Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kraken x3 chassis

I've decided to go with an open (as I have carbon side skirts) original chassis.

Theres not a great difference between the ally ones and the kracken I'm torn not because of price but because of overall strength.

It's a shame but have had to get several other bits so used spare dollar to get 990 carb and ally adapter for it and wheels as one of my urber rears came out of beadwork as screws starting to stretch holes.

Needed to get engine mounts also.

Proper itching for a scz now and exhaust.

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Why not an IRC one? Lifetime warranty and cheaper than a new HPI one... Unless it's not HPI you're going with?

Hpi chassis ain't expensive!?

The irc ones are out of stock for silver. There on order. Really want it back onroad so just made do for now!!

I suppose it depends where you buy it but the ones I found are about 110.
    It's always worth E-Mailing Rob as well about colours, he might have one there, just not updated the website.
    I certainly think if you need a chassis it makes sense to go for an upgrade one, especially something as good as Robs with a lifetime warranty to boot.
    Just my 2p though.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    Why not an IRC one? Lifetime warranty and cheaper than a new HPI one... Unless it's not HPI you're going with?
    I thought it was only the rear chassis plate had a lifetime warranty??
    Last edited by xXSILVERSTONEXx; 06-04-2016 at 20:01.
    Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which I desire

So did I, but I asked Rob and he said he will cover any part under the same warranty, as long as it's not been butchered to bits.
    Although it's unlikely you'll snap one especially if running with the under chassis brace and a decent top plate and bumper.
    Hell, I couldn't break mine even when I tried to (stupid I know but it was fun trying )

To be fair I've bent loads of hpi alloy chassis. They aren't very strong as they have the sides cut out of them. I don't know how bent it is but have you thought about just taking a hammer to it and bashing it straight. Only time I wouldn't bother do to this would be if I bent the front as its just going to bend again much easier once its been straightened. But if you can hammer the side back out why not try that first.

The IRC chassis will be much stronger than a standard hpi chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    To be fair I've bent loads of hpi alloy chassis. They aren't very strong as they have the sides cut out of them. I don't know how bent it is but have you thought about just taking a hammer to it and bashing it straight. Only time I wouldn't bother do to this would be if I bent the front as its just going to bend again much easier once its been straightened. But if you can hammer the side back out why not try that first.

The IRC chassis will be much stronger than a standard hpi chassis.
    I've bent 2 Irc chassis I'd choose stock over Irc

You can't have been running the right gear on it then really, is all I can think of, having used a KM chassis, HPI chassis, I-RC chassis and the Uber carbon one... The I-RC one gave me the most confidence that it wouldn't ever break.
    With the under chassis brace, TR top plate and RPM front bumper, it's pretty much the perfect set up for the front end.

I had the brace uber front bumper and tr plate...

Probably not the best bumper for the job lol.
    Personally rate the RPM one higher now I've used one long term, well, used both long term actually.
    You must have had something wrong in the set up or just been extremely unlucky.
    I'd say probably the latter but you never know, if something is just a little bit off it can be transfered elsewhere.

either go for HPi chassis with the IRCunder plate and TR top brace or IRC chassis with the same setup and a RPM bumper

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    Probably not the best bumper for the job lol.
    Personally rate the RPM one higher now I've used one long term, well, used both long term actually.
    You must have had something wrong in the set up or just been extremely unlucky.
    I'd say probably the latter but you never know, if something is just a little bit off it can be transfered elsewhere.
    As far as I know there's only one way for the top plate and chassis etc. to bolt together so how can it be my setup???
    And I did use the rpm bumper second time around with a new tr top plate!!
    I know I'm not alone with this I've seen it happen to others first hand

2 threads about a bloody chassis

Crash for crash IE 30-40-50+ mph head on I'd say the Krakens going to come out on top, and has the OP side swiped a post then the alloys just going to bend regardless now if parts are not has they seem i deffo let people no.
    As said I broke the the X2 after a year and was replaced for a few peanuts with a X3 now I'm sure sooner or later this will brake, but if the X3 is still around then I'd replace with the same.

If not the id give the IRC one a go it's cheap but would also need bracing if you don't have extra braces, so that will add a little.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Quote Originally Posted by xXSILVERSTONEXx View Post
    As far as I know there's only one way for the top plate and chassis etc. to bolt together so how can it be my setup???
    And I did use the rpm bumper second time around with a new tr top plate!!
    I know I'm not alone with this I've seen it happen to others first hand
    That's why I said 'the latter'... But it does seem extremely unlucky to bend two chassis' especially since they're so tough.
    I bent a KM chassis within a few tanks of fuel without the I-RC under chassis or TR top plate... I added those two bits along with an RPM front bumper and it's still bang on 31mm when I take everything off it andn that's 'monkey metal' as a lot of folk call it.
    It's had probably 60+ tanks through it and most of them have been pretty hard tanks as well.