Thread: Uber vipers v Hostile MXs

Default Uber vipers v Hostile MXs

Well as I have had both I thought I would give my views on the two.
    Obviously this is only my opinion and depending where you bash you may find different results.

Firstly the MXs:
    Bashed these through the winter on wet grass mainly, found them to give great grip on acceleration, and cornering there was just a slight give which enabled the back end to kick out which I found perfect for my driving style.
    Although my buddy bought some Vipers and they seemed to have a noticeable amount of extra straight line grip compared to my MXs.
    When recently I had a chance to run them on dry short grass the grip was excellent and was popping wheelies for fun.
    But on that bash I ripped the inner wall off on both tyres!

Now the vipers:
    These I have been bashing for about a month and the level of grip is outstanding, too much for my liking. With these on I struggle to keep the front wheels on the ground when accelerating, this is a pain in the arse when trying to power out of a corner.
    But having said that on wet grass they are still phenomenal!

For me I can't decide which is better, I have bought another set of MXs and if these fail like before it will make up my mind for me.
    I think I will be using the MXs for summer and Vipers as a winter tyre

You want to get extra hard MX's and a set of vipers for bashfest when the going is too slippery for MX's. If you are just going to get one set of tires then I would say Vipers because you will probably want to go racing, although my vipers didn't last long at all compared to the MX's. But that said, your MX's haven't lasted that long either. I'm surprised with the inside going, quite impressed. Its normally the outside that goes. Don't get tires off fleabay unless you know its coming from someone like MMR, or someone like that who has an ebay account. Otherwise ten to one, you will be buying copies. Well, thats what I think any road.

You have't got anything on your car that could have been rubbing on the tire when going fast and drifting the car have you? The wheels can flex quite a lot and distort. You will be surprised what shape they can get in to and rub on things that you wouldn't expect
    Last edited by biscuits; 31-03-2016 at 22:53.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    You want to get extra hard MX's and a set of vipers for bashfest when the going is too slippery for MX's. If you are just going to get one set of tires then I would say Vipers because you will probably want to go racing, although my vipers didn't last long at all compared to the MX's. But that said, your MX's haven't lasted that long either. I'm surprised with the inside going, quite impressed. Its normally the outside that goes. Don't get tires off fleabay unless you know its coming from someone like MMR, or someone like that who has an ebay account. Otherwise ten to one, you will be buying copies. Well, thats what I think any road.

You have't got anything on your car that could have been rubbing on the tire when going fast and drifting the car have you? The wheels can flex quite a lot and distort. You will be surprised what shape they can get in to and rub on things that you wouldn't expect
    That's not a bad shout mate as I have footage on my gopro of an argument with a tree my baja had and the amount of flex the front wishbone had was unreal as there was no visible damage!
    I don't have rear extenders yet and they may help if that's the case.
    I was surprised at the failure as they seem to be made really well and the rubber is tough.
    They were the hard compound and I have now bought the extra hard.

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Biggest piece of advice for Vipers is don't run them on too hard ground or they'll soon be Uber Slicks lol.
    They grip better than MXs on a like for like surface, but MXs last longer on hard packed surfaces, I ran MXs for a whole summer on some ground I know is hard packed and actually a bit sandy in places and they weren't that worn, after maybe 25 tanks of fuel... I ran the Vipers for about 7 tanks and they were about the same wear in the same area.
    Absolutely great tyre on say grass or mud though.

Yeah I thought they would wear easily when I felt how soft they were. That's why I'm going to use them for winter bashing.
    Will bring emotion to bashfest incase it rains like last year

I pulled all the knobbly bits off my first set of vipers bashing with them, but I still think you need to have a set of vipers for racing as they can give more grip, so I bought another set. I use the MX's more than the vipers.

What engine do you run? Do you have the steering issue I have?

29.5 engine. Not really got steering issues, except the usual ones that they all suffer from. If you got steering issues my advice would be to lower the car have the lower a-arms settle parallel with the floor when you drop the car on its wheels, have the suspension on the soft side for off road and check your diff is not too thicker oil, I use grease in mine which is like having 1k oil.

To be fair, there isn't a quick answer to that question and everyone is different, but my car would not turn what so ever and the above suggestions are what made a difference for me. You just got to play around with things. Also try going on and off the throttle, like blipping it when you go round corners. As soon as your car puts the power down it will try to go in a straight line and the front wheels are lighter which makes steering even harder. So try not to continually drive the car round a corner as it will just try to go in a straight line. You can if you practice, touch the back brake and then put the power down and drift the car. Obviously this is above me. I tend to brake, blip the throttle round a corner and then feed the power in till full throttle. Sometimes slowing down, actually makes you go faster. But I would start with lowering the car and making your suspension a little softer and practice some different cornering techniques.

Oh, if you haven't already done it, take your anti-roll bars off for off road. That will help too.