Thread: Kraken vekta5

Thumbs up Kraken vekta5

Hi,I am thinking of getting a kraken vekta5 as anyone got one. If so let me no what you think of them,thanks barry::
    go play in the dirt.

They're a nice truck, but the standard roller at a touch over 1400 quid is some serious coin. Which is a lot of cash to part with for a truck that isn't, or won't be that well supported here in respect of spares, parts, upgrades etc.

The upgrade tree is quite extensive for the Vekta5, so you're not getting the full ride for your £1440 out of the crate...which is a bit harsh I think. For that sort investment you shouldn't be looking to upgrade anything for a good while and using your funds for a really strong engine, instead of upgrading the thing, to make it what it should be to start with

I looked at the Vekta5 myself to be fair, but for the reasons above and also having done a bit more digging, I was left with the feeling that it's end user is solely aimed at/intended for the US and Canada. A shame, but who wants a 50lb paperweight sitting on the bench because you can't get parts to run it, after breaking something.

The cost of parts or indeed anything for the Vekta5, will be consistently high due to the fact any owner in the UK will either have to import direct from the US, or the UK distributor will be winding the cost up to cover their costs for ordering on a small batch scale. And in all likelihood won't ever have what you need and will only order "as and when", because there won't be a large enough UK customer base to justify having a full list of spares on tap and ready to post out.

I got my kraken vecta5 two weeks a go.I got the one with the engine already fitted as regards to breaking things the build quality and size of it is superb so do not think I will need many spares barry
    go play in the dirt.

Well good luck with it and might be an idea to start a thread in this section as you go along with it, for other possible UK buyers looking for info/feedback before committing to one.

Was it an import by the way? Seeing as it had the engine pre-installed.

yes it was from ddm motors in the usa very good service and yes I got the one with the engine already in the car it also came with a free dom tuned pipe. I do no if there are many in the uk as there are no dealers yetbarry
    go play in the dirt.

I think mmr large scale sell them.

they were always out off stock at mmr waste of time got mine from the usa, it only took one week to sendbarry
    go play in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by barry morse View Post
    yes it was from ddm motors in the usa very good service and yes I got the one with the engine already in the car it also came with a free dom tuned pipe. I do no if there are many in the uk as there are no dealers yetbarry
    I figured it probably was, although I can imagine the import and shipping fees kinda stung a bit Yes DDM are pretty cool, I've ordered from them and certainly not disappointed so far. MMR largescale were reportedly showing as the UK distributor, but the feedback hasn't been that glowing by all accounts

But do get a thread going on your Vekta, if you get the time/can be arsed I'd like to see how you get on with it over the next however long

(late posting to here, as my thread subscription doodah had turned itself off )
    Last edited by CT#67; 09-03-2017 at 23:52.

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Out of interest, what did you end up paying in total, with shipping and import taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    Out of interest, what did you end up paying in total, with shipping and import taxes?
    Probably a considerable amount mate and most likely why he's not answered your question ...it usually breaks down like this...

The amount of the item to buy, the insured shipping amount (which is usually the same as the buying price) and the shipping fee is totaled in $value. An import fee is also thrown into the equation because everything and anything shipped around the globe has a specific code, this is usually quite a random amount to factor in and you need to use an imports & duties calculator for an accurate total.

This is all then converted to £value and not always at the best exchange rate (seeing as it's the greedy *******s at UK C&E that do the equation) that total is then hit for our lovely current VAT of 20%.

The shipping company also usually add on a handling fee this side of the pond, which can be anywhere between 2-7% depending on service used and what company...UPS, FEDeX, USPS etc and parcel weight & size and also contents.

In most cases with anything over a 100 quid, it starts to get ridiculously expensive for the smallest of items and the limits for avoiding fees is also very narrow, for personal and businesses alike.

A couple of years ago a mate of mine wanted to import a new downhill MB from So-Cal, off of this dude he'd met whilst in Whistler a few months earlier. After looking into it and the cost involved and seeing how much he was going to get fisted by the UK C&E duties, he bought a plane ticket, flew to CaliF on a one night stop over, met the guy at a local trail park and collected the bike and then flew home and saved himself about 1200 quid.

Aye I know how the import game works, but I couldn't be bothered to work it out I've imported loads but it's not worth it for most things nowadays since the exchange rate changed

Sorry not been on here for a while ,I wanted a kraken vekta5 so I gave myself a budget the car and import taxes came in on budget so I was a happy barry
    go play in the dirt.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Sorry not been on here for a while ,I wanted a kraken vekta5 so I gave myself a budget the car and import taxes came in on budget so I was a happy barry
    any decent pics of the kraken yet mate ?
    i'm interested on your views of build quality and how the thing handles etc etc ,

I wasn't slating you or anything, I was merely curious, how the imported price for something so big, compares to the UK prices we've been given, it's okay working it out based on % and such, but as I've learned to my cost and also gain in some cases, they aren't always 100% accurate.
    Not to worry.

it cost me about £290 to get it through customs so I at to pay up keep taxman happy as always you get screwed in this country, as for the build quality is just superb not add time for a run out yet hopefully soon barry
    go play in the dirt.