Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baja Shorty

If you look at the four main chassis bolt holes I used the original front holes and made them the rear holes and drilled 2 new front holes. The holes are not in line but I just elongated the new rear holes so the bolts would go in to the rear chassis plate. This makes the car 45mm shorter the same as scorpion chassis and the roll cage lines and fits the car without too much bother. I had to put another hole in the chassis for my on/off switch and I stuck a rubber grommet to cover up the old hole. Everything fits quite easily and you only need to cut a bit off the front of your bodywork if you have bodywork and the car still looks quite good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by biscuits; 12-01-2016 at 01:09.

I had loads of room to work with. I cheated as I used a scorpion shorty chassis throttle/brake servo mount and bolted some blocks of aluminium through the chassis the bolted the steering servo to it. I just stuck a plate of aluminium on top of the bits of blocks of aluminium and stuck a box I got from Maplins on top of the plate. I got the antenna mount from Wheelspin Models.
    Last edited by biscuits; 12-01-2016 at 01:59.

I originally just made my 5 cell hump back in to a 4 cell flat battery with the fifth cell on the side and it fitted behind the steering servo and tank. I now got a 1600mAh Vapextech LiFe battery. I got a spare any ways which I can easily swap out. I wanted something permanent for the battery and to protect it so I made a battery box out of rubber and some hard foam glued together. I used a bit of an old knackered Uber rear bumper to hold everything in by pressing down on to a bit of hard foam. It keeps everything in permanently and protects the battery from dirt and water and looks neat.
    Last edited by biscuits; 12-01-2016 at 12:30.

Running a ryno digi 4 and a hitec 7955 with the Vapextech 1600mAh LiFe battery and its good for about 3 or so hours of bashing. Since I have had the LiFe I wouldn't go back to anything else. Its so much safer than LiPo and a lot more reliable than a NiMh battery and easier to maintain. I'd like to have their 2000mAh LiFe in there but its too big. i protected mine with a bit more heat shrink and I extended the balance lead so I can charge it in the car. I also put a fuse on it and a bit of tape that I can use to pull the battery out when I need to get it out. Managed to get everything inside the box. 4ch receiver, RC on/off switch for the light, kill switch with LED and buzzer, battery power indicator which is on top so I can see how charged the battery is and an on/off switch that come through the bottom of the plate that you can access through the side of the chassis. Overall its not a bad set and looks alright. The box could be a bit neater but I am happy with it. Its defiantly a good bash set up and I have used it in the rain, deep puddles and mud no problems, although its not waterproof.

Well thats my set up. Hope you like it and it that it might give you some ideas
    Last edited by biscuits; 12-01-2016 at 02:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Box Mod.

Crdited to; '1Wheelonly' who did this mod first

page 27 what did you do to your car today?? Just saying.

my car still not finished anyhow.

You cut down little more than me, but I find easier if you can get your rx & switchblade
    Or what you use down in the narrow deep part. Tis easier to find or parallel maybe
    2x 1000mah or something and sit them where would normally put the rx on that top section.
    But yours is smaller lol good luck with batteries took me ages to find one I could
    fit in mine.

Nice build by the way, all these shorty builds giving me the kick I need finish mine
    Last edited by Marder; 12-01-2016 at 02:56.

I used the small plastic radio box that came with the Fluid chassis kit along with the ally plate . The receiver is in the plastic box along with the Killer Super Bee sw. the box is mounted to the supplied ally plate and the servo's also attach to the plate. When the whole assembly is in the car the plate is butt right upto the tank. below the ally plate there is a 20mm space between the tank and the steering servo to get a slim battery in. I use a Vapertex LiFe battery inside a small plastic box. It slots intide the space perfectly without any slopping about

This is the same set up as Boosters in the previous post...only exception is that my on/off power switch is the Lea 1wheelonly mod which is the latching on/off button on the engine, this gives a little more room in the radio box to get the wiring etc in
    Last edited by coalminer; 12-01-2016 at 04:30.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

some great solutions for battery boxes and servo mounts in here ,
    will post up my mine for the rail when i find out if i can get the battery in the box ,
    hopefully i have my calculations right

Batteries.

Have fitted the car with a 2000mah 6.6v life battery.

Altered the dimensions to fit. Cut the shrink wrap off and opened the cells out. Packed it with cardboard and fuse tape.

These batteries are soft and as it's not in a box decided to wrap it in an old tyre foam.

Nice fit and can be taken out easy enough. Held in place using 'Biscuits Battery Brace' idea

Works with TFE. Still waiting to get that bk.

Edited post #13
    Last edited by Rev; 12-01-2016 at 20:45.
    L-E-L

Thats awesome. I didn't know you could do that to them. I did ask about it on the forum and was advised not to do it. Thats a wicked mod as you can get the 2000mAh in there. The 1600mAh is good but having the 2000mAh will be much better. Top work

I did think about putting the two flat 1600mAh in there as the are only 16mm wide and join them together with a y-split lead to make 3000mAh. I asked about that too and got advised not to do it, but I reckon I could have. But to be fair having now got the 1600mAh its more than enough for what I do and I have even got lights. So yours will be even better having 2000mAh

Just a quick one chaps anyone suggest a good battery charger that will do life bats plus my standard baja batt packs chčeeeeeeeerz

Quote Originally Posted by richy rooney View Post
    Just a quick one chaps anyone suggest a good battery charger that will do life bats plus my standard baja batt packs chčeeeeeeeerz
    I've got a one you can have. It wasn't cheap but I don't need it. It can be used either 12v or mains. Its too complicated for me as it can do everything even condition all batteries. I just can't be arsed reading through the instructions. I just want something I can plug in as I only got LiFe now. I only bought it to recondition my MiNh which I found out was chinned when I put it on the charger. Its sat in my shed and its not going to get used so would like it to go to a good home and get used.

You can have it just post and packing. Drop me a PM if you are interested m8
    Last edited by biscuits; 12-01-2016 at 23:06.

Got some parts back from ano'.

Some photos of the complete install.

Chopped bracket to let the steering servo fit.

Nearly finished ... kill switch & on/off will be a challenge to fit...
    Last edited by Rev; 15-01-2016 at 18:33.
    L-E-L

Quote Originally Posted by Rev View Post
    Got some parts back from ano'.

Some photos of the complete install.

Nearly finished ... kill switch & on/off will be a challenge to fit...

Looking very tidy a 1wheelonly latching engine kill button would work as on/off, used one on my shorty now on 5sc

REV,
    that looks tidy,
    a few pics of my scorpion setup. i cut the scorpion top plate that holds the stock battery and wedged a well taped killer rc 4200 lipo inbetween the tank and back of the servo, the on/off switch velcro attached to a piece of plastic bolted on, the body work skillfully cut for access and sight of the led's
    i run this setup at MMR indoor series

Very nice man great build. Cant wait to get mine done haha.
    ALX 71 Gold Editon
    BRP Super Spike, Extended IRP Hubs
    ROK Symsteer, 26/48 Gearing, ALX Drive Train

Quote Originally Posted by llazaru View Post
    Looking very tidy a 1wheelonly latching engine kill button would work as on/off, used one on my shorty now on 5sc
    Could you post a link, do remember seeing it someplace.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boosterxb View Post
    REV,
    that looks tidy,
    a few pics of my scorpion setup. i cut the scorpion top plate that holds the stock battery and wedged a well taped killer rc 4200 lipo inbetween the tank and back of the servo, the on/off switch velcro attached to a piece of plastic bolted on, the body work skillfully cut for access and sight of the led's
    i run this setup at MMR indoor series

Like the easy access switch idea.
    Thinking about not bothering with a kill switch now.

Quote Originally Posted by arron421 View Post
    Very nice man great build. Cant wait to get mine done haha.
    cheers Aaron. Did you get that tank fuel tight?

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures & ideas, been helpful coming up with alternative solutions. Good stuff.

yes and no pal.. I ended up getting a soldering iron that was good enough to melt the plastic was water tight but not under presure...

I know the tank wont have much presure but with it banging around and if the vent gets blocked and im not aware I will have fuel all over so Im just waiting on some JB weld to arrive cover the joint in that and I should be good.
    ALX 71 Gold Editon
    BRP Super Spike, Extended IRP Hubs
    ROK Symsteer, 26/48 Gearing, ALX Drive Train

99% finished

Fitted with a 26cc on 18/56 which is good for the local track
    Last edited by Rev; 20-01-2016 at 19:43.
    L-E-L

This might sound stupid but.... It looks fast👍🏻