Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Default OHO's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6

I'm not really sure if you lads on here enjoy scaling/trailing/crawling, but figured I'd post my latest toy up.
    Not given myself any treats at all for quite a few months, so figured I deserved one.

First of the hop ups arrived

I don't usually take any pride in lexan shells, they usually go plain black or a plain single colour and that's it, basically bought to smash and protect the electrics... But this one I took a bit more time and care and really like how it came out.

After finishing the initial build, I set about adding some of my own touches.
    Firstly, I made some scale bungee's.

Then I wanted some netting to the rear as it looked a bit plain in my opinion, I'm not a huge fan of panels, so some kind of net effect seemed the best way to go, but instead of mesh or tights or similar, I didn't want perfect square holes, so I hunted around and found some old non slip mat stuff and set about cutting and hot glue gunning

I liked the first bit, so I carried on

And that's were I'm up to now basically.
    I have some bits on the way, so it's just the million year wait for the postie knocking!

Ye! I like that mate.
    How much is one of them? An most importantly are they fast?

Erm the basic kit is 259, then you've got electrics on top, then any upgrades, so far I'm about 650ish into it.
    Not fast no, well, not by like Baja standards, just basically made to trail round dirt tracks/woods/rocks etc... Bit of a general purpose sort of truck
    You can put brushless systems in them, but because of the way the chassis is constructed, you get quite bad torque twist, plus, they just aren't made for speed.

Still nice though...

Thanks buddy I'm liking it.
    Last time I build the SCX10 chassis, I made it shorter wheelbase right from the box to fit the RC4WD Land Rover D90 shell, so I never got to enjoy it in stock form and it crawls awesome!

Like the rock crawlers, nice build..

I was tempted last yr to get the same, still tempted but know nowt about electrics/ecu/speed controllers etc..

:gunsmile:IT'S BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TOO FADE AWAY !!!! !:gunsmile:

Quote Originally Posted by jackobyte View Post
    Like the rock crawlers, nice build..

I was tempted last yr to get the same, still tempted but know nowt about electrics/ecu/speed controllers etc..
    If you need any advice regarding electrics, just give me a tinkle Ian, always happy to help out when I can.

Took this out for her first trail today, stood on my blood tripod trying to avoid a pile of dog crap, ended up dropping it and stood on it and broke a leg off so no video, just a few pictures
    Runs really good, very happy thus far.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

great pics mate ,
    not been into electric for a while now but would like one of these sometime in the future,
    would probably go 1/10th wraith or 1/8th yeti though,
    not really clued up on electric any more though, all the lipo stuff scares me , heard too many horror stories,

Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    great pics mate ,
    not been into electric for a while now but would like one of these sometime in the future,
    would probably go 1/10th wraith or 1/8th yeti though,
    not really clued up on electric any more though, all the lipo stuff scares me , heard too many horror stories,
    Most LiPo horror stories are from people being idiots with them really.
    Leaving them charging unattended, submerging them completely in water without waterproofing, not securing them properly, and the main one is using ones that aren't powerful enough for the application.
    As with Ian, if you want any help, just drop me a PM so we don't clog my thread up, I'll be happy to guide you in the right direction.
    I loved my Wraith, but it's strength was also it's weakness, it was wide, but it meant it actually got 'beached' on the axles and links more often.
    I prefer the SCX10 personally.

Well we did indeed get out... Almost 3 hours from each battery and that put them both to 3.8v per cell, so could easily have 3 1/2 hours from the packs, mine are 1,000mAh bigger but my motor is a bit faster, so they end up lasting the exact same time.

No breakages, apart from a LiPo buzzer, but I was hitting the puddles and mud hard, absolutely loving it!
    No video as of yet I'm afraid, I did manage to snap a few pictures on the way round though, hope you like!

Well I decided to go in a bit more of a different way with this... The initial plan was to make it look quite scale, but I realise it simply isn't ever going to be a scaler, I want it to be good off road, not necessarily look as good as possible off road, so... I've chopped the front arches and cut away a small portion of the rear to bring the body right down.
    I also think this looks better and looks slightly more aggressive.
    I also have another plan for the cage, but one thing at a time...

lmfao so it took you all of five days before you took the knife/dremel to it ?
    your as bad as me mate, always gotta change sommat ,

lmfao so it took you all of five days before you took the knife/dremel to it ?
    your as bad as me mate, always gotta change sommat ,
    5 days in my world is aaaaages
    I've now chopped some of the back of the cage too, I think it looks better, even though it's only a very subtle difference.

Bit more progress after we got back from a little run this afternoon, got my bumpers from Gaz this morning, so set about fitting them this evening.
    Absolutely EXACTLY what I wanted, both front and rear, got it spot on, I went with a very specific design and size, for many reasons.
    Also got my land anchor attached to the winch 'rope' and bolted the winch onto the front bumper.
    Overall, I'm happy, I also fit some +6mm offset hubs, which have really made a good difference, and I've put 20g in each rear wheels and 40g in each front, along with fitting a new set of Boom Racing shocks, which I'm very pleased with, currently on a droop set up and I like them a lot, more suits my driving style and 'needs' than sprung!
    I just need to figure out a secure but easily removable place for the LiPo to go now.
    Once that's figured out, she's basically done, other than tyres, which will come at a later date, plus maybe a few accessories on the back.

Comments/input very welcome

looks better with the cage mod, getting rid of that rear piece looks a lot better mate,
    i like the idea of the internaly sprung shocks as well,
    one (probably dumb ) question, the electric motors that are used in the 1/10th and 1/8th scale crawler type venicles, what rpm are they ?
    only asking cos had an idea for a project maybe next winter, i would like to do a 1/8th yeti but try to change from leccy to a 10 or 15 cc aero petrol engine,
    it's just an idea going round in my head ,

looks better with the cage mod, getting rid of that rear piece looks a lot better mate,
    i like the idea of the internaly sprung shocks as well,
    one (probably dumb ) question, the electric motors that are used in the 1/10th and 1/8th scale crawler type venicles, what rpm are they ?
    only asking cos had an idea for a project maybe next winter, i would like to do a 1/8th yeti but try to change from leccy to a 10 or 15 cc aero petrol engine,
    it's just an idea going round in my head ,
    Cheers, I think it does too, but then again, I always liked the Wraith with a cut rear, I just prefer the slope to the 90degree angle lol.
    As far as RPM, they vary in range to be honest, a small handful of people put slow sensored brushless systems in these, with very low kv.
    Were as most opt for a brushed system, simply because of the torque, plus the run times you get can be pretty crazy in comparison to a brushless RC.
    If you're looking into a petrol conversion the first thing I'd check is engine size to fit under the cage.
    It'd be one hell of a project that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    Cheers, I think it does too, but then again, I always liked the Wraith with a cut rear, I just prefer the slope to the 90degree angle lol.
    As far as RPM, they vary in range to be honest, a small handful of people put slow sensored brushless systems in these, with very low kv.
    Were as most opt for a brushed system, simply because of the torque, plus the run times you get can be pretty crazy in comparison to a brushless RC.
    If you're looking into a petrol conversion the first thing I'd check is engine size to fit under the cage.
    It'd be one hell of a project that's for sure!
    thanks for answer mate, the petrol idea was one of those 1.30am i'm tired but can't sleep wonder if it would work things ,
    it would be an end of year project anyway, something different to tinker with over winter,
    everyone seems to have the 1/8th yeti on order with supplier at moment as well,
    i was thinking small aero petrol cos they are quite small, but they don't rev that high compared to zenoah/cy 1/5th scale engines,
    plus do it in a way that it could be converted back to leccy fairly cheaply if it doesn't work out ,

Have to admit, I'm not a Yeti fan, but each to their own of course lol.
    I'm just trying to think up a way and design for some inner fenders, help with keeping crud and water out, while hiding most of the RC looking bits on the chassis and hopefully add a little bit of realism.