Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baja rebuild

Default My baja rebuild

I bought this baja a couple of months ago and this is how it looked when I got it.

I decided to strip it down, and upgrade it as I go. I had one about 7 years ago but didn't get used as much as it should and now I've got the bug again.

Once stripped I decided to de anodise to the raw finish and a slight polish..

It had the standard 23cc engine in it, so I thought for ages about what engine to put in.. A brand new unused 26ss engine on the bay at a reasonable price so I bought it. Needed the clutch, pull start and air filter. I bought a high response clutch as the one in old engine was quite worn anyway. Done the mesh mod on pull start and installed a new standard air filter set up.

While waiting for parts to arrive.. Mainly my complete screw kit. I stripped and rebuilt the shocks with fresh oil. Also put some black shock boots on. Quite pleased how they look with the alloy caps etc.

My screw set finally arrived.. Another thing tho half the screws washers etc wasn't even in there so only got a tiny bit of the build started.. Annoying ain't the word considering how much the screws was!

Got quite a few upgrades already and still waiting on quite a few as well. Still undecided whether to upgrade drive cups and dog bones, don't really fancy changing the rear carriers as read and seen you need to on a lot of them?

The them of the car will be black, raw aluminium and white.
    So just waiting on more parts and the screw set to be sorted out to carry on..
    Suppose I better spend some time with the misses now at night till my bits come!!

After all that didn't realise only 12 pictures per post so had to delete a load of them.
    I'll update this when more progress or parts arrive.

Bit more progress..
    Just waiting on my fast eddy wheel bearings and darksoul axel extenders to finish front end

Then I went to atatch to main chassis and the top plate
    Wouldn't sit flush, even pushing really hard wouldn't line up. Closer inspection and the chassis wasn't straight and out of line.. Tried to straighten it out with the tools I've got but just couldn't get it true to sit nicely.. So a new chassis needed..
    I think.. What do you guys think.. Is it savagable?!

I straitened mine last year with a big adjustable spanner mate an its still going strong.
    if you get an irc kick plate it'll give you something to work to, plus it will make you chassis stronger for the future

Yeah think I'll try that cheers, before I fork out for a new one.. Just looks kinda bent in a few couple of places. Will def invest in that kick plate tho. Cheers for that.

I had a flat out head on with a dbxl and my chassis and irc brace where twisted every which way...lol

You'll be surprised how easy it is to bend back with a big shifter bud

Ha well after your advice I've managed to salvage it with some good ol water pump pliers.. I guess it's sorted as all the screw holes lined up.. Cheers for that saved me a few quid!!
    Got as far as I can get now until my tr quick dif box comes, tr billet dif case and my dark soul extended axels come.. Few pics how it stands now..

Spot on bud..theres 90 or so towards your quick diff

Hi mate. Good job!

Had mine for a year and did nothing to it apart from a few upgraded parts with the drive train.

This year I stripped everything and rescrewed with tonys screws and spent hundreds on parts to upgrade further!

All fun until i crashed and bent chassis so semi rebuilt again lol

Cheers man, most of my parts needed delivered tomorrow a few on back order so can crack on some more then! Just glad the misses don't realise how much I've spent on this lol!!

All good tho.. Can't wait to get it done and get it out!

Lol I have to hide true cost of things also. Ended up buying me a few birthday presents as gave her a list costing 300 and that's without the 300 I spent and just spent 150 lol

Got blackbone 2 speed, toobz, hemiboots, darksoul v2 dogbone, chassis, fuel tank, screw set, 990 carb, window set, carbon side skirts from urber along with twin air filter pack.

Can't think what else

Need to sneek a Szc engine next. Gonna see about collecting from a drop off box/locker thing or something. Or me neighbour and pick up when she not about lol

Quote Originally Posted by calibra306 View Post
    Need to sneek a Szc engine next. Gonna see about collecting from a drop off box/locker thing or something. Or me neighbour and pick up when she not about lol

007 you pal. I've got a joint account so I can hide nothing. Luckily my Mrs is pretty easy going as I don't go out.

Nice delivery today...

some nice bits are rolling there

Got this done tonight.. I do like the turtle gear.. The quick diff box and billet diff case are quality bits of kits.. So all been built up with new fast eddy bearings and flm super duty 4 ever cups.. They look quite a lot beefier and better made over the stock so seen quite happy.. Don't see many people using them on here tho, used 10000 oil in diff as well as seems a popular choice... Few pics

Quote Originally Posted by Hazey88 View Post
    Got this done tonight.. I do like the turtle gear.. The quick diff box and billet diff case are quality bits of kits.. So all been built up with new fast eddy bearings and flm super duty 4 ever cups.. They look quite a lot beefier and better made over the stock so seen quite happy.. Don't see many people using them on here tho, used 10000 oil in diff as well as seems a popular choice... Few pics

I use full FLM set up pal. Going strong

Sweet that's good to hear!! How long have you been running them for?

Only since Christmas. I recently changed my motor to a 32. I've jumped the thing flat out and not had a problem yet pal. I was warned off them and told to go fat dad but I didn't. There working for me pal

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty napalm View Post
    007 you pal. I've got a joint account so I can hide nothing. Luckily my Mrs is pretty easy going as I don't go out.
    I don't smoke or drink well have a little drink here and there but we trying Tbilisi to save for a wedding so she on me a bit.

i would have gone with a 5SC cups and driveshafts with the oobz on them