Thread: Hostile sicks

Default Hostile sicks

Not sure what to make of these yet. These come from DDM who supply most people in the UK with them. I bought them in the UK. I emailed Hostile for some advice and DDM have replied to me twice so far. Which I find strange. I know I write long winded emails and posts and that but what I actually sent was quite short and to the point.

1. Any road, I asked about the raised rubber strip that runs down the centre of the tire pushing the tire in to a more rounded profile. On one of my tires the rubber strip isn't even centralised and I asked if this was normal.

2. I also asked about the old blue zero growths and were they available as they are still being advertised on the Hostile website.

Any road, so far in the two replies I haven't had an answer to either one of these two questions but being given information on other things. One thing that I have been told is that the new tough compound foams have been made by different manufactures. Since the Hostile website hasn't been updated (if the old foams are no longer available that is) and different manufactures are being used I think people are making products and using the Hostile name. Its just what I think at the moment. The picture of the 5b with slicks used to advertise the slicks, the tires are flat on the car and the fact I don't seem to be able to get a proper answer back I think that these might be getting made by someone else using the Hostile name.

Any road, don't know what your thoughts are. I will let you know how things go. Also there is no warranty on the new tougher compound foams either if they rip like they did on me. Personally I wouldn't buy them you may as well stick HPI foams in there the are lighter, flatter and made of a tougher compound and way cheaper.

I don't know how these tires are for anyone else who has got them but I am thinking about using a set of hpi foams that I have and cutting out a recess down the centre of the foams for the rubber strip to sit in to so the tires sit flatter. I don't think I should be having to do this though. You can see that rubber strip in the last pic. Just doesn't seem right to me and for the cost of everything not very happy at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by biscuits; 31-07-2015 at 07:59.

Baja-Forum Maniac matt_andhisbaja's Avatar

The slicks will wear flat
    THE ONLY WAY IS SIDEWAY'S

Yes figured they would. They are well heavy with all the rubber on there. Got to admit they seem really well made. I'm just concerned that all the pics of the tires fitted in the advertisements they are flat.

Are your Hostile slicks the same and have that raised strip like mine do inside the tire?

Baja-Forum Maniac matt_andhisbaja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    Yes figured they would. They are well heavy with all the rubber on there. Got to admit they seem really well made. I'm just concerned that all the pics of the tires fitted in the advertisements they are flat.

Are your Hostile slicks the same and have that raised strip like mine do inside the tire?
    Yeh bud exactly the same. First lap and then they look sweet
    THE ONLY WAY IS SIDEWAY'S

Sweet. Cheers for the help and advice Matt. Never driven on Tarmac and never had slicks before. So thanks for the replies. MMR should be a riot if I can make it

I'd like to get the car up the local market hard standing to try them out and get the controller set up but don't think I can quite do it yet. Bashfest will be a push as what I have got takes so long to repair. But it is getting better slowly and should be fit enough to do both, but it will still be touch and go.
    Last edited by biscuits; 31-07-2015 at 09:28.

Update from DDM

Brad from DDM has just emailed me back and he has checked if the raised strip of rubber inside the tire is supposed to be on there and apparently its not. He is currently checking with the manufacturer/s to find out where the fault lyes. Currently he thinks that there have now been a few faulty batches of tires that have been released and not spotted and should have been flat on the inside and the raised strip of rubber down the inside of the tire should not have been there.

He says that he is going to look in to if further and give me an update at a later date. He has assured me that he is on the case and he will sort something out in the future and not to worry.

Nice of Brad to help us out. Lets hope he can get to the bottom of it.

Hey guys,

I've got some of these slicks to try out soon, they're part worn but still loads of life. Planning to use them on a tarmac ground but i'm just wondering what you guys think of them compared to tarmac busters on that kind of ground?