Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What clutches are out there

Default What clutches are out there

HI, I'm wondering should I upgrade my standard clutch I have standard housing and a 30.5 head on my Baja
    Thanks lads

Baja-Forum Maniac matt_andhisbaja's Avatar

I hear turtle do a good one.......I use the turex big speed 4 shoe clutch in my Baja bzm and bzm side pipe. Handles the power no problem.
    THE ONLY WAY IS SIDEWAY'S

I use a clone L bacha 4 shoe with gen pads and have 36 hrs on it and was used pads at that, that's on a clone of the above SCZ.
    Funny I hear TR racing do a good one has well, but would sooner stick a probite or AreaRC genuine one on.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

So it's called a clone l bacha ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty napalm View Post
    No lol it's a clone of the l bacha nothing wrong with mine now but I did have a slight issue, and if your going to consider this clutch then get the genuine one.
    The clone pads lasted 10 tanks with a max of maybe another tank or 2 then you need genuine pads so the savings still there just off set quite a bit.

your wasting your time buying a fancy clutch .. turn your standard clutch round and your good to go ... there are guys including myself have been running this set up for a long time without any bother .... if your just bashing its perfect ....
    TR.D.I.A.F.W .... SUPPORT LOCAL VENDORS ....

Tell me more about lauterbacher clutch, I am thinking of getting one of these for adjustability ...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...WwviYsj_snCuVg

Lol nothing really to add highest engaging point I went to was 8600, after that it seemed to slip to much and lowest I've ran when tuning engines in is just under 6k.

Apart from that I'd dred to think of the hrs id get from a brand new set of pads, all I no not one stock clutch has lasted the time this one has and its not even close to worn.

Here are the clone pads after 8 tanks and still worked

You see the cover plate at the bad well these hen pads are maybe 1mm ish below that, and I've run 17-18-19 and 20 pinions on it.

So use proper shoes in the clone casing?

So use proper shoes in the clone casing?
    You can that's what I did here is how it started, I here good things about the clutch but could not part with the money just incase it was not good enough.
    But I see these clone ones at 35 so thought well if it's crap then surely I could put gen pads in, turns out the clone pads are also better than clone stock clutches and some gen ones for that matter.

But clearly takes the saving down enough just to buy gen from the off, I also cracked the clutch where it meats the crank so made a ring and bashed it on.

If you are considering this type of clutch get genuine if any thing goes wrong your covered I bought clone poorly to test it if I'd known then what I no now I would have even thought about it

What do you mean by turn the clutch round BASS ?

What do you mean by turn the clutch round BASS ?
    Exactly what it sounds like Scotty.
    Gary modded his clutch so the spring would go on facing the right way with the shoes reversed, I just unbolted mine and reversed it an left the spring on..lol works for me

What does it achieve mark mate?

What does it achieve mark mate?
    Less slippage which means better launch, lower temps and longer clutch life.
    Trust mate...only good thing come from doing this mod

Roger. Nice 1 mark mate

So was 8600 the highest it would go? Or do you think it would go higher like to 10,000?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja5b-SS View Post
    Lol nothing really to add highest engaging point I went to was 8600, after that it seemed to slip to much and lowest I've ran when tuning engines in is just under 6k.

Apart from that I'd dred to think of the hrs id get from a brand new set of pads, all I no not one stock clutch has lasted the time this one has and its not even close to worn.

Here are the clone pads after 8 tanks and still worked

You see the cover plate at the bad well these hen pads are maybe 1mm ish below that, and I've run 17-18-19 and 20 pinions on it.

That picture is the stock pads the clutch came with and lasted 8 tanks, I was kindly given genuine pads from Andy and John, johns pads was around 60 hrs old before he gave them to me and I put around 50 hrs on them after that.

They worn .15 per pad if I recall

The clutch I don't think would take 10k revs well it will but the springs would be to tight or crompressed that the pads will not allow a hard enough engagement and would just burn the pads 9k is fine on those clutches based of my experience with them.

So do you think it would work at 9000 rpm's? Exactly which clutch is this? Any idea how much it weighs? Thanks for replying...

I'd say it would work at 9k but don't use one on a w4nk clutch bell it needs to be smooth, any scoring or rough 5hit on the bell will kill the pads in a matter of minutes.

Mine was a clone clutch with genuine pads laz posted a link post 8 but 140 is a bit OTT from Freeprawn.

Not sure on exact weight but was less than 80g stock was around 160g