Thread: Puffed up LiFe battery

Default Puffed up LiFe battery

I fired my shorty up the other day only to find that the engine cuts out on the Killer Super Bee when ever I turn the steering from side to side.
    I tested the voltage on the Vapextech LiFe battery cell 1 = 3.26v & cell 2= 3.28v which I should think is ok. I only charged it up a couple of weeks ago and it's not been in use since.

I never take the battery out of the car but this time I decided to have a look at it. I was surprised to find it had puffed up on the outer pvc sheathing . I can't remember if it was like it when I fitted it but seem to think it wasn't .

I've put it onto a discharge cycle and I'm then going to recharge it and see what happens.

Is it normal for these batteries to swell a little or do you think I need a new one ?

SI every battery of this type iv ever had has puffed a wee bit now and then but they still work perfect mate. i wouldn't worry about it unless its not holding the charge ....
    TR.D.I.A.F.W .... SUPPORT LOCAL VENDORS ....

Thanks for the reassurance Gary. I stuck it on a discharge cycle and it took out 430mAh
    I charged it back up and it put back in 780 mAh and surprise, surprise its shrunk back to how it should be.

I didn't realise they did that !
    Going to put it on another full discharge >charge cycle and see what happens.

I just tried it on the car and the killer bee is fine now , so maybe it was getting flat after all. Strange though cos I only charged it a couple of weeks ago.
    Perhaps the cold weather lately has upset it a bit , as it's stored out in my garage. May have to bring it indoors for the remainder of the winter

id keep it indoors mate they dont seem to like the cold sometimes ....

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

now, i'm glad that between si and gary somethings been said about this, I have two vapex life batterys that are stored out in the workshop,
    when its been cold I've thought they looked a tad puffed up, but was convinced I was seeing things cos there almost new,
    both hold charge and work fine,
    so top banana , might just be a cold thing

Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    now, i'm glad that between si and gary somethings been said about this, I have two vapex life batterys that are stored out in the workshop,
    when its been cold I've thought they looked a tad puffed up, but was convinced I was seeing things cos there almost new,
    both hold charge and work fine,
    so top banana , might just be a cold thing
    Yeah I think there may be something in that Paul. I just bought it inside , discharged and recharged it and it went from being blown up to deflated and normal looking again. Very strange

they will be fine lads iv had these type of batteries for years and they give no bother when looked after right ....

Agree have a few puffed 2200mah turnigys been using them for over ayear as long as they hold a charge and are balanced should be fine buddy

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

Nah it's a gonner. Tried it again today in the car and it's affecting the Killer bee switch, although the servos still work good. I have the killer sw set to to lowest glitch setting too.

Ordered a new battery