Thread: Losi 5ive-T

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Default Losi 5ive-T

Some may know I've been a bit unsure with RCing lately, considered leaving the hobby all together, definitely knew I needed either a break or a total change from the large scales, it either meant no large scales for a while or get a 5ive.
    As the buggy is quite a way off yet with no real confirmed dates I thought I'd go with a 5ive, given the only reason my other one was sold was because I had no one else to run with at the time and it became boring on my tod.
    So, at the moment this is still in the 'experimenting' stage, but I'm enjoying it so far, to my surprise.
    It isn't going to be a massively specced truck, it will only have stuff added that it needs to improve the speed or strength.
    I've done a couple of videos which I'll post below, nothing spectacular but the engine has only just completed it's third tank, so I've been going easy on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8F_Vga4G2M

Current spec list.

Losi 5ive-T
    Zenoah G320RC
    Switchblade killswitch
    Victory RC big bore
    Savox 0235 throttle/brake
    Outerwear air filter
    Outerwears pullstart
    Silverback beadlocks
    Uber-RC wheel nuts
    Team FastEddy 2 degree anti-squat brace
    Team Chase steering arm
    AreaRC vented clutch carrier
    AreaRC front chassis brace
    AreaRC rear chassis brace
    AreaRC steering servo clamps
    DDM Pro throttle linkage
    DDM chrome rear springs (11.0lb)
    GPM 21t pinion

Next things to attend to is better steering and that will about do it, the engine runs great, pipe has plenty of power and overall I'm happy with the truck thus far.
    I'm wondering if to go with just a steering servo swap or servo and/or battery to a LiFe pack from a NiMH.
    Another option is to put the Savox from the throttle in there and put the Losi servo on throttle/brake duties, plenty of time to decide anyway.
    Just serviced the diffs today with 30k in the rear and 50k in the centre, front is nice and loose as I want it so that's fine as it is.
    That's all for now
    Last edited by Oh How Original; 08-06-2016 at 18:36.

Had this out again this afternoon, quite a hairy moment, did a jump and it landed with throttle about 3/4, my finger was off the trigger, pressed the brake and it was immediately fine, happened again a few minutes later.

I either have a slightly sticker linkage after putting the centre diff back in or the servos on it's way out.

Going to swap the servos round for the next run and adjust the linkage a bit and see what happens.

Order the DDM Pro linkage anyway, along with some parts from AreaRC, never used them before but my Dad has some on his Baja and nothing has broken yet, others have also commented they are decent quality parts, so thought I'd give 'em a try.

We tried to get a bit of footage but the cameras kept coming loose, so their maybe some footage to follow, although their may not

Well I think I have discovered the cause of the dodgy sticky throttle, while taking the engine out, I have noticed the throttle shaft end is quite rounded with quite a lot of play in it, although the screw was tight in, I'm guessing it's been slipping every so often when a lot of pressure is applied, particular when on the brakes, and that's been the cause (possibly)

Can anyone confirm if a 668 throttle shaft will fit a 1107 carb please?

Saves me buying one and waiting for it to arrive as I have a 668 sat here, I don't want to have to strip both down though only to find they're not compatible, so if anyone could confirm either way I'd be most greatful!

Also fitted some new parts todays, AreaRC vented clutch carrier, front chassis brace, rear chassis brace and some little brace things for the steering servo, as I noticed the rubber one were moving, so alloy ones should sort that.

I'm still going to swap the servos round though for a bit more power on steering duties, it can't hurt to try.

I feel the stock steering servo will be plenty powerful enough on braking duty too, I have to agree with Noj that a quick flick of the steering usually slows them down quite well, if you have some mild brakes applied, it's almost instantly stopped.

So, onwards and upwards

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    Well I think I have discovered the cause of the dodgy sticky throttle, while taking the engine out, I have noticed the throttle shaft end is quite rounded with quite a lot of play in it, although the screw was tight in, I'm guessing it's been slipping every so often when a lot of pressure is applied, particular when on the brakes, and that's been the cause (possibly)

Can anyone confirm if a 668 throttle shaft will fit a 1107 carb please?

Saves me buying one and waiting for it to arrive as I have a 668 sat here, I don't want to have to strip both down though only to find they're not compatible, so if anyone could confirm either way I'd be most greatful!

Also fitted some new parts todays, AreaRC vented clutch carrier, front chassis brace, rear chassis brace and some little brace things for the steering servo, as I noticed the rubber one were moving, so alloy ones should sort that.

I'm still going to swap the servos round though for a bit more power on steering duties, it can't hurt to try.

I feel the stock steering servo will be plenty powerful enough on braking duty too, I have to agree with Noj that a quick flick of the steering usually slows them down quite well, if you have some mild brakes applied, it's almost instantly stopped.

So, onwards and upwards
    throttle shafts are the same dan, the only shaft thats different is the 813 one ,

Yeah cheers Paul, I decided to check the little silver bit on the spare shaft without removing it, it still seemed to slip a bit, I've worked out a little solution though, which hopefully should sort it.

Received some parts and got them on, must admit I'm quite impressed with the quality and feel of the AreaRC stuff.
    Also got the GPM pinion and 21t inserts, the inserts are a tiny bit tight, I'm guessing it's just because of the anodising on them over the raw Losi ones, but a gentle tap and they seated perfectly, apart from as predicted, the last one, which wouldn't go in either way due to the higher gearing count.
    So just used a button head and a washer instead.
    Also think I have figured out why the throttle kept sticking, it keeps there's some slip on the little silver thing that attaches to the throttle shaft on the carb, so I've added the DDM Pro throttle linkage and also moved the spring and collet out of the way, so now under braking, there's no pressure against the little silver bit, coupled with perfectly set end points, SHOULD have sorted that problem out.
    Due to the design of the throttle/brake linkage, it was never an issue on the badgers, but it seems it is on this just because of the design.
    No more steering servo wobble either thanks to the clamps and done away with the rubber bits.
    Also fitted a new front bumper brace, how the seller claimed he never noticed it, I'll never know, second to last picture shows it, it should be flat! (I didn't realise until the new bit arrived)
    The carb was also full of fluff and crap!
    Seems this things never been serviced, dry diffs and shocks.
    It's now all serviced with fresh bearings where needed, only thing bugging me now is the looseness in some of the ball ends, but that'll keep for now!

Here's some more footage from us... I'm really enjoying filming, editing etc... So I will be out doing it at every opportunity, please subscribe/like/comment etc... For more in the future, it's all very appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBOi...ature=youtu.be

Well I received my Hitec 845WP today and it's far too tall for steering duties.

The mount is either modified in my truck or people are using spacers (which I don't have handy) so I've gone back to the stock servo, I'll replace with an 0236/0235 when this one dies.

Rather disappointed when the shop told me it'd fit, the measurements are only wider/longer, didn't mention it doesn't fit on height!

Glad to see you back with a Largescale fella

Cheers Rav... Yep, glad to be enjoying it too.
    Hopefully get to go out with it either tomorrow or the day after, weather dependant.
    It really started to open up when I was tweaking the carb at the end of the last run, but with the sticky throttle I wasn't gunning it... That's hopefully now fixed though.

I think this is possibly one of my better made videos, due to camera angles and such.
    Feedback is welcome, a subscription/like/comment/share is always very much appreciated
    Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxj9...ature=youtu.be

Another video here... Enjoying getting the 5ive out and giving it a rip round, especially when we end up with some fairly decent footage.
    Must admit, I have been expecting slightly better quality, so I may invest in a GoPro to compare it to the SJ4000 cams.
    But this was a little bit experimental with the slowmo stuff to see if it would pick up the suspension moving and everything working together smoothly or if it would lag.
    Comments/likes/subscribe, all that good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oayc...ature=youtu.be

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

slo mo onboard stuff would look good an all dan i reckon

Aye I've got a new mount Paul which will require a few small holes in the shell and I'm thinking about putting a bit of thin sheet alloy underneath just to hopefully stop it vibrating and shaking around as much.
    Hopefully get some good onboard shots with it mate

Well on the last outing my front gearbox decided to explode.
    So, no running footage of mine, although from the video thumbnail you can see my truck (which genuinely wasn't staged at all) however, I didn't start filming immediately, so just footage of my Dads Baja and Rays 5ive.
    Short and sweet video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtZN...ature=youtu.be