Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OHOs CPE Barbarian mud truck!

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Default OHOs CPE Barbarian mud truck!

Having been a long term fan of watching 1:1 mud trucks, and the recent increase in RC mud trucks and MTs, I figured now was the time to do the build I've been on and off about doing for several years.
    Unfortunately, as CPE no longer offer the alloy chassis and I don't really want a carbon one, especially at the price it'd be to import to the UK, I kept scanning around and fell on this little gem on eBay, considering there is one very similar spec on eBay at the moment at nearly 500, I feel I needed to snap this up!
    I plan to tear the whole thing down and build it how I want it, as if I'd simply bought the chassis and parts separately, so this won't be getting run tomorrow
    My 'plans' right now are varied and I'm unsure which route I will go yet, time will tell.
    For now, I hope you enjoy following along, I have already spoken to some YouTubers about using some of their videos audio, so expect some videos of this with 1:1 sound sometime in the future!

Suddenly my 6T axle stands, look a tiny bit small?

Good job I have some back up!

Took delivery of some '52in' tyres (5.2 )*

And some '60in'! (6.0 )

And a quick comparison, between my 1.9 Rok Lox, 2.2 (can't remember what these are copies of, possibly Irok or Swampers or something) and the 60" Mud Bashers at the back!

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

be interesting to see which way you go with this one dan ,
    what I mean is higher or lower and what type of body etc,
    would look good with an olive drab body and black rims ,

Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    be interesting to see which way you go with this one dan ,
    what I mean is higher or lower and what type of body etc,
    would look good with an olive drab body and black rims ,
    Body will be high up no doubt, so you can see the chassis, like the real ones.
    I have a couple of ideas floating round for hiding the electrics and stuff though so it doesn't look quite so much like a toy.
    I have been doing some looking around and the 2017 Ford F150 Raptor looks good!
    But I do prefer my old classics, so I might just keep the current body for now, the plan was to increase the wheelbase, but that would definitely require a new body.

I've got rid of the crap plastic hexes and added some +2mm ones, really nice quality actually for a non brand item and they fit nice and tight too, so I've ordered two more sets, one for the Yeti and one just for spares.
    Curiosity also got the better of me, so I put (mainly for a joke with Andy) my spare 1.9 SSD rims with Rok Lox and I actually really like the look.
    I know it's not the usual set up for a mudder, but I at least now know I like the huge arch gap and thin tyre look, so I might do some digging round for some taller 1.9s and stick with this look, I think it suits the old style body too, also removed the striping from the body as it was peeling off anyway.
    Unsure what to do yet, feel free to post some opinions

Nothing major happening but I've put some Unis in the front axle.
    Ordered on the 27th, they landed today!
    Been running these in my SCX10 for ages, lasted very well to 3s abuse, so decided to order more.
    Silly fast shipping considering it's free.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1223904882...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Got the wheelbase a bit longer by moving the links positions, also got the new shocks on, Losi comp crawler shocks, much nicer looking, smoother and longer than what was installed, prefer these already without having even driven the truck.
    Super happy with the stance and the overall look now, even with small 1.9s!

Old shock vs new*travel.

New stance, looking perfect for what I wanted, I really like the stretched small wheel, ridiculously high body look, so this is what I wanted!
    I have the rear set a little bit softer on the preload, should help minimise wheelies and give the back end some squat under acceleration, like the 1:1 rigs!

Looks wicked with those wheels on dan reminds me of those monster truck specials @ xmas years ago when they do the mud bog racing

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

Quote Originally Posted by BajaDre View Post
    Looks wicked with those wheels on dan reminds me of those monster truck specials @ xmas years ago when they do the mud bog racing
    That's basically exactly what it's for mate... I do have the big tyres as well but they're going to be harder on electrics, they're glued on tyres which I hate with a passion and I don't like the yellow either lol.
    This is more of a formula mud truck style, which is exactly what I was aiming for

I was bored so I thought I'd finally get some electrics in this, just to give it a little run and see how it actually goes.
    Running it brushed, on a motor I'm not sure what turns it was, it was actually so much fun, even just bouncing up the little edging outside my house.
    Where have proper MTs been all my life, I believe everyone should have one of these.
    I have already got a new motor on order, and I may go with a slightly taller tyre, or maybe even give in and switch to 2.2, but I'm still undecided on that.
    I feel I need to take it out properly, in some mud and see how it copes, then make my wheel and tyre decision from there.
    Here's a small test clip, it's really nothing major, just a few slowmo test shots, I wanted to see how it behaved.
    Looking back, I think I may put the sway bars on to see how that changes things, it actually handles quite nicely, didn't tip over once, apart from the wheelie mistake lol.
    I expected it to fall over as soon as the servo was moving, but nope, not once, which was a nice surprise, looking forward to giving it a proper run anyway
    More to come!

Quality dan cant wait to see her covered now haha

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

looks great dan ,
    and the slightly longer wheelbase looks right as well,
    I still say taller tyres , but that my view , its your truck so build as you want to mate ,
    I bet if you just fitted the rear anti roll bar then that would take most of the twist out on acceleration,
    I think i'm going to have the same issue with the dragon hammer when its done

I'm kinda used to the twist to be honest, my Yeti does the same because it's lock rear diff and live front, same set up, but this being taller, just made it worse lol!

Since it's been asked for, I put them on, I actually now dig them a bit!
    Eurghh lol, I'm charging up a 3s pack as I type this, I'm going to mount these big tyres on some spare 2.2s I have and go to play in some water and mud, hopefully.
    I will take my other wheels and tyres too for comparison and start off small, venturing bigger after a few minutes with each.
    May take some picture comparison shots, but may not.

Looks good with them rim n tyres dan cant wait to see it like this plenty of slo mo on the mud splashing mind

scots-in-mud.jpg

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

Quote Originally Posted by BajaDre View Post
    Looks good with them rim n tyres dan cant wait to see it like this plenty of slo mo on the mud splashing mind

scots-in-mud.jpg
    This do?

There is more to come, with some footage!
    MUCH prefer the black wheels as well (not just dirty, they are actually black )

Yes mate that looks fun

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

It was actually, I got a bit ****ed off at getting weeds wrapped round everything lol, but I'm looking forward to playing in a proper mud pit, with no weeds!

Yeah the mud footage should be stunning dan forgot to ask what electrics you running in there bud?

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

At the moment it's just a HobbyWing 1060 brushed ESC and some random Tamiya tuned can I had laying around.
    I have ordered a 35t HoolRC motor, same as in my SCX10, that thing pulls like a train up anything, so I'm banking on it been better than this Tamiya one, if it's not, I will have to consider the brushless route.
    Running on 3s as well, with a Savox 0230.

Nice dan

whats the word on those HoolRC? it that the cheap brushless brand too,my mates looking at one on ebay for his Anderson bike he asked me but id never heard of the brand told him it could be a hobbywing rebrand or something? are they worth the money dan?

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

My bad, typo, meant GoolRC lol... And is he wanting brushed or brushless?
    I've had word, from a very well respected motor builder/tuner, that they're the same as the high end motors (apart from Holmes, as John makes his own)
    So my understanding is, they're the same, having run one, they are punching well above there weight, I paid 9quid each for mine, they run better than the 55 Tekin I used to run... Pulls for England and doesn't get hot even on 3s.
    I've not personally used the brushless ones, but based on my testing with the brushed stuff and knowing a lot of folk running the brushless systems, I wouldn't have any problem in buying a brushless combo either personally.
    My favourite are HobbyWing, just because I've used at least 20 combos over the years, brushed and brushless and never had a single one falter, at all, I've had pretty poor luck with Castle (shocking LOL) given I'm now in my 6th week of waiting for my faulty stuff replaced by CML and Axial.
    I'd tell him to go for it, as long as he gets the right amps and kv for the application

Cheers for the info dan much appreciated

think he said he was ordering the 3400kv its to go in his Anderson 1/5th rc bike its a bit tame on brushed so hes gonna try a bl system and didn't want to go castle etc

Believe what you will
    That is your right
    But I choose to win
    So I choose to fight..

3500 sounds about perfect, I assume that will be on 2s?
    I wouldn't go Castle anymore either, had bad luck with there systems.
    I would only go HobbyWing now, as far as a 'name' brand goes.
    I fancy one of those Gool systems for my Bad Bug I've bought, but I don't know if they do 'em small enough, it's still in the box needing to be built, along with a couple of Tamiyas lol, so will have to research it at some point