.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Good questions there guys. I like the teflon clutches as they don't seem to wear as much as normal clutches. My old 4 shoes is 18 months old and it would still be going if I was still using it. The only problem I had with the 4 shoe was I could never get it to hold engagement RPM so stopped using it. I think that some of the lack of wear to it was mainly due to me never being able to get it to engage anywhere near 8000rpm, it was always less.

I was currently running this clutch at approximately 9000rpm engagement, maybe a bit more. Mainly because I couldn't be bothered to adjust it once it was on the car and also because I wanted to test it to death. I think that it would last much longer about 7000rpm.

I'm hoping that the clutch shoes will wear more evenly now and if I lower the engagement a bit that it will last a lot longer. I ran the car in the shed this afternoon after rebuilding it and the engagement feels like around 8000rpm. I think that I might lower it a bit more but need to get it out to do it properly as trying to guess the clutch engagement in my shed isn't really going to work. Will post further on this once I have battered it a bit more
    Last edited by biscuits; 15-03-2015 at 23:57.

9k on the baja
    7500 on the losi
    Hpi Baja 5Bss

Quote Originally Posted by (-:AD:-) View Post
    9k on the baja
    7500 on the losi
    Is that on both your 4 shoe Teflon's?

The only reason why I ask is I've had 2 four shoes and never been able to get them to work. But a lot of people seem to get on with them that I am wondering if there are copies out there and that's possibly the ones that I had. I'm also running a TR lightened clutch bell and wondering if this will attribute to accelerated wear

yeah.

They where both brought from freeprawn.

ive a tr enclosed clutch on the baja with a standard bell(not lightened as I snapped one of them)
    a bartalone clutch carrier (open) and a vertigo hex bell on the losi
    both systems it works well
    Hpi Baja 5Bss

I'll see how this goes now for the between time before possibly thinking about another. The last 4 shoe that I managed to get to open at 9000rpm melted. I might be wrong but personally I can't see this clutch working properly ever and the clutch shoe sides are still going to come out of the clutch at different intervals as there is nothing in the set up to stop the shoes from twisting and doing this. When I look at it now this is the only clutch on the market that the pads can actually go in any direction or angle other than 90degrees to the face of the clutch bell. Basically all clutch shoes are held in place to the face of the clutch bell but can only move outwards or inwards. On this clutch they can move outwards and inwards and are able to twist as they come out. Basically, sometimes the pads might be square on, or maybe only just the corners touching. I mean, really. Who sits down and thinks up these things???

What I am annoyed with is, purely with just with a little bit of extra thought, I am about 95% certain that this could be one of the best clutch set ups to have ever. This is my own personal opinion, but if what I have just done modding the pads doesn't work then its not worth anyone bothering with it any further. Which I think is a real pity
    Last edited by biscuits; 16-03-2015 at 22:52.

Default looks familiar

http://radiocontrolracing.co.uk/epag...roducts/150201

Found this whilst searching for clutches and trying to find out how other people have got on with this clutch. One thing I noticed with the contrast clutch are the shoes are symmetrical so maybe I was on the right lines by making them the same both sides. That said also found out by reading around that there are different types of ptfe such as the pure white stuff, kind of off white, red and black for example. All have different wear properties. Odd how not many companies seem to be using these different options. Not sure what to make of it.