Thread: OHOs Axial Yeti XL

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Default OHOs Axial Yeti XL

I thought I'd already made a thread for this, but apparently not, not sure if anyones interested, but I enjoy my 1/10 Yeti so much, I decided to get a kit version of the XL!
    I have added a Leopard 2000kv motor, HobbyWing QuicRun 150a, and an Ace DS 1015 servo (for now)
    Had a good play with it and I'm really happy with how it's performed so far!
    I will rebuild the shocks at some point, I want them to be a bit more bouncy.
    I'd also really like a new clear body shell, but I can't find one that isn't an extortionate price, at least for a few flimsy pieces of lexan, so that'll have to wait/not happen.
    Anyway, I will let the pictures below do the talking, I do have some footage to come as well... Enjoy.

Very nearly wiped my Dad out! (this isn't zoomed in lol)

Dooing 8/9ft backflips off a tree, landed perfectly about 10 times the previous run... First jump this run was perfect, at least 9ft in height, perfect flip, right on the wheels... Had a bit of an audience, someone said do it again, I fluffed it up and killed my driver and snapped a shock cap.

Thankfully Axial provide some spares shocks rebuilt, using some Baja rear 'helper' springs to add some bounce to the front.
    I'll have to try and find some more helper springs for the rear.

Well, I can confirm (pre-run at least) the no offset Trenchers are fine.
    No fouling at all, on full lock, even more than what the servo can put the steering angle to, but I wanted to test it fully, theirs no fouling, the suspension up and fully compressed right down.
    Size wise, slightly wider, slightly shorter, I can't see it having a huge affect on performance (being shorter) but they should hopefully grip really well, based on a quick feel test.
    I just thought I would post my first hand findings, since AJ read they can't be used, I'm not sure who said it or why they thought that, but these fit perfectly fine, I imagine on very hard landing, with plastic flex, they might catch, BUT the stock ones do anyway (ripped both my screws out of the wheels wells) so that's nothing new.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

bit confuse cos cant see a clear pic of the xl rims dan ,
    so are the trenchers hpi fitment ? ie; beadloc, or are they a glue on version ? I know theres a few different fitments for the trencher style tyre from what I've seen,
    great that they fit though

Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    bit confuse cos cant see a clear pic of the xl rims dan ,
    so are the trenchers hpi fitment ? ie; beadloc, or are they a glue on version ? I know theres a few different fitments for the trencher style tyre from what I've seen,
    great that they fit though
    They are glued on, but they are pre-glued.
    I hate glueing tyres... I definitely wasn't paying 300+ for 3.8 metal beadlocks and tyres, I've no idea why they are so much more expensive than a 2.2" set, they're made in the same CNC machine with a tiny bit more material lol.
    The stock rims are crap, I have run it twice now properly and each time I've rounded out a hex lol, so decided to go with these ProLines, as people are running them in Savages on 6s and don't round them out, so fingers crossed I won't either.

Well, I got my UberRC shock socks on, they look grand! Not sure why I went red, all my Axial vehicles are usually blue, but I feel like going red with this one.
    Also started making some panels for it, the clear lexan body panels seem so hard to find (at least for us in the UK) so I decided to make my own, very luckily I actually found a brand new fresh pack of 10 sheets, ordered sometime last year, forgotten about and found, which is always a nice bonus!
    I may put a template up for both sets of panels, but I want to get them closer to finished first and see how they turn out.
    They are surprisingly different, so I have a pair for outer and a pair for inner.

Always have a nice sharp blade at the ready!

To attach the rear part (no hole in the cage) I just drilled one and used a nut and bolt, may actually use this method for them all, I kinda like the raw exposed look of the bolts.

Trace and repeat!

Then came the inners, quite different in design actually, lots of little bits to cut out to avoid cage bars and such.

That's where I am up to so far with it, what do you guys think?

Well, here's an update on the finished panel set, it's all finished now, aside from some stickers.
    Very happy with how it came out, people are calling my trucks the 'Mad Max twins' now lol!
    Anyway, here's some pictures of the finished things and then a few from a bash we had yesterday.
    The panels held up well on my 1/10 Yeti and the XL, no complaints at all.
    Even the small name/number board stayed in, and I had some very hard impacts too, so hard in front, my bumper tucked under the cage, which I didn't think possible!
    Also somehow managed a near 90 minute run on one pair of 6000mAh Graphene 2s packs, not quite sure how, because as you'll see, I wasn't taking it easy or going slowly lol.
    @QRC*- just so you can see the finished set.

Bonnet panel.

I decided to add a small panel on the rear too, I think it gives a slightly cleaner look and I like the 'sharp' edges of it too, although these could also be rounded if needs be.

Original roof panel wrapped, decided to do this instead of making my own as it's nicer than the flat design I came up with, side panels also installed.

I also then had the idea to add a little something more, I never liked the weird flat fake fuel cap, so cut that off to add a name/number board instead.

Used my fingers and a drill bit to make the smallest hole I could (1.5mm) in the lexan, it reduces the chances of melting it as well as giving you a more precise placement.

Got some tiny 2mm scale bolts (made the holes 2mm in the end) and they hold into the plastic really well.

I think it looks way better!

I also added another to the bottom left part of the panel, it doesn't go into anything, but it gives it a more complete look.

And it held up very well to some abuse.

Hydroplane right along the top of the water anyone?*

Something isn't quite right here?!

I'm guessing this is the impact that pushed my bumper behind my cage.

Poserrr!