Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Whats happening with the "Yellow" members

  1. #1
    Baja-Forum Maniac
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,386

    Default Whats happening with the "Yellow" members

    Last week I had a subscription reminder for the forum.
    Have gone to renew this evening but then noticed that many have not paid the fee that contributes to this forums upkeep which they used to do ?

  2. #2
    Baja-Forum Maniac BajaDre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bristol UK
    Posts
    4,927

    Default

    I don't think the resub things working chris


    Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

  3. #3
    Baja-Forum Maniac arron421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    Hate to say it but the forum needs a lot of work and don't look like it's getting it.
    ALX 71 Gold Editon
    BRP Super Spike, Extended IRP Hubs
    ROK Symsteer, 26/48 Gearing, ALX Drive Train

  4. #4
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arron421 View Post
    Hate to say it but the forum needs a lot of work and don't look like it's getting it.
    to be honest arron mate, the forum needs the paid subscribers to subsidise the improvements needed,
    but terry suspended the subs cos the forums not up to par, from what I remember the forum was cut back to basic operations when it went wrong last year mate,
    so bit of an odd situation really, needs subs to improve but wont take subs cos terry don't feel right about takin em ,
    at least that's how I take it arron, I bet I get corrected now

  5. #5
    Baja-Forum Maniac coalminer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mansfield ,Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    to be honest arron mate, the forum needs the paid subscribers to subsidise the improvements needed,
    but terry suspended the subs cos the forums not up to par, from what I remember the forum was cut back to basic operations when it went wrong last year mate,
    so bit of an odd situation really, needs subs to improve but wont take subs cos terry don't feel right about takin em ,
    at least that's how I take it arron, I bet I get corrected now
    I think your dead right Paul about Hikks not wishing to take contributions from folk on the forum in case things go pear shaped with the forum.
    But I still reckon he should give the option for if people do wish to give to it. It's still the best Baja forum there is. Yeah ...there has been the odd hiccup with the site a couple of times recently, but Terry soon gets it fixed up again .

    The contribution fee was only 7 quid a year which is nowt. I don't know how much would be needed to upgrade the site. Maybe the subs he gets in wouldn't cover it and that's why he's not asking. But I myself and I know others are willing to contribute still. Personally I would like to see it back on where if people do wish to give a contribution then still make it a 7 quid minimum donation or donate more if they wish.
    As I've said times many , I would be gutted if the site was lost for ever due to funding and I know pretty much most of you would feel the same.
    We need to keep it alive Terry....let us help you do that mate.

  6. #6
    Baja-Forum Maniac BajaDre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bristol UK
    Posts
    4,927

    Default

    Amen to that si


    Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

  7. #7
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    I think your dead right Paul about Hikks not wishing to take contributions from folk on the forum in case things go pear shaped with the forum.
    But I still reckon he should give the option for if people do wish to give to it. It's still the best Baja forum there is. Yeah ...there has been the odd hiccup with the site a couple of times recently, but Terry soon gets it fixed up again .

    The contribution fee was only 7 quid a year which is nowt. I don't know how much would be needed to upgrade the site. Maybe the subs he gets in wouldn't cover it and that's why he's not asking. But I myself and I know others are willing to contribute still. Personally I would like to see it back on where if people do wish to give a contribution then still make it a 7 quid minimum donation or donate more if they wish.
    As I've said times many , I would be gutted if the site was lost for ever due to funding and I know pretty much most of you would feel the same.
    We need to keep it alive Terry....let us help you do that mate.
    i agree wi you 100% si,
    I would hate to see this forum go mate,
    and I know a fair few people that want to pay there subs , me included,
    and even if it was raised to a tenner then its still not a lot per year, or even 15 quid, I know some of us are willing to pay more

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    cheltenham,glos
    Posts
    355

    Default

    :Is it because a lot of members are on Facebook and Twitter now a days
    go play in the dirt.

  9. #9
    Baja-Forum Maniac coalminer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mansfield ,Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barry morse View Post
    :Is it because a lot of members are on Facebook and Twitter now a days
    I think it's a number of things Barry, Facebook and Twitter does have a part of it.This forums been around for quite a while now and the Facebook groups are a new fad. People think grass is greener there but these groups die out fast ,very fast from what I have seen. They are nothing like a forum at all, there is no organisation of the data on them, what's posted today is gone and is history tomorrow. This forum is one huge Baja encyclopaedia . Drop something in the search bar and a wealth of information is there to be had.
    When you look on the home page of this forum to see how many non members/guests visit this forum in the last 24 hours , it's a lot.....over 700 user today !, 666 of them were guests.
    I think many just use this site and search for info because it's allready there. They don't need to join and post up a question because it's here for them to view without having to sign in to be a member and that's a good thing, but would be even better for them to join us as a member.
    I know Terry is very proud of his site and what has been created for anyone in the world to just drop in and get that info they need.
    I've said before and I just know that eventually everyone on those FB groups will tire of them as fast as they joined them and come back here for the banter and great advice without any prejudice .

    So come on all you old Forum members....let's be having you back again....there's nothing on FB for you like this.
    I have noticed lately there does seem to be one or two old faces coming back again....that's great to see. Keep it up
    Last edited by coalminer; 09-03-2017 at 00:56.

  10. #10
    Junior Member CT#67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    North Essex
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barry morse View Post
    :Is it because a lot of members are on Facebook and Twitter now a days
    Phhhtt!! social bloody media...all those people poking each other and tweeting like demented canaries I can't be doing with it I tell ya

    It's a shame when decent forums get stalled or have to shut down because of lack of funds...I think a lot of people still assume that forums just run themselves and are completely free to set up, yet still enjoy the benefit from all the information freely available.

    Existing members status as is.

    New members...

    Fiver a year gets you posting rights and no pic uploads, no access to the classifieds (remove the 50 post count thingy)

    Tenner a year limited pic uploads, 10 post count before classifieds access (but no thread spamming to raise count)

    15 quid or over gets you full access.

    Put a visible forum 'cost per month' fund meter on the home page, this can encourage new viewers and existing members to ante up, especially if they've come to rely on all the good stuff and information the forum contains.

    Just my 2p's worth

    And yep I'm quite happy to fund in
    Last edited by CT#67; 09-03-2017 at 01:18.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Borlänge, Sweden
    Posts
    46

    Default

    I would gladly pay the contribution fee again if it was possible. I don't post much on here but have had great use of the information available on here.

    in my opinion Facebook doesn't cut it as a forum replacement. You can't search, no categories, basically no order at all so posts disappear in the constant flow and questions get repeated over and over.
    /Johan

  12. #12
    Baja-Forum Maniac arron421's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    It needs someone that has time to put into the forum.

    The paid subscription is just a little something to pay for server costs/ domain renewals so on.
    Thing is this forum has just been left. Not updated no maintenance.
    And the fact that it's only just about functioning its putting people off even coming and checking the site.

    Don't even work on Tapatalk
    ALX 71 Gold Editon
    BRP Super Spike, Extended IRP Hubs
    ROK Symsteer, 26/48 Gearing, ALX Drive Train

  13. #13
    Baja-Forum Maniac
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    I agree with most of what's been said here.
    I cut my teeth on 5th scale on this forum, as I'm sure a lot of us have and although I don't currently run anything I still like to drop in time from time to see what's happening and
    catch up.
    I fully respect and understand Hiks not taking contributions at the moment because he believes the site is not up to the standard it once was. I remember the forum having sponsors that helped with the up keep, but from memory I think that a lot of people gave these sponsors nothing but grief because of their lack of knowledge of 5th scale petrol cars and how they work and how fast they are and that things break. Me personally came from 8th scale lipo kids toys and I still very clearly remember my 1st time giving the full beans on a 2 stroke Baja !
    I'd happily give more then the £7.50 to Terry to keep this forum up and running or otherwise we will end up on MSUK.
    As ever gentleman, just my opinion.Thanks
    Chris.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    15

    Default

    As a newbie, I'd happily pay a subscription to get full access to the classifieds etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •