Thread: Oil leak from diff

Default Oil leak from diff

Hello,
    Is it normal for your diff to leak if you not used it for a while?
    I've not ran the 5b for 3 Or 4 month and decided to check things over and I tuck off the rear side pod tray (whatever its called) and found oil on the bottom.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockerlee View Post
    Hello,
    Is it normal for your diff to leak if you not used it for a while?
    I've not ran the 5b for 3 Or 4 month and decided to check things over and I tuck off the rear side pod tray (whatever its called) and found oil on the bottom.
    yes mate they do leak sometimes, especially if they have the thin 1k diff oil in em,
    or it could also just be whatever grease you have on the gears in the gearbox as well, gets hots, breaks down a bit and leaks a tad,
    just give it a service and check how much oils inside the diff itself, chances are there will be not a lot in there ,
    refill with whichever oil you prefer , or go thicker to tighten the diff up a bit, or what some of the lads are now doing is they are using lithium grease instead of silicone,
    if you do refill, remember to have a new diff seal on hand cos the old one will probably have swollen ,

That's brilliant mate, thanks alot, it is still running the 1k oil or should I say it was I will try thicker oil for now.