Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OHOs back in the Baja fraternity HPI Baja 5B SS

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    Yeah it is, especially considering it's only the supports.
    Abbots don't have what I need, unfortunately, you can't find the parts new anymore.
    I have just bagged a TR rear shock brace in black, so I might just order the matching front in black.
    Yeah TR is a good way to go maybe just run the stok supports since if you make it all alloy there will be no flex.

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EAS View Post
    Yeah TR is a good way to go maybe just run the stok supports since if you make it all alloy there will be no flex.
    I keep smashing the stock ones to bits.

I keep smashing the stock ones to bits.
    goog luck hope that you find a set up that you like.

Integy F.T.W had these since 2011, have also snapped a GH racing one before

That surprises me... Interesting to hear feedback though, I know Integy CAN be crap, but I also know some stuff is okay, it's a bit hit and miss so I usually tend to steer clear, that's food for thought though.

Some footage here from a few weeks ago, giving the Bajas a good run.
    My Dads engine (with the blue and red beadlocks) isn't faulty or broken or lean, it's still pretty new and he's taking it easy on the throttle.
    Hope you enjoy.

Finally got round to doing a few bits and bobs today,new on/off switch finally plumbed in, Vertigo rear extenders, new quick release mod on the roll cage, prefer this flat black look to the blue, front Turtle shock tower and brace combo, rear TR shock brace, still got Hostile hubs to put on but they can wait for another day.

All ready to go, when we can be bothered and the weather improves!

A rather crap bash today, I knew a bolt had come out of my rear shock on the last run, but I didn't realise the whole thread was stripped out of the arm, so I just put a new one in until it went tight (I now realise it was because of the dirt in the hole) and after a few laps, my shock dropped and I kept going, eventually it totally let go and my springs flung off, perch is gone and bottom of the shaft has snapped off, ending our bash very early.
    All repaired now, put a longer bolt through with a nyloc on the back so that should solve that.
    Noticed a lot of wear in my hinge pin braces, any solutions?
    I-RC are out of stock of black or silver and I know Dean does the Bonehead set which are nice, but I don't want an entire set so 25 for just the one I want is too much for me, the single part doesn't seem to be in stock.
    Anyone else make a hinge pin brace worth buying?
    If not I'll fire Rob an E-Mail.

Well, I'm definitely in need of some new gaskets... Pretty sure it'll be fine after that and a bit of a clean up, I've not been as meticulous in maintaining this as much as I usually would be, it rarely gets cleaned which has perhaps come back to haunt me lol.
    Would you fellas say this piston is good to use?
    Very light score mark, I assume from it sucking a bit of dirt in when the head gasket let go, but you can't even feel it to be honest and the compression still feels good?
    Time to hunt out a quality gasket set!

Hail the 4 bolt!!!

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

that piston looks fine dan ,
    its not deeply gouged or anything like that,
    if the cylinder bores still good and that then run it mate ,

or do what laz says and get a 4 bolt

Some footage I only just got round to editing, shot a little while ago on one of our many bashing adventures lol.

Aye, I know I need to lol, I'm just getting my moneys worth out of what came with the kit.
    I've seen a really nice 29.5 Scott Finlay Pro Race factory engine, with a lightened flywheel and piston... But I really want another boat and can't get both LOL!

New head gasket held up find to the last run, rather unluckily I managed to lose two e clips at the same time off the same hinge pin!
    The hinge pin holders are very loose though but I do have some Bonehead carbon ones ready to go on.
    Can anyone recommend a decent bolted hinge pin?
    If memory serves Kraken did some? (might be wrong) but were very expensive?

New head gasket held up find to the last run, rather unluckily I managed to lose two e clips at the same time off the same hinge pin!
    The hinge pin holders are very loose though but I do have some Bonehead carbon ones ready to go on.
    Can anyone recommend a decent bolted hinge pin?
    If memory serves Kraken did some? (might be wrong) but were very expensive?
    You can make your own from high tensile steel bolts. Cheap and super strong. You'll have to cut some of the heads off but leave just enough to grip with a tool.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]
    Last edited by Milodan; 02-05-2017 at 16:29.
    BETTER TO LIVE A DAY AS A TIGER THAN A LIFE AS A SHEEP!

IRC sells bolted hinge pins, Rob sells them in pairs or a complete set I use them without any problems at all....

I've tried the stainless bolts in the past ....they are cheap to use and replace but they do still bend easily. Not for the serious basher I think.

I do prefer IRC ones for overall strength and reliability, used em for several years now. Just have to loctite one end though or they can be a pi55er to get out if the wrong screw loosens off first. However I've still heard of some folk bending IRC's before.

Not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs or owt Dan, but have you been fitting the e clips the right way around ? Rounded edge of the clip to the inside of the pin...square edge to the outer end of the pin.

I do think the HPI pins are strong, it's just the clips do ping off all to easily especially if the wrong way around. I'm sure I remember someone on here using those knock on star clip things and had a success with them...might have been BASS, I can't remember.
    Last edited by coalminer; 02-05-2017 at 17:14.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    I've tried the stainless bolts in the past ....they are cheap to use and replace but they do still bend easily. Not for the serious basher I think.

I do prefer IRC ones for overall strength and reliability, used em for several years now. Just have to loctite one end though or they can be a pi55er to get out if the wrong screw loosens off first. However I've still heard of some folk bending IRC's before.

Not wanting to teach you how to suck eggs or owt Dan, but have you been fitting the e clips the right way around ? Rounded edge of the clip to the inside of the pin...square edge to the outer end of the pin.

I do think the HPI pins are strong, it's just the clips do ping off all to easily especially if the wrong way around. I'm sure I remember someone on here using those knock on star clip things and had a success with them...might have been BASS, I can't remember.
    yep, it was gary (bass) that used the star clips si ,
    he still uses em to this day as far as i'm aware, never ever lost one off

Those star clips are a good idea... IMO the HPI and KM hinge pins are as solid as anyone elses, I just didn't realise there was another type of clip.
    I've ordered some 5mm and 6mm versions of those star clips, I'm happy to keep the stock pins, but the clips are annoying, mainly because they're a pain in the arse to find when they do come off!