Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LWB Sandrail build (finally!)

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

I also really need a pair of 5B rear foams if anyone has any they don't need?
    Just stock HPI are fine, don't want the expense of Zero Growth.
    I also had a quote today for powdercoating the cage, it was 100 for a basic colour, without shipping or VAT, so I'm guessing with my fuel bill and VAT it'd be around the 160 area, does this sound about right?
    I'm not getting it done, I was just getting a quote for sometime in the distant future, they're about the most local firm I could find... It just seemed on the slightly steep side to me.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    I also really need a pair of 5B rear foams if anyone has any they don't need?
    Just stock HPI are fine, don't want the expense of Zero Growth.
    I also had a quote today for powdercoating the cage, it was 100 for a basic colour, without shipping or VAT, so I'm guessing with my fuel bill and VAT it'd be around the 160 area, does this sound about right?
    I'm not getting it done, I was just getting a quote for sometime in the distant future, they're about the most local firm I could find... It just seemed on the slightly steep side to me.
    that seems slightly steeep dan,
    if you think that an average price to powder coat a 1:1 car alloy wheel is about 70 to strip, clean and powdercoat ,

I did think it seems quite steep, especially as the cleaning process would be a chemical dip, so it's not hours and hours of labour for someone sandblasting it, it's dunk it in a tank and leave it lol.
    I will attempt to find others localish to me as well if possible and see what other quotes I get.

hi, looks like shanes sandrail, I can get powdercoating done for 55.00 on bare metal, so would think prob 15.00 for stripping the old coat off if that's helps, also the chassis was built for his side pipe so if your gonna run a rear pipe , might be worth checking clearance, cheers Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by roofchopper View Post
    hi, looks like shanes sandrail, I can get powdercoating done for 55.00 on bare metal, so would think prob 15.00 for stripping the old coat off if that's helps, also the chassis was built for his side pipe so if your gonna run a rear pipe , might be worth checking clearance, cheers Dennis
    Yep it was Shanes, and that seems very reasonably priced, a damn sight better than 160 lol.
    And thanks for that, I was going to get a rear pipe for it, I'm glad I haven't lol, certainly can't afford a side pipe at the moment so it'll have to run on a stock can for now.
    I'll give you a PM Dennis if I ever go for a colour change.

Just dropped in and saw your building a LWB sandrail. Good luck a lot of fun. I finished mine earlier this year. You need longer swingy p shock cables than the standard ones on a LWBSandrail.jpg

Yeah I spoke to Paul and he made me some custom ones for the rear, now I've discovered my fronts are too long
    Just sat and built my throttle and brake linkage too, nipped into town today and my Dad popped to where he works and grabbed me 3M of welding rod, absolutely perfect and free, so I bought about 15 of stuff with the stainless rod, bike spokes and collets and didn't need any of them

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Just dropped in and saw your building a LWB sandrail. Good luck a lot of fun. I finished mine earlier this year. You need longer swingy p shock cables than the standard ones on a LWBSandrail.jpg
    How much does this weigh mate
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

The cage alone Deans weighs somewhere around the 4kg mark, I forgot to weigh mine when it was complete empty, so kind of guessed from the weight with the front end bits on.
    A lot lighter than I personally expected, with all the stuff that's removed, I can't see it being any heavier than my Baja, although she is quite a heavy girl with all her upgrades, but still, I expected a good 8kg cage to be honest.

Got another disc sorted, have any of you chaps got the 'rear' pad, that sits into the little pivot part?
    That's literally the last thing I need to complete this whole build and I don't want to have to pay HPI nearly 20 for a full set of pads!
    This bit...

The cage alone Deans weighs somewhere around the 4kg mark, I forgot to weigh mine when it was complete empty, so kind of guessed from the weight with the front end bits on.
    A lot lighter than I personally expected, with all the stuff that's removed, I can't see it being any heavier than my Baja, although she is quite a heavy girl with all her upgrades, but still, I expected a good 8kg cage to be honest.
    Would need a good ish solid weigh Dan kind of like the rails looks now, has for the calliper is no joy then that would be far cheaper in RCM or check abbots out for odds and sods.

Jason said he's got a brand new one for 6quid posted, but Paul (Swingy) as said he might have one possibly, just needs to wait until he gets home to check.
    And what do you mean about the weight bud?

just for info dan, my shorty rail weighs in at 2.7 kg naked mate

The weight of a fully built rail Dan

Ahhh... I will be sure to weigh mine when it's done, it basically is now, but I just need that last part and I'm sorted.
    Also need some enclosed wheelnuts because I have mis-matched hubs, but that isn't an urgent concern.

Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    just for info dan, my shorty rail weighs in at 2.7 kg naked mate
    Hmmm, mine can't possibly weigh more than 3 1/2kg then.
    I must have just worked it out a bit wrong.

Hmmm, mine can't possibly weigh more than 3 1/2kg then.
    I must have just worked it out a bit wrong.
    but bear in mind my scales are crap

Mine aren't the best for weighing big stuff.
    Not actually sure how I'll weigh it all complete, I don't have normal househole scales and my digital ones only go to 5kg

Back to DJM then lol what's the weight of your baja

hi mate, looking good, you might want to put some washers under the tank mounts so the tank dosnt sit on the ally plate, also the rear top shock mounts is designed for a tr brace, just bolts on and your shocks fit that