Thread: Lithium diff grease

Default Lithium diff grease

I am hearing of people packing their diff with lithium grease.
    What is everyone's take on this and from experience what do you all do?

+1 Been using it for years. stays in the diff better.

Do you get different types/grades of lithium grease? If so what do you use?

The 3 different types I've used have had a similar viscosity. Here's one I use >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14132...s=true&ff13=80

Edit; Keeps the diff looser than using diff 'oils which allows the car to be more maneuverable.
    Last edited by Rev; 31-08-2015 at 09:12.

Started doing mine same way ran well at Bashfest all weekend

Guess what I just found in the shed. Its lith-moly though but might worth a go.

Just ordered grease from the link Rev put up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by biscuits; 01-09-2015 at 17:53.

Yep im about to order myself, I have been told to pack as much as possible in the diff

I put red n tacky on mine.....working well so far

Quote Originally Posted by Dicky View Post
    Yep im about to order myself, I have been told to pack as much as possible in the diff
    Yes what we got told by the guys who are running it bashfest was to completely pack the diff and leave the two diff screw caps out for the grease to come out.

Do the same with the diff. We all run the TR quick diff and there is a recessed bolt in the middle which you also leave out for the grease to come out. Once all the grease has come out of the bolt hole you can then put the bolt in along with all the rest.

We were told to leave the two diff screw caps out of the diff and not put them back but I think I will put mine back.

Apparently after the first run the diff and transmission goes really smooth and loose and when using Lithium grease it doesn't mix with water so its basically a fit and forget mod after that. Sounds good to me and as soon as that grease that Rev recommended arrives thats what I am going to be doing to mine.

It sounds a great idea. I took my tranny box apart after 2 years and all the gears had gone rusty but this should stop it as the thing will be packed with grease.
    Last edited by biscuits; 01-09-2015 at 23:17.

So never put the grub screws back in? That I didn't know so surely the diff will eventually run dry

So never put the grub screws back in? That I didn't know so surely the diff will eventually run dry
    I put mine back in to be fair.

But thats what people seem to be doing along with packing the transmission box as well. I have just done mine packed both the diff and transmission box with the grease and put the screws back in. It does feel stiff but been told as soon as its gone for its first run it will go loose. I packed all the bearings with the same grease as well. If this works I'm not planning to take the transmission or diff apart again unless I have to.

Like wise. I pack the diff with grease leaving the screw caps in place. Never packed the gearbox...(I run a stock gear box) but cover the gears and bearings.. Other method sounds messy.

Thanks chaps,
    Im going to invest in an easy access gearbox and phat dad dog bones then build the new IRC diff I won at bashfest with the grease and leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Like wise. I pack the diff with grease leaving the screw caps in place. Never packed the gearbox...(I run a stock gear box) but cover the gears and bearings.. Other method sounds messy.
    It is messy m8. Need cloves on really. I got covered in the stuff and you definitely don't want to have to be taking it apart afterwards thats for sure. Just what people at bashfest told me to do. But I've done it now.

then build the new IRC diff I won at bashfest
    Yes you lucky sod. I wanted that
    Last edited by biscuits; 13-09-2015 at 13:31.

I have to say it's a very well made bit of kit, and a lot more simple and less fiddly that the stock ally diff.
    Im looking forward to running it!
    Just sorting out my 4 savages to stick on ebay to fund a big upgrade to engine and drivetrain

Is there much difference in diff "lock" between stock 1k wt oil and this grease for bashing..? I am debating myself to pack diff with grease mainly for lower maintenance...

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Is there much difference in diff "lock" between stock 1k wt oil and this grease for bashing..? I am debating myself to pack diff with grease mainly for lower maintenance...
    The grease has less of lock than the 1k oil.

But does it diff out(when you make pizza cutter) more than with stock setup..? Dont want to make pizza cutters and throw foams out..