Thread: Baja overhaul starting probs

Default Baja overhaul starting probs

Hi just looking for some help I'm an amateur at best and even rustier after my baja being in the cupboard for a few years

I have just overhauled it rebuilding the trans and basically the the whole car while installing a pro mx340 Scott Finlay

I tried to start it today for the 1st time and pops on every pull I played with the idle screw to the point where it was turned in all the way and idled for about a second or 2 instead of just a pop crackle

Anyone have any ideal where to start with solving this

Thsnks

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baja gtx30 View Post
    Hi just looking for some help I'm an amateur at best and even rustier after my baja being in the cupboard for a few years

I have just overhauled it rebuilding the trans and basically the the whole car while installing a pro mx340 Scott Finlay

I tried to start it today for the 1st time and pops on every pull I played with the idle screw to the point where it was turned in all the way and idled for about a second or 2 instead of just a pop crackle

Anyone have any ideal where to start with solving this

Thsnks
    start with the basics mate
    check the fuel lines are on the carb the right way round first,
    feed line with the clunk on it to the bottom of carb and return pipe to the top of the carb ,
    and if you didn't put new fuel lines on , also check that the clunk is still on the feed line inside the tank, and that the lines haven't collapsed or got any splits in em as well,

Fuel lines look good mate I fitted a new tank and lines and they appear to be the correct way around

Played around with the lines leaned it just a pinch on the L cleaned the fuel cap and I had it idling for 5 minutes

But took it out seemed to take a lot of revs to get it going but putting that down to not using it for awhile and having 8000 red clutch spring seemed to be ok rolling along then gave it a quick squeeze of the throttle and it cut out and now won't start or would barely pop when try to start it now

Any ideals?

Cheers

Is the motor new?
    Check spark
    Check plug condition
    Coil gap

Check kill switch.. and batteries..