Thread: Engine rebuild

Default Engine rebuild

Just wondering

Do u lads use any gasket sealant for the gaskets. i put a thin film on both sides of the gaskets...i use acetone to pre clean parts before assembly

Put a donk together after having a go at my 1st case matching and basic polishing job..I made sure i didnt take too much off and dremelled the copper gasket prior to install for clear air flow.... and it ran for a while like a cut snake after break in.....then the biatch wouldnt hold a tune..... needed to sit on about 3600 to 400 rpm to not stall......So...After you stick the crank case seals in to the case, do u put a thin film of oil on the crankshaft as u put the cases together, as i have a sneaky suspicion ive got a leak there.

I know its not the carb is is fine, its brand new 990 bearing mod carb now sitting in a new engine, so issue is def with the engine...any advice...thanks

using sealer on paper gaskets is not needed can be used if thin layer, copper gaskets I could never seem to get a proper seal even with sealant. Would all ways seem to have damp dust in one place or another around the head.
    CNC milled carbon fibre parts consist of a 126g chassis plate almost 100g saving from stock, Front 5b shock supports 5t/sc shock supports, rear shock support 4mm brake pads,3mm Brake pads, OBR, TS, Bart BZM and SCZ carbon reed petals, any 5B windows.
    4mm Hinge pin brace, both left and right engine brace and tank brace all 4mm carbon, rear shock tower.

Any custom engraving offered on any of the parts above

ok cheers for that...ill strip the spare motor down, drop ina new crank and have a go at balancing it with a dial indicator then put it back together without goo

any of u lads machine 3mm of the intake side of the piston, is it worth it...power gains ????

would like some infor from those that have done,....i know bits n peices about the hobby and just slowly over time trying to fill in the gaps...thanks

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

i know this link is for boat based engines, but principles should be the same mate,
    this links been floating around for a while and i'm gonna have a go myself with a 26cc engine when I get round to it ,
    but its worth a look , if you can afford to try it on an engine and you don't mind junking it if it goes wrong then might be worth a try for yourself ,

http://www.modelgasboats.com/magazin...ngine-porting/

Nice link, cheers for that

Quote Originally Posted by Baja5b-SS View Post
    using sealer on paper gaskets is not needed can be used if thin layer, copper gaskets I could never seem to get a proper seal even with sealant. Would all ways seem to have damp dust in one place or another around the head.
    Do you anneal the copper before installing the gaskets?

Anrealing well I can't say as I did, running the engine will make that process pretty pointless.

They didn't leak as **** poor but made the dust damp switched to DDM HD graffite gaskets and found these the better option.
    CNC milled carbon fibre parts consist of a 126g chassis plate almost 100g saving from stock, Front 5b shock supports 5t/sc shock supports, rear shock support 4mm brake pads,3mm Brake pads, OBR, TS, Bart BZM and SCZ carbon reed petals, any 5B windows.
    4mm Hinge pin brace, both left and right engine brace and tank brace all 4mm carbon, rear shock tower.

Any custom engraving offered on any of the parts above