Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: irc big bores advise please

and since we are here,what are yours recomendations with shock oil?

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CatalinU View Post
    and since we are here,what are yours recomendations with shock oil?
    for big bores mate, this stuff below, i use 35wt front and 45wt rear,

http://abbotsrc.co.uk/Team-Associate...-P4210580.aspx

I use 35 front and 60 rear ....
    TR.D.I.A.F.W .... SUPPORT LOCAL VENDORS ....

THX mate,i will try that way first,i was so confused drilling a beand new thing,but will give a try to your mod.THX guys for your help
    Drilling them is fine. Nothing wrong with it. It was what we were all doing to them before the fuel pipe. I didn't want to drill mine either. The fuel pipe makes a better shock bush than the current metal bushing where the shock rattles around. Plus no modding needed.

Try the fuel pipe first. Then if you don't like it then drill them. Guarantee you probably won't drill them once you have fitted fuel pipe though.

Shock set up is shock set up. We are all different and you will get loads of different set ups. But here is mine if its any help.

I got progressive springs on the front with 25wt oil and mid progressive springs on the rear with 50wt oil. I might fit the HD springs on the back again but last time I had them on the rear of the car was too bouncy
    Last edited by biscuits; 22-02-2016 at 00:16.

[QUOTE=biscuits;395892

I got progressive springs on the front with 25wt oil and mid progressive springs on the rear with 50wt oil. I might fit the HD springs on the back again but last time I had them on the rear of the car was too bouncy[/QUOTE]

I tried the rear HD springs year before last and agree with Andy ....they are too bouncy, but I had 80wt oil in them so went back to the normal ones last year. However I'm going to give them a go again this year with some lower wt shock oil and have them fitted as in the pic . My home made adjustable shock limiters proved to be up to the job last year. These are Swingy P's cables attached to the bottom arm with my home made adjustable mounts and threaded studding. The idea is that by pulling the rear end down lower to the ground there's less body roll and less bounce when the shocks extend after hitting a hump in the ground.
    I had a cable pull out last year but not from the bottom end , but from the top eyelet. I use 35 wt oil in the fronts and find this is good for me. But it's what ever works for you. No two cars seem to drive the same with the same settings and oils.

That was a wicked mod those adjustable limiting cables Si. I remember reading the post. I think they are awesome

Not a bad idea HD with lower shock oil. I was still running the 50wt oil setting at the time and just changed springs. I didn't think about trying a lower shock oil and keeping HD springs, thats something worth trying. Mine does smash on the ground hitting bumps but its fine over jumps though. So maybe HD springs with lower shock oil might be better. I can wined my shock springs down a bit but I think you got to have a balance with the car being low enough for cornering but high enough for jumping and bumps.

Be interested how that goes Si. I have some 30wt oil you can have if you want it if its any help.

does the outerwears fit over the shocks?

Don't know to be fair m8. Wouldn't mind knowing though. Never tried outerwears as they seemed too expensive to me for something I would end up putting holes in. I smack my shock covers quite a lot and put holes in them.
    I tend to go for something like this. http://uberrc.com/category/hpi-baja-shock-sock-range/ I've got two of these on at the moment on each shock. I put the new ones over the old ones

The shockwears don't fit big bores....not even close

I think irc who makes the shocks sell outerwares for them

IRC do sell shock socks but hole really easy, might has well use the wifes suspenders.

Sent via tapatalk on a mobile devise.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Quote Originally Posted by mark35 View Post
    The shockwears don't fit big bores....not even close
    well mark,thats bad news for me

Quote Originally Posted by Baja5b-SS View Post
    IRC do sell shock socks but hole really easy, might has well use the wifes suspenders.

Sent via tapatalk on a mobile devise.
    Thats another bad news for today
    Any good news?

Thats another bad news for today
    Any good news?
    Yeah it's a bit of a bummer that the outer wears don't fit big bores. As said you can get the Lycra type socks from IRC but not easy to get on without disconnecting the shock from the lower arm , and they're still not so easy to fit.
    It's a damn shame outer wears have not picked up on this an started making over sized socks with the Velcro for the big bores as they do for the stock shocks. And I'm surprised some one else hasn't too before now. But then again with the amount of space big bores take up inside the upper arms maybe anything thicker than Lycra won't go in anyway
    Last edited by coalminer; 18-04-2016 at 01:21.

You are right.I know they are huge,but still i think an outerwear will fit,if somedbody would be to make one

Wouldnt hd springs with lower wt oil be even more bouncier than higher wt oil...? As far as i understand oil flowing trough piston holes provide resistance to shock..So lighter wt oil will allow faster up and down piston movement and that combined with harder spring will get bouncy setup because oil doesnt provide enough resistance to resist spring action...If model is bouncy-higher wt oil or weaker spring should help(need to find working combination/happy medium because to soft springs and car will be hitting bottom on every small bump on the other side to heavy wt oil will make shocks to stiff and shock at bumps wouldnt compress which could lead to breaking(piston or part of suspension)...