Thread: A quick hello from me with a FG Marder and my Baja 5b....

Default A quick hello from me with a FG Marder and my Baja 5b....

Hiya Guys.
    I'm new to the forum and new to the whole RC scene too so please go easy on me ;-)
    Well my story started just 5wks ago when I purchased a used HPI WR8 Flux, A few days later I bought myself a HPI Savage 4.6 and then a HPI Trophy followed by a Baja 5b and finally my last purchase was a FG Marder, You can say I went just a little but crazy lol.
    I've still yet to use both the Baja and the Mardar but thought it best to do a little research beforehand. I know next to nothing about them unfortunately as I bought them both used, The Marder I purchased from a Lady who's Husband had died leaving her the Marder in fantastic condition. She told me he had spent a lot of money on it even buying a new engine and having the engine sent away to be worked on, I believe it has a 2 speed gearbox installed too, It has 4x disc brakes fitted but that's as far as the last owner got with installing them, I was given a Magura brake master cylinder but that's all I have so I will need to look into finding the rest of the parts needed to finish the hydraulic brake setup.
    Both the Baja and Marder have already been fitted with a failsafe device so I shouldn't have any worries to think about with regards to them doing a runner on me when use them. The Baja should be good to go (just add fuel) and I'm hoping to take it out tomorrow for my first go.
    I didn't get a transmitter/controller with the Marder but it does have a Futaba receiver already installed and so my first query is - Do both the Transmitter and Receiver have to be of the same brand, will I need to buy a Futaba transmitter to work in conjunction with the Futaba receiver already fitted on the Marder or can I get away with using a different brand of controller to pair with it. I wasn't joking when I said I was new to them lol ;-)
    Anyway I`ll try and add a few pictures of them for you to see and catch up later as I need to go for now but I`ll be back a little later to do a little more reading and learn a little more ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to BFUK matey looks like you been busy spending haha

yeah the rx (receiver)and tx (transmitter) need to match but a lot of transmitters have model memory so you can run different RXs on one handset.

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

Welcome to the forum mate.
    Nice clean cars there. What brand and model of transmitter and receivers are fitted to them ?

I run all my petrol and nitro cars from one Futaba transmitter
    Last edited by coalminer; 28-01-2017 at 13:48.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

welcome to the forum mate ,
    you really have jumped in in a big way aint you ? ,
    as above with the radio gear,
    marder looks good, do you have a picture of the master cylinder for the 4 wheel brakes ? some hydro brake setups use just one master cylinder for all 4 wheels ,
    so you may be lucky and have the right one ,
    the baja has some king motor parts on it by the looks of it though,
    ie; clone parts so might not be genuine hpi, you didn't mention whether that was sold to you as an hpi baja or just a baja mate,
    you will soon be upgrading it anyway so it wont be an issue anyway, just thought i'd mention it ,

Thank you for the warm welcome guys ;-)
    The transmitter that came with the Baja has a memory option but unfortunately it has no name or model number so I`ll throw up a pic of it, the others that I have all seem to be just bog standard HPI`s.
    The Baja was sold to me as a HPI I paid 350 for it not knowing the tell tail signs I thought nothing of it, but I've since come to realise it it may not be a HPI to which I'm a little gutted but as you have said I`ll end up customising it anyway so in that sense I'm not too fussed to be honest as long as its as reliable as can be I`ll be happy. I don't think i paid cheap for the Marder either, I paid 450 for it, but it is in fantastic condition and the engine is new too so again as long as it brings me loads of fun and not to much in the way of hassles I`ll be happy ;-)
    I've seen that the new HPI range are out very soon and so the plan will be to see how I get on with these and I will either save to buy a new flux model or sell these before I buy the new one.
    Below is a picture of the brake master cylinder fingers crossed I have the correct one as I'm skint lol ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello and welcome

Do you know what model the Futaba receiver is in the Marder ?

not quite sure from the pic of the master cylinder mate, but normally on a four brake setup the master cylinder will have two take offs for the brakes, one for the front and one for the rear, that's the bit on yours with the black plastic push on fitting,
    looks like an older type master cylinder as well,
    but nothing wrong with that ,
    I may be wrong on the two take offs but that's the normal setup,
    if it has only one take off then you could link both front and rears with an adapter and join to the single outlet, then try it and see if the cylinder will pump enough pressure to work em right,
    if not you coauld always make it a two disc setup , just remove the ones your not gonna use and have either fronts or rears

The receiver that I have in the Marder Coalminer is a Futaba PCM1024 can you possibly tell me anything about this model/type of receiver ?

As for the brakes Spentallmymoneyagain thankyou for your input, I will have to do a little more searching regarding this type master cylinder hopefully I can find some pictures for reference. I was wondering, Could I use any 4 way master cylinder so long as it works the callipers correctly or are they different in sizes when it comes to the hydraulic lines, I was thinking of looking out for a used 4 way master cylinder if the one that I already have is unsuitable when I try all 4 wheels.
    Last edited by Minilee; 28-01-2017 at 23:15.

The receiver that I have in the Marder Coalminer is a Futaba PCM1024 can you possibly tell me anything about this model/type of receiver ?

As for the brakes Spentallmymoneyagain thankyou for your input, I will have to do a little more searching regarding this type master cylinder hopefully I can find some pictures for reference. I was wondering, Could I use any 4 way master cylinder so long as it works the callipers correctly or are they different in sizes when it comes to the hydraulic lines, I was thinking of looking out for a used 4 way master cylinder if the one that I already have is unsuitable when I try all 4 wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Minilee View Post

yes mate research the master cylinder as much as you can, I know that magura make bicycle brakes as there main thing, and the rc brakes are hard to get any info on for some reason,
    but if it has two of the push on type fittings, then it will be meant for 4 brake setup,
    so it should have two of the fittings with the black plastic collars on and one bleed nipple,
    I did try a 4 wheel gtb brake setup years ago and tried to use one master cylinder but there wasn't enough fluid volume in the cylinder to work 4 calipers, I had to use two 2 master cylinders side by side,
    I think there are two different sized nylon type hoses used depending who makes the brake kits, and I know innovative rc sell the connector fittings , but double check thread sizes and what hose diameter they use mate,
    when all said and done its going to be research and a little trial and error, you will get it sussed out mate ,

Folk today generally use 2.4Ghz radio systems on cars. Did the person owning the car befor you own an aircraft too ?
    I think the pcm 1024 systems were more for us on planes and heli's .
    I think you would be as well to take it out and get a 2.4Ghz system with at least 3 channels ....two for steering & throttle servos and the third channel for a kill switch which is necessary to have.

It all depends on your future plans and what you want to do with the cars i.e. Switching lights and what not. But I think most on the forum tend to use simple and not too expensive Futaba, Spektrum or Flysky 2.4 gig systems with at least 3 channels. I've used a Futaba 3pl and have 4 receivers that can be run from it, however the receivers are not cheap at around 40 each. But it's a rock solid system and I've never had any bother with range and reliability .

I'm sure other members who use Spektrum of flysky systems may comment on what they use

Looking good pal have to give me a shout when your out im in Wolverhampton with a fg marder aswell. I know a few decent places

Quote Originally Posted by Mardeerkyle View Post
    Looking good pal have to give me a bathmate x20 shoutout when your out im in Wolverhampton with a fg marder aswell. I know a few decent places
    That's a nice one man.
    Last edited by Fritsche; 18-11-2017 at 09:37.

Welcome to the forum mate

Flywheel lightening service, manufacturer of ,baja cage risers,piston stops ,H/D spring perches for Standard shocks and IRC shocks ,rear cuffs ,spiked wheel nuts for the baja and losi 5ive ,general machining offered for all your baja needs pm for details

http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/forumdis...Fruitbat-Parts

Now on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1594860060733732/

Welcome here mate,among the loonatics