Thread: Which tyres?

Default Which tyres?

Hi All,

I have been looking at getting some new treads, but can't decide which ones to have. Mainly I'm running on grass.

Has anyone used Proline Bow Ties are they any good?

The UBER Vipers look good and have good reviews on here and so do the Hostile MX's.

I was thinking about getting Viper rears and Bow Tie fronts.

Any opinions welcome?

Many thanks,

Milo.
    BETTER TO LIVE A DAY AS A TIGER THAN A LIFE AS A SHEEP!

Mx's are great. The extra hard last really well and are a good tire. When I was at basfest I tried a set of the uber vipers and for racing they are much better than mx's. You also don't need to invest in any zero growth inserts for them so pound for pound the cost is the same.

Only problem with vipers is no one knows how long the last but I think even if they are quite worn I still think you will get good grip and they are much better at going round corners than mx's.

I would get vipers for the back with the standard hpi inserts and mx's on the front but put some better inserts in them instead of that rubbish hpi soft foam. That's what I'm running now. The viper fronts should be out end of the year along with mini vipers.

Or get mx's all round with zero growth inserts on the back if you are worried about having odd looking tires. But the zero grows do make your wheels heavier so your car will accelerate slightly quicker with the vipers on
    Last edited by biscuits; 26-05-2015 at 08:39.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    Mx's are great. The extra hard last really well and are a good tire. When I was at basfest I tried a set of the uber vipers and for racing they are much better than mx's. You also don't need to invest in any zero growth inserts for them so pound for pound the cost is the same.

Only problem with vipers is no one knows how long the last but I think even if they are quite worn I still think you will get good grip and they are much better at going round corners than mx's.

I would get vipers for the back with the standard hpi inserts and mx's on the front but put some better inserts in them instead of that rubbish hpi soft foam. That's what I'm running now. The viper fronts should be out end of the year along with mini vipers.

Or get mx's all round with zero growth inserts on the back if you are worried about having odd looking tires. But the zero grows do make your wheels heavier so your car will accelerate slightly quicker with the vipers on
    Cheers mate,

I went with MX's all round as I have the zero growth foams already, and reading through other threads, they seem fine for general bashing. I will go for the Vipers later in the year.

Thanks for the advice,

Milo.
    BETTER TO LIVE A DAY AS A TIGER THAN A LIFE AS A SHEEP!

good choice matey used to run prolines and found the rubber very soft wouldnt hook up in mud or long grass etc cant go wrong with mxs

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

I run MX Hards on the rear and dirt buster mini blocks on the front And they grip well on the grass. Can't comment on durability though because I've not long had them

Quote Originally Posted by Milodan View Post
    Cheers mate,

I went with MX's all round as I have the zero growth foams already, and reading through other threads, they seem fine for general bashing. I will go for the Vipers later in the year.

Thanks for the advice,

Milo.
    Yep, good choice you won't be disappointed with them and they last well. Probably the best general bashing tire you can get to be fair

Ordering the silverback wheels and beadlocks.Any sugestions on the tyres and inserts?

Default Which tyres?

Depends what your running on depends on choice of tyre, but don't get zeros growths they are no longer better than stock taped foams and I'd never buy them again.

Had 3 zeros just rip and when I contact DDM they said did I tape them? Yep now DDM state you need to tape zeros so a waste of time because the weight of these foams compared to stockers is already double then adding tape wtf and they said I must be running big power lol
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Probably willl run on grass.I was asking myself if those inserts worth the money?The engine it supose to be an 30.5 if that matters

Quote Originally Posted by CatalinU View Post
    Probably willl run on grass.I was asking myself if those inserts worth the money?The engine it supose to be an 30.5 if that matters
    Hostile MX Hards are still a great contender for grass, had mine for ages, they're hard wearing and offer good grip. I was not impressed with the mini MX though, had a brand new set and tore a rear one away from the bead.....might have been a bad one I don't know but it put me off getting any more. Still like the MX hard compound though. Had to do the nut n bolt mod to keep them on the rims, since doing that they have been great.

Recently fitted some Uber Viper rears , they look great and grippy but I still haven't had chance to run them as yet to say owt about them other than you really do not need expensive foams with these as there is definitely zero growth on these tyres as they are steel belted and do not balloon one bit.

I am told the Vipers wear quickly on sandy ,gritty ground though, but I only run on grass my self and told they grip lovely.

The vipers are beast lookin tyres.What inserts are you runing with them?Just normal inserts?

They are not a total waste of money, they don't expand outwards as much as normal inserts. But I think normal cheap and chippy inserts or hpi inserts with tape wrapped around them is just as good. The new zero growths are also very heavy which just slows the car down. i also don't like the profile. Its too rounded and not flat. So I get normal inserts and just wrap some tape round to stop them expanding and/or exploding if the tire comes off.

The best zero growth inserts were the old blue ones but they don't make them anymore, I don't like the new ones, too heavy and wrong shape for me, but they do work though unless your tire comes off and then they will still explode just like normal inserts. So don't see the point in paying all that extra money for them.
    Last edited by biscuits; 23-03-2016 at 01:14.

Yes I agree. Vipers are mint. So are MX nightmares. I got extra hard MX's. Mini mx keep falling off although a nice tire. Maybe the extra hard minis might be better, but my guess is they will still fly off as my hard minis don't stay on at all. They need to make them dual compound. Very hard side walls and softer on the tread. Can't see that ever happening

Any hints with some inserts?

Any hints with some inserts?
    I run with the cheapo blue foams but wrap with a good gaffa tape (3 laps), never had a blown foam yet and i've ran MX's/MXT and Mini mxs...never seen the point in the expensive zero growths when most wrap their tyres.

:gunsmile:IT'S BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TOO FADE AWAY !!!! !:gunsmile:

I've also super glued my tyres to the wheel and then bead to the tyre, this method works a treat if you plan on binning them when worn 😂 but saves popping tyres and killing foams.

I recently wrecked an hostile MXT ripped the crap out of it getting it off the wheel, lost a few lugs getting it off but it's been saved.

Bought some HPI CA tyres glue and re glued the tyre to the wheel and it's proved it can handle a 20k plus bashing, TBH I thought it was to far gone and actually forgot I'd tried a fix but held up so far.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

dont know from where to get inserts

type in hpi baja tire inserts on fleabay and take your pick...