Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown a new Hostile MX tyre

Default Blown a new Hostile MX tyre

I bought some new Hostile mini MX's last year. The first time out with them I had a rear foam explode from the inner bead of one of the tyres.

I never got around to buying some new foams until this week. When I stripped the tyre off the rim yesterday I was quite dismayed to find that two of the locking tabs on the tyre had been torn off, rendering the brand new tyre now useless . I had Silverback beads fitted which had been done up nice n tight and I dont that its the bead locks that have let the tyre go, I think its the weakness of the tyre wall thats let go.

The mini MX's feel quite soft walled compared to the MX and I'm disapointed with them now for giving up so easily.
    I bought them because I wanted something with lots of grip on dry grass.

Has anyone got an odd single one they want to sell ??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coalminer; 09-01-2016 at 08:39.

That's a bummer Si mini`s ware quick enough as it is, but 1 run takes the pi55, maybe give the shop a ring/email explaining your disgust with them, zero growth foams ftw hope you get sorted

Quote Originally Posted by llazaru View Post
    That's a bummer Si mini`s ware quick enough as it is, but 1 run takes the pi55, maybe give the shop a ring/email explaining your disgust with them, zero growth foams ftw hope you get sorted
    I actually bought them from Hiks's Chop Shop when he was having a clear out and being as theres nowt in the Chop Shop these days I think I've shot it . I have still got the extra hard MX's and I have had them for ages now and still goings strong.....theyre as tough as my old "pit boots". I just expected the Mini's to be as good.

What are the Uber Vipers like ??? anyone care to comment

The Vipers are really good mate aslong as you only use them on grass or mud, gravel and sharp stones would rip them to shreds.
    Dont let that put you off tho they really are much better than mx's for grip and they dont blow off the rim

I have about 14 hours on mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark35 View Post
    The Vipers are really good mate aslong as you only use them on grass or mud, gravel and sharp stones would rip them to shreds.
    Dont let that put you off tho they really are much better than mx's for grip and they dont blow off the rim

Second that mark , been through a few brands , vipers win hands down ,, just need them for the front
    Doh !! :doh:

What's the wall thickness like on the lugs Si, MX's had a bad batch of these where the lugs wall was paper thin.

Hostile no longer have anything to do with it and have to go through DDM, but they both no about it and MX's now if bought direct should be on a rectified batch. But that was MX's not minis but worse a check anyways
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Quote Originally Posted by mark35 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Crazydaveuk View Post
    Second that mark , been through a few brands , vipers win hands down ,, just need them for the front
    . Thanks lads. I like the look of the Ubers and if they are a tough hard wearing tyre I reckon I'm going to try some .

Quote Originally Posted by Baja5b-SS View Post
    What's the wall thickness like on the lugs Si, MX's had a bad batch of these where the lugs wall was paper thin.

Hostile no longer have anything to do with it and have to go through DDM, but they both no about it and MX's now if bought direct should be on a rectified batch. But that was MX's not minis but worse a check anyways
    Thanks Dean. Yes the lug thickness on these look paper thin too, so thin you could easily pull em off with your fingers. I'm just comparing them to all the other Hostiles Iv'e had . I have had MX, all terrains and slicks without any bother, but these mini's look nowhere as tough as the others. Maybe they were from a bad batch. But now I have made my mind up that i'm not happy with them I think I will be looking towards the Ubers.

Cheers
    Si

Got some new Vipers ordered. I like the sound of them being zero growth and not needing expensive foams to be fitted ....(Ubers own quote).

Yep sounds like they got a bad batch of all 5b tyres then mins and MX's, or maybe a case of hostile got a rep somebody tuck over and wanted to cheap out.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Si I got a set of mini mx's too and mine feel soft too. I don't have zero growths in them and I used them at bashfest. I did't use them for long and when I bought the car in all the tire walls on all the tires had at some point pulled out from the wheel bead. I think that the rubber on the walls is way too soft. Problem is they won't make tires dual compound, but the bits that go under the wheel bead needs to be hard rubber that cannot compress.

The rubber just stretches out of the tire bead because its too soft. Its like stretching an elastic band, it goes so thin it just comes out if you put it under enough stress and I have got hard mini V2's....

Not solved it yet and how to stop them from coming out. When I do I'll notify NASA

p.s. they will still come out using zero growths. I saw Cookie explode 2 mini mx wheels at bashfest fitted with zero growth. They don't last 5 minutes if you are going fast. If the bits that fitted under the beadlocks were imbedded with plastic, hard rubber or wire they would stay in.
    Last edited by biscuits; 09-01-2016 at 23:02.

I don't buy zero growths anymore because I think they are way too heavy and don't really fit properly.

What I am going to do to mine is wrap my hpi inner foams tightly with strong cloth tape and put them back inside the minis. Can only help and if the tire does come off the inner shouldn't shred itself and stay together. If you have zero growths on the wheels as soon as the tire comes off, which with mini's now most likely will, you will just shred your zero growths and they aren't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    ...I think they are way too heavy ...
    +1 I have both 5b and 5t zero growths. The weight on the 5T zero growth is just ridiculous. The 5B is much lighter and so far (3 years) has held up great for me.

I don't know if anyone remembers all the problems I had with my slicks and now having problems with the mini's. I'm starting to go off Hostiles for the price of them and how many we buy

i think it would worth dropping DDM a message because they monitor the QA for Hostiles and they are alright and will do something about it
    Last edited by biscuits; 10-01-2016 at 03:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster1-4 View Post
    +1 I have both 5b and 5t zero growths. The weight on the 5T zero growth is just ridiculous. The 5B is much lighter and so far (3 years) has held up great for me.
    Yes its a shame. I got a set of the old blue (soft) zero growths and they were brilliant. If I had known how good they were I would have bought loads of sets back then. Nice and light but still firm enough but you haven't been able to get a set of them now for about 2 years. I spoke to DDM about it and Hostile is just a name now and the products are actually sourced from a number of different manufactures. The actual Hostile company no longer exists. Such a pity as their old stuff was really good. DDM are really good at helping people and supporting people. I had real problems with a set of Hostile slicks and they were very helpful. They do two different types of slicks now, a belted type, which can only be used with hpi inner foams and a normal set, which can be used with Hostile inners. This was because of the different manufactures. I basically ended up with a set of Hostile slicks which were useless and could not be used with hostile inner foams. I have them fitted now with hpi inners, but they are still not perfect and have a rounded profile, not flat.

i think Uber made a good move making their own tires. I think their design is good but don't last long enough. If they made the tires out of stuff that was really hard on the tread, maybe a slightly different design, they would be much better, like the hormann jumbos I have or elcons. They don't destroy themselves like the ubers do. What I would like is a homman jumbo tire that fits hpi wheels. If someone bought them out there would be a good market. I know you can get FG wheels and tires that fit the baja but a lot of people just want a good tire to fit their standard hpi wheel design.
    Last edited by biscuits; 10-01-2016 at 13:23.

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Personally I've used cheap KM and HPI foams in Vipers, not taped (wanted to test how 'zero growth' the tyres really are) and they worked brilliant.
    The first set I was a bit peeved at the fast wear rate, but I had been on quite sandy grass, the second set I had, I stayed to normal grass/mud and after 3 tanks there was absolutely no wear showing at all.
    As Mark said, just avoid anything really hard surface and they're a great tyre, outgrip MX's all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    Personally I've used cheap KM and HPI foams in Vipers, not taped (wanted to test how 'zero growth' the tyres really are) and they worked brilliant.
    The first set I was a bit peeved at the fast wear rate, but I had been on quite sandy grass, the second set I had, I stayed to normal grass/mud and after 3 tanks there was absolutely no wear showing at all.
    As Mark said, just avoid anything really hard surface and they're a great tyre, outgrip MX's all day long.
    Thanks Dan. Yeah I will only be using the Vipers on short grass, anything harsher and I stick the Hard MX's on.
    Its good to know that you dont need expensive foams so I bought some of these in the link. They seem to be quite good and solid. Time will tell if they are any good after a good thrashing. New Vipers should be here tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3311637746...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes the vipers are belted tires so 'cheap and cheerful' foams are all you need. The lighter and cheaper the better

i just use MX's all the time now and only use the ubers at bashfest and the like or when the MX's can't find the grip. Apart from that its MX's all round.

MX' are good but its nice to have mini mx's I think too. They were really good at bashfest with heaps of grip if the ground was right. Only problem with the mini's is they don't seem to want to stay on the wheels lately

New Vipers fitted

are they making viper fronts ??

I spoke to Mark at bashfest last year and he said that fronts were going to get made at some point. But didn't know when.