Thread: hpi foams vs hostile new tough compound grey foams

Default hpi foams vs hostile new tough compound grey foams

Thought I'd have a look at the slick tires that I did awhile back. Not happy with that crap profile. I haven't had anything back from DDM yet but these tires being hostile should be able to accept the hostile foams properly any road.

First thing I did was to assume that it was the raised bit of rubber on the inside of the tire that was pushing the tire out and making it a sort of pointed/rounded profile. I mean its not even central on the tire if you have a look at it which is rubbish. I started by trying to cut out the bit of rubber on the inside making the inside of the tire flat. Got about 1/3 of it out in half an hour and couldn't be bothered doing anymore.

I had a set of hpi foams that I had spare so just put them on instead. What a difference. The tire is a bit looser as the foam is smaller and has a much flatter profile. When I got the beadlocks on and had a look at the tire its so much better. The tire is a bit softer, but so what, the end of the day its just a remote control car. But the profile is flat and the wheel is so much lighter. Which is what you want for more performance.

Personally, I think these new hostile foams are pants. They are well heavy, not even zero growth (so why buy them) and the profile on them is rounded. I also ripped one of the rears putting it on. I think they are not as tough as the hpi foams to be fair. I have ordered the new hpi front foams to go with the rears and as soon as I get them I am going to swap out the front hostile foams too and these hostile foams are going in the bin. Not really happy with these at all and they have obviously not being tested properly by any baja owner. My own opinions these are but since you can't get the old blue hostile zero growths anymore I'm just going to stick with hpi foams on everything now.

pic 1. is the tire with hostile grey tire insert. How rubbish is that?
    pic 2. is the inside of the tire with the raised strip that I tried to cut out and make flat (don't bother).
    pic 3. is the tire with the hpi insert in it. How much better is that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by biscuits; 06-08-2015 at 17:58.

Those tyres do look a bit turd looking like, but I also agree on the zero foams has well, I've wreck 2 red MXT sized foams now the last one I wrecked he other day the fabric band gave in and split the foam in 2.
    But yep way to heavy my MXT grow a tad has well, I'm in the same boat why pay more for less and another here want buy hostiles foams no more.
    But don't bin the bloody things eBay erm recruit some funds back,
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Nice one Dean, glad its not just me. Its the grey foams that make the tires turd. They are not too bad with the hpi foams. The tire still needs to be flat on the inside though. What peed me off is that they are more expensive and they don't fit properly and weigh loads. I got to admit though my old blue zero growths are the mutts nuts but these new grey hostile inserts are just tonk...

According to DDM the old blue ones have not been made for the last 4 years and they have been using what was left on the shelves.

The weight saving fitting the hpi foams compared to these grey hostiles is huge. It really is noticeable. I have just now, only five minutes ago, already taken the front tires off and the grey foams out, ready for the new hpi foams. Waste of 60.

I think the performance gains in the lack of weight alone warrants fitting hpi foams over anything else at the moment and the money saved is a bonus too. I think with aftermarket tires you don't really need zero growths I don't know. I have only ever ran the old blue zero growths. But not impressed with these at all, everything is just wrong about them.
    Last edited by biscuits; 06-08-2015 at 19:13.

I can't really ebay them or anything like that. One of the rears is in 2 pieces although I could glue it back together, it would be fine. I would only give them away if anyone wanted them. But I am not walking down the post office again, I'll be getting a taxi so that would have to be included as part of the postage. I hurt myself the last time I walked down there… Its only half a mile though so wouldn't be too much

Burn the feckers vid it and stick it on the tube
    I've seen first hand performance of the vipers and put them on my Baja and they really are good for no growth and grip, I've even did what I've only done once and dint like doing it but had to be done.
    I had the wheels off the ground and revved it, just blipping the throttle till I got max revs on the TTO and no growth at 20k
    But I've also seen the wear on grass in such a short time and that's worrying enough for me not to buy erm, I almost did yesterday and held back but they are a good tyre never the less.
    Will see how long they last on mi mates Baja before I actually end up buying or not.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

I like the vipers too I think they are wicked. Still got my mx's though for messing around

Default weighed the wheels with hpi inserts fitted

The hpi inserts, all up, are over half a Kg lighter, fit much better, the profile is better, they don't rip as easily when putting them on and they are around 15 cheaper. No brainer

pic1. 3006g with hostile new tougher compound grey inserts
    pic2. 2458g with hpi inserts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by biscuits; 07-08-2015 at 20:47.