Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elcon 54mm V2 Adjustable 4-Shoe Teflon Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    How can it be user error?
    If you put it together wrong, it won't work.
    If it's not on correctly, it won't work.
    If you build it perfectly to the video and install it correctly and have defective pads, it will rip them to bits.
    So yeah... I would be making a PP claim.
    How exactly can you do it wrong, to the point it would make the pads wear out straight away? If you have the bite point set too low it will engage whenn you turn the engine over and you know to alter it.
    If it's set too high, again, from the first 30 seconds, you'd know to alter it.
    I don't know which part of the build process you could get wrong that would mean the pads would wear out straight away
    Alignment is critical down to 1/2 mm. Aftermarket parts need adjusting sometimes or just won't work.

Excessive Laut' wear >>> http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/showthre...-wear-thoughts

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

I agree it all has to be right, what I'm saying is, if you build it within the specs of the guide, you use genuine parts, a decent quality bell and you know it's on correctly, you want your 55quid pads to last longer than a few tanks of fuel.
    What you posted up was great advice on that thread, so out of curiosity then, which bells are actually the correct depth?
    I'm running a V1 TR complete clutch system at the moment.

It will last.
    Reading that thread again i'd say it was a shimming issue ( black bone 2 speed) mine failed in a MCD V4 when I swapped to an alloy carrier which comes with a new clutch bell. Just have to measure, adjust sometimes to get things correct.... Baja has been good using VP, TR & stock bells.

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Is there a way of measuring if the bell will be deep enough?
    I really do fancy buying one of these clutches just so I can fit it and forget about it.
    But the dodgy pads thing does put me off a little bit.

Manufacturers have made it easier ...

If you can adjust the clutch through the bell and housing your good to go. That's an Elcon and Laut.

Last edited by Rev; 08-01-2016 at 17:40.
    L-E-L

Default Elcon 54mm V2 Adjustable 4-Shoe Teflon Clutch

The clutch itself can't be shimmed it's fixed to the crank just like the stock clutch plate.

Be to hard to explain the sizes and prob pointless just fit it and run for a few mins and if the clutch has made marks fully inside the bell all is good.

Last edited by Baja5b-SS; 08-01-2016 at 21:47.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Hi guys,

Been following this post as interested. I'm still running the oddy clutch. I thought I'd post costings that I paid for it when I bought it back in February last year. I don't think that they would have changed much since then, but thought that you might find them of interest for comparisons with the elcon. This is what I bought from Ian;

Complete clutch = 100

12 springs(2 spare sets) = 18
    12 shoes (2 spare sets) = 60
    Postage = 8
    Grand total = 186

As for the clutch so far it hasn't had that much use yet. A couple of bashfests and a few bashes throughout the year. Mainly because I got injured at work end of April and not been well enough to go regular bashing. It has been hammered though on a 29.5 and a 27.2 when it has been used. Thought it might be something maybe that you might want to compare to the elcon. As looks like the elcon and the oddy are good clutches going from reading your posts and owning
    this one. I am still on the original springs and shoes at the moment and not looking at changing the for awhile as they are still good and clutch engagement hasn't changed. Pity I haven't had the car out more and ran the clutch more, but still, thought you might still find this of interest.

Seems mines failed already ordered another one

A screws found its way out and that's the failed area so prob didn't help matters, the collar has been removed and will be fitted to the new one.

CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.