Thread: Mesh mod my way

Default Mesh mod my way

Without boring anybody but if your going to mesh mod then do it right
    This way no air flow is stopped or reduced due to the fact grass can't get in or around the fan areas nor can it get under the engine, I seen a massive reduction in temps doing this.

Has you can see no grass can get in to the vital cooling parts IE fan, every single access has been meshed you don't have to remove the engine to do it, but to get better access it's advised you remove the carb.
    The engine can be pulled out if needs be the only place glue is holding the mesh is on the fan case and EAC carrier on the carb side.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Thats a good mod that is. Something I thought about doing to be fair. You could drive all day with that on grass and not have to worry about the cooling. I have used really course foam before, that I got from a fish pond shop instead of mesh. I packed it all around the engine with this course foam. It worked great too, but its not as good as that mod that you have just done.

Cheers Andy it's been through a few phases TBH testing phase and looks, happy now with the end result the mesh looks quite good on the eye even if one is blowing his own
    But I only post up mods that work and TTO temp gauge has proven to me it's made a massive difference in keeping temps down.

That will work that will and make a difference.

Same principe that I found on my pull starter. When I did the mesh mod on the inside it got grass trapped in there really quick. Then I did the mesh mod on the outside and that was much better but still got grass stuck to the mesh as the air was still getting channeled through the vents underneath. When I went to outerwears the whole of the outerwears was breathing so the air wasn't getting channeled so grass just couldn't stay on there. It helped with my pull starter mod as the bolt on the outside lifts the outerwears away from the pull starter so ever the outerwears that aren't even covering the vents are letting air in. Basically more surface area for the air to get in.

Its basically the same principle as how yours will work. Nothing wrong with that mod. Hows that new engine going?

Sure does work Andy Tuck a while to master it though, did bits at a time the finial bit was the engine shroud
    New engine it's long gone mate (spent Paul) is the new owner. Was going great until it packed in after just 2 and half tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja5b-SS View Post
    New engine it's long gone mate (spent Paul) is the new owner. Was going great until it packed in after just 2 and half tanks.
    Ah maan, wtf. Are you back to the 29.5 again?

Now that you know how to do it get some gold mesh on there

The only thing I didn't like about the reed engine made up from normal engines is the original inlet manifold blocked off with plastic metal, the plastic metal isn't chrome plated and heats up and expands at a different rate compared to the rest of the bore/barrel. I just can't see this being good for engine life, even if they do go like stink when they are running. Unlike a purpose made reed engine which has the entire bore chrome plated.

Yep shame in that engine it just dint get the best of chances TBH, but spents already on the case to doing a full proper rebuild ready for his new head kit.

No Andy the 29.5 head was removed when my fly wheel exploded and twisted the crank, so went 30.5 from then on has I had the head kit just waiting.
    But now the 30.5 has been rebuilt with new bearings and a ring has that crap ML800 must have worn them out, but I've just put a stuff crank in the 30.5 so see what I make of this now.
    Got all the data one needs from the stock crank so let's see if the numbers are better or worse

When I first got my FM 29.5 LR I thought it was a little flat on torque. It was new though so maybe I was expecting too much. Problem I have I don't have a base line to test it against. The FM 29.5 LR is a +1 stroker crank with a +3mm LR con rod on it and I dumped a +1 stuffed crank in there. Got lots more performance but don't know if that the stuffed crank or the lack of the L/R conrod. I do have a stuffed crank now with a L/R conrod on it that Paul (Sonic) got me but I haven't had time to drop it in yet.

At the moment it goes well. I think the high compression is a bit much for it (and me ), I think this is because I have removed the barrel spacer and 2 head gaskets and replaced them with just 1 head gasket and the head has been skimmed by OBR to accept the latter.

But hey ho, never mind hey. As long as it doesn't burn a hole in the piston before its time for the next rebuild and when I can then swap to the stuffed L/R crank to see the differences I'll be happy. Its definitely more violent at the moment than it was before and will wheelie every now and then on 19/55 gearing no problems. It won't do it off hand more when the wheels hit a bump and you are on full chat. Or when I get it wrong and 180 it on a corner with the throttle still open it wheelies and then lands flat on it roof

But definitely think you will get an improvement with a stuffed crank so your 30.5 should be quite pokey

Well Andy I've been out just got back with it actually can't say I've seen a diff on bottom end cos this 813 is s h I t TBH needs the clutch setting above 7.5k just so it don't bog, top ends fine getting a tad over 51 on grass with 18/56 with MXT and zeros and topping out the TTO.
    My 1107 will be here Monday I can't stand that 813 so it's coming off, I'm leaving the clutch at 6k and the gearing will stay for now.
    But at the filed it was 26 today and temps from the TTO was 142 so plenty cool enough, now I no for sure if I'd not got my mesh on I'd see 200 plus and at worse I've seen 232 and no digging out grass grass got stuck to the mesh but only needs wiping out when home

Yes bin that 813. They are either sh@t hot or absolute tonk. 1107, 990 or 668 are the best out of all the ones I have tried and I have tried them all. The 990 top for outright performance but the 1107 is much smoother with as good as performance. That said I don't think the 990 tops the top end of the 668 I think they are the same. The 668 is really good top end and its also really reliable. Some people said that the 257 was a good carb and raved about it, but I thought it was pants compared to the 929 and both not as good as the 1107, 990 or 668. Stick with them 3 and don't bother with anything else. The 813 is supposed to be good but I don't think its very reliable and sometimes hard to set up, no matter how good people say it is.

Once you get that 1107 carb on there it will go much better and run much smoother. It is a really smooth carb and also really good to tune. Nice carb

Had the 1107 before Andy and liked it, the 813 is fine once you've gotten out the crappy bog and I'm not messing with the clutch just to make it work.
    So that will go on eBay and stop on this time see the 1107 aren't cloned yet so getting a gen 1107 is more likely than a 990-813-668
    But I've tried a few carbs all the above and little very little on top end from them all, going back to the 1107 and keeping it I was just trying to chase 0.0 MPh

I like the 1107. I've got one in the shed. Thing is the cars last run was bashfest and it's next run will be bashfest and it's got a 990 on there. Thing is I just can't be arsed to swap it out and having to try to tune it at bashfest.

I'm hoping that the car will run fine from when it ran last time

If not. I'll just be getting on it

Felt the same if that carb came today it was stopping in its genuine walbro box, but the Baja is not out now till Tuesday maybe Monday has well and already tuck the cage off waiting so fit carb cage and straight out all been well.

Removed my crap carb cos I was bored awaiting my delivery Monday, this is after just a tank.
    Now if ones mesh want on all that would be sucked into the fan or stuck to outwears cover, limiting the sucking forces

No loss of suction here

really good mod.