Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5b tire and wheel question

Default 5b tire and wheel question

Only got Hostile MX's left after bashfest. Destroyed my mini MX's and vipers at bashfest. Not paying for anymore they just rip off my wheels.

Does anyone know of any glued tires/wheels with 24mm hexes that will fit my hpi baja 5b? Cheers

not used them myself but seen peeps using these http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...U4fGf1hdsbfYKQ

Another option is fg wheel converters and pick some fg wheels up cheap on ebay.
    http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/prod...si-5ive-t.html

Here's my basher with fg wheels

You may be able to see my ts reed tucked in there too

I had my elcon wheels on at bashfest. I don't use them much as they can break but the rears have the mammoth tires on them and I was ploughing round the track on Sunday. I had too lower gearing though as the wheels are smaller. But they were great in the mud. I threw my ubers in 3 laps twice and the minis completely ripped off the wheels. If I'd upped the gearing and gone back out with the elcons it would have been flying.

I might try just glueing all my tires and foams to the wheels first now and see how that works first before looking for another wheel and tire that will stay on. It all seems to be a bit mix and match at the moment.

I was really surprised when the ubers kept coming off though once I started to push them. I thought they were really tough, but they don't stay on any better than anything else.

I think there is a wheel that you can mount elcon tires too and that fit the baja and don't break like the elcon wheels do.

Cheers Mark,

That might be an option

Last edited by mark35; 04-09-2016 at 21:11.

No worries Andy.
    I had the same problem, I bet the belting is snapped in your vipers.

Like that......goosed..

I didn't know that they did that. Thats interesting. Get any corning speed on them and mine just come off the rims and the foams come out Got to give it to the elcons though and mammoth tires. Although the wheels do break, the tires haven't ever come off. I just keep ripping the hexes out of the wheels with the elcons.

I have my foams gorilla taped, they stayed on the rims when my vipers started coming off.
    Just to add, my vipers where trouble free for about 12 months.

I've been using GRPs for a few years with no issues. The v1s have stopped production now. I'll be trying the new dish wheels next. Massive tire choice as all the glued tyres fit.

http://www.grpgandini.it/index.php?p...emid=6&lang=en
    L-E-L

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    Only got Hostile MX's left after bashfest. Destroyed my mini MX's and vipers at bashfest. Not paying for anymore they just rip off my wheels.
    Just out of curiosity what engine are you running?
    Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which I desire

Only the 30.5 at the moment m8

It's very odd, I've never had an issue with tyres coming off and being destroyed, have you tried the nut a bolt mod on the outer bead lock and some screws with a better thread on the inner?

Got nut and bolt mon. Silverback bead locks. They still come off. My minis actually ripped off. The rears were still under the bead locks but both tires just ripped away. I can't even put them back on. And one über ripped. The othe just kept pulling out. I think the rubber is too soft.

If if I buy new tires I'm going to try gluing them on as well. But I think those grp glued tires and wheels might be the answer. If you drive flat out and go round corners I don't think there is that much that will stay on if you hammer them hard enough.

It only started to happen on Sunday when the engine started to get more run in and started to go faster. If they are t staying on now they definitely won't later as the car is getting even faster

I just find it odd I've run 30.5's, a 34 and a 46 never had an issue with tyres and they are mostly hostile's

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
    I had my elcon wheels on at bashfest. I don't use them much as they can break but the rears have the mammoth tires on them and I was ploughing round the track on Sunday. I had too lower gearing though as the wheels are smaller. But they were great in the mud. I threw my ubers in 3 laps twice and the minis completely ripped off the wheels. If I'd upped the gearing and gone back out with the elcons it would have been flying.

I might try just glueing all my tires and foams to the wheels first now and see how that works first before looking for another wheel and tire that will stay on. It all seems to be a bit mix and match at the moment.

I was really surprised when the ubers kept coming off though once I started to push them. I thought they were really tough, but they don't stay on any better than anything else.

I think there is a wheel that you can mount elcon tires too and that fit the baja and don't break like the elcon wheels do.
    just glued my vipers to the rims andy, mine were coming off the inner bead every bash ,( thats on the twin though )
    also my bands inside em have gone like marks as well, they just balloon like any other tyre now,

Let us know how you get on now with them glued. The twin will soon let you know if it works or not with all that power

Did anyone try tape inside the tyre?