Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baja Shorty

Default Baja Shorty

Been collecting bits to convert my 5b into a shorty again.
    First fit the other day and it's all going to work. :cool:

Started with a 45mm chop.
    Cutting at this length lines up a few of the holes already there.

Have gone with the TFE install for ease and clean look.

The skunkworks QR part is now a chassis plate clamp/roll cage support

Throttle servo moved forward but need to trim down the TFE steering servo brace by 5mm. This will let the throttle servo sit lower

Time to take it apart again to be coloured.

Using a 6v life battery which fits in front of the tank but have a better idea where to place it.
    Last edited by Rev; 14-02-2016 at 15:10.
    L-E-L

Shorty month it is! Looking good!

Box Mod.

Chopped 45mm out of the radio box. (Keeping my options open). After making it I,ve decided to stay with TFE. The box has more room for a receiver and kill switch but no battery. The box takes up the space where a larger battery can be used.

A/

Cut some alloy tape to 45mm width.

Tape is a good straight edge to cut against using a hack saw.

Just glued together with super glue

Crdited to; '1Wheelonly' who did this mod first
    Last edited by Rev; 13-01-2016 at 20:54.
    L-E-L

looking good man. Its good to see other peoples ideas.
    ALX 71 Gold Editon
    BRP Super Spike, Extended IRP Hubs
    ROK Symsteer, 26/48 Gearing, ALX Drive Train

With all of the shorties we have so far, you discover great ideas. I think we should have a thread showcasing them and the mods that were needed, as a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster1-4 View Post
    With all of the shorties we have so far, you discover great ideas. I think we should have a thread showcasing them and the mods that were needed, as a reference.
    Feel free to post pictures of radio box/servo set-ups. Would ask a Mod to change the title to ... Shortys 'The thread'
    Last edited by Rev; 15-01-2016 at 12:27.
    L-E-L

Having now read through all the recent shorty posts, including this one, I really like where people are using the original receiver box. I did mine a bit differently and made everything up for the steering servo mount and receiver box from scratch. But now thinking about revisiting my shorty receiver box and having a go at what everyone else has done.

I would chop off the rear mounts on your radio box and that cross bracing strengthening that was on there for the throttle/brake servo. If you can get an alloy steering servo mount it will beef up the servo mount/receiver box massively and bolt the receiver box down and not use those plastic pins it will be really secure. If the servo mount won't mount in the chassis where the original holes are just drill some more. You won't need those rear mounts on there and the receiver box I think would look much better. If you are having problems keeping the two parts of the receiver box together I expect you could easily melt them together and put some strong tape over the joins just to make sure. It should look really good. Joining the lid together is probably the hardest part but you can melt bits of plastic together and smooth over the joins with a bit of patience.
    Last edited by biscuits; 11-01-2016 at 19:42.

I got to admit I am a bit jealous of these 65mm chops but I am not revisiting my chassis again if I can help it. Drilling it was well hard, most of my holes drifted and were in the wrong place and I had black bogeys for 2 days afterwards and I had 'chap' on my hands and arms for a week. Not nice

Nice work so far on the Shorty John. It will look mint when you finish it. And its a shorty and shorties rock
    Last edited by biscuits; 11-01-2016 at 19:42.

I like that Skunkworks QR cage mount there Rev. They are a bit pricey to buy though. I might have a go at milling one up myself.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    Having now read through all the recent shorty posts, including this one, I really like where people are using the original receiver box. I did mine a bit differently and made everything up for the steering servo mount and receiver box from scratch. But now thinking about revisiting my shorty receiver box and having a go at what everyone else has done.

I would chop off the rear mounts on your radio box and that cross bracing strengthening that was on there for the throttle/brake servo. If you can get an alloy steering servo mount it will beef up the servo mount/receiver box massively and bolt the receiver box down and not use those plastic pins it will be really secure. If the servo mount won't mount in the chassis where the original holes are just drill some more. You won't need those rear mounts on there and the receiver box I think would look much better. If you are having problems keeping the two parts of the receiver box together I expect you could easily melt them together and put some strong tape over the joins just to make sure. It should look really good. Joining the lid together is probably the hardest part but you can melt bits of plastic together and smooth over the joins with a bit of patience.
    Lots of ideas bouncing about...'Monster1-4' suggestion of having it all posted in a thread would make things easier. Post a photo of your set-up up.
    Last edited by Rev; 13-01-2016 at 20:49.
    L-E-L

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    I like that Skunkworks QR cage mount there Rev. They are a bit pricey to buy though. I might have a go at milling one up myself.
    Been working on getting that part for some time at the right price. Didn't make much difference on 5B but was good on a 5T. Only part of the car i'm going to polish.

In the past I looked at websites to find the right shaped door handle. lol

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/search?...t=door handles

Send some measurements if you need them?
    Last edited by Rev; 11-01-2016 at 21:25.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    I got to admit I am a bit jealous of these 65mm chops but I am not revisiting my chassis again if I can help it. Drilling it was well hard, most of my holes drifted and were in the wrong place and I had black bogeys for 2 days afterwards and I had 'chap' on my hands and arms for a week. Not nice

Nice work so far on the Shorty John. It will look mint when you finish it. And its a shorty and shorties rock
    Follow me and Cookie to the 65mm Dark side of the "CHOP" anything under is a girls chop................!

B/ Servo size

C/ Bracket size.

'B' is the best of both imo. More space for electronics + more space for the battery.

Edit:

D/

Better than 'B' although the battery would be bolted in. No biggie.
    Last edited by Rev; 12-01-2016 at 20:10.
    L-E-L

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Been working on getting that part for some time at the right price. Didn't make much difference on 5B but was good on a 5T. Only part of the car i'm going to polish.

In the past I looked at websites to find the right shaped door handle. lol

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/search?...t=door handles

Send some measurements if you need them?
    Thanks Rev....haha...door handle, I thought exactly the same my self. My Fluid RC chassis came with a slightly modified plastic roll cage mount but I have never been totally satisfied with it. If I can get left alone in the machine shop next week at work I'm going to have a go at making one. I have a nice block of Alloy put to one side for it.

loving this shorty thread

my 2 have just had full rebuilds,

my fluid rc set up with 1600 life battery,

Servo size looks nice. You could drop a battery down the back of that quite easily. Thats pretty much how mine is although I got a box from Maplins.

I have seen some of the 60+mm chop shorties and some of them basically the steering servo is up against the tank and all the electrics are on top of the servo, including the battery wrapped up in plastic. End of the day it works so there are loads of options. But it is nice to have things looking neat.

Think the shorty thread is a good idea so all shorty projects can be in the one place. We need to start it on a separate post so everyone knows where to find it

Quote Originally Posted by boosterxb View Post
    loving this shorty thread

my 2 have just had full rebuilds,

my fluid rc set up with 1600 life battery,

Nice looking cars. Is the fluid chassis 45mm shorter? Not seen a fluid or scorpion chassis fitted close up.. The electronics look well protected.
    What run times you getting on 1600mah ?

the life battery fitted well ( tight ) in the back box , was a tight fit to get the on/off switch , RX and killswitch in the plastic aerial box to ( hence the bulging lid ) charging is eay to
    tidy enough for a RAW build eh

my lipo on my scorpion shorty is just taped and wedged between the tank ,

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Nice looking cars. Is the fluid chassis 45mm shorter? Not seen a fluid or scorpion chassis fitted close up.. The electronics look well protected.
    What run times you getting on 1600mah ?
    im sure both chassis are 45mm , unsure of max run times of the life, i have done 3 tanks and it was only half used if that helps
    ive got plenty of build pics somewher , dont wamma jump this thread to much though

That's useful info. Post the pictures Boost' or anyone who has a shorty. Details of the servos, RX, battery places would be best..or any.
    Have chopped a Life battery up earlier. 6v 2000mah.Separated the 4 cells using a stanley blade . Was 30X40X50 mm. Is now 20X30X100 mm
    L-E-L