Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hostile mx Splitting

Default Hostile mx Splitting

Hi guys and gals, I am having problems with hostile mx rear tyres, I have managed to tear the inner rim on 2 separate occasions on 2 different sides, the pics are of the most recent one. The wheels are stock hpi and the bead locks are silverback lipped full kit. Of course I run on all kinds of terrain mostly loose stuff and the motor is a g320rc. I am tiring of this added expenditure so im wondering if there is something I need to do or given my setup is there a better, stronger tyre that is not going to give up before I get any wear out of them. Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

tape your foams up, or use zero growth foams

Could also do the nut and bolt mod to beadlocks forget that its your inside beads
    Last edited by llazaru; 28-05-2016 at 12:32.

Cheers I will give that a go

Quote Originally Posted by llazaru View Post
    tape your foams up, or use zero growth foams

Could also do the nut and bolt mod to beadlocks forget that its your inside beads
    Saying that Paul....I did the nut and bolt mod on the outers and cured them pulling out and then the problem went to the inners pulling out as well, so I fitted some short wood screws into the inner beads and since then they have never pulled out....it sounds a little crude I know but it solved it permanently for me wth my MX's on HPI rims and Silverback HD bead locks

Inspect the tyre where it's ripped and see how thick the wall is where it's let go, I'm guessing you'll see some areas are thicker than other areas and been paper thing where it's ripped.

Also note you still have to tape zero foams, I've ripped 2 or 3 of those and DDM said did I tape erm lol kind of defeats the object of buying erm and my stock moulded taped foams have out lasted untapped zeros.

Sent via tapatalk on a cloned mobile device TRCC
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

you have it spot on Baja5b-ss, they did rip and not just pull out, wonder what Hostile will say this time, last time they offered a 50% reduction on a new set, so if at the least they offer that then ill be happy, although that's two sets with the same outcome so the search for a better quality tyre continues.

Hey coalminer what size was the nut and bolt, might go down that route as well, also do you remember the size of wood screw m8 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Baja5b-SS View Post
    Inspect the tyre where it's ripped and see how thick the wall is where it's let go, I'm guessing you'll see some areas are thicker than other areas and been paper thing where it's ripped.

Also note you still have to tape zero foams, I've ripped 2 or 3 of those and DDM said did I tape erm lol kind of defeats the object of buying erm and my stock moulded taped foams have out lasted untapped zeros.

5B zero`s have never let me down no tape, bit heavy but do the job seen a few of the red 5sc`s go bang on other forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tony14 View Post
    Hey coalminer what size was the nut and bolt, might go down that route as well, also do you remember the size of wood screw m8 ?
    if you have v3 silverback beadlocks you can use m3 bolts with nylock nuts, I used 20mm length could prob get away with 16mm looking back, v2 beads will not take an m3 head so m2.5 best for them

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    Saying that Paul....I did the nut and bolt mod on the outers and cured them pulling out and then the problem went to the inners pulling out as well, so I fitted some short wood screws into the inner beads and since then they have never pulled out....it sounds a little crude I know but it solved it permanently for me wth my MX's on HPI rims and Silverback HD bead locks

Don't look crude mate seen a lot worse at least your heads are right size(on inners)

5B zero`s have never let me down no tape, bit heavy but do the job seen a few of the red 5sc`s go bang on other forums

Yep mine was the red truck zeros but when DDM told me to tape erm I thought FK that and just use stock, but seen quite a few MX's just rip at the wall because there to thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony14 View Post
    you have it spot on Baja5b-ss, they did rip and not just pull out, wonder what Hostile will say this time, last time they offered a 50% reduction on a new set, so if at the least they offer that then ill be happy, although that's two sets with the same outcome so the search for a better quality tyre continues.

You'll just keep doing it mate unless you get lucky and have a set that's actually moulded right, a mate was wrecking them pretty much every bash.

DDM refused to give him any more and offered him 50% off vipers instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja5b-SS View Post
    Yep mine was the red truck zeros but when DDM told me to tape erm I thought FK that and just use stock, but seen quite a few MX's just rip at the wall because there to thin.

Maybe Mad Max got the contract off hostile yes few peeps having ripping probs recently

Maybe Mad Max got the contract off hostile yes few peeps having ripping probs recently
    That's true.....I ripped a brand new Mini Mx rear after 10 mins running. Not impressed with the mini's, the tyre wall was like tissue paper...so thin !.

And as Dean says, if the tyres not been molded the right thickness they are going to tear off

I have Vipers on now...zero growth tyres

Last edited by coalminer; 28-05-2016 at 17:49.

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    That's true.....I ripped a brand new Mini Mx rear after 10 mins running. Not impressed with the mini's, the tyre wall was like tissue paper...so thin !.

And as Dean says, if the tyres not been molded the right thickness they are going to tear off

I have Vipers on now...zero growth tyres

Vipers here too for grass

have a look at my bumper Si in what did you do to your car today

Thanks gents, I stripped them down and used original black duck tape around the foams, then carefully put back together, I had a spare tyre from the rip before where I only needed to replace one, the other has plenty of rubber left. Would you guys suggest going with vipers next time, are they better made or should I stick with mx. I do grass and loose dry dirt mostly, the mx have given me decent grip just the quality seems to be hit and miss. Thanks for the input as well at least now I have an opinion other than the manufacturers.

The vipers are a belted tyre and do not baloon

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

I'm sure others have already said but it's part of a moulding defect, they will warranty ANY tyre that rips like that, 100% free replacement.
    I had a pair, my uncles had a pair and my mate Ray has had a pair, no ripped another one from the new batch.
    At least they've admitted fault and are replacing them, which is good, it's a shame when it ruins a bash though.
    I also ran Vipers for a while too, excellent tyres, just don't use them on anything to hard packed or they'll soon be Viper Slicks, not Spikes
    For general grass and especially loose surfaces, I rate the Mini MX over anything else that I've tried (nearly all of 'em lol) they grip well, barely wear at all (Hard compound for me) and I've never split any either, it only seems to be the MXs that split.
    I always had a spare pair of Mini MX on hand ready to quickly swap if needed

My mini MX only lasted 10 mins Dan. Something in the production must have affected both.

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Ohhh, first ones I've known to let go Si, I know loads have posted about MX, but not the Minis.
    Hmm, very unlucky mate... Thankfully I gave mine absolute hell and they lasted no problem at all.