Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: futaba 4pls question,

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Default futaba 4pls question,

right, am posting this now hoping theres a few answers when i'm back on in a bit ,
    something I've noticed with the 4pls I have on the hammer, is sometimes , just every so often the throttle servo will stick and buzz, then sort of reset itself,
    did the same when john had the hammer as well, he was on a 4pls but a different one,
    always does it when throttle released and servo goes back to neutral position,
    seems to freak out for a few seconds then sorts itself,
    does it more if you let go of the tx trigger and you sort of flick back to neutral position,
    it has done it once or twice on the steering servo as well , but nowhere near as much,
    servo's are both savox digital high voltage,
    throttle is a SW-0240 mg
    steering is SW-0241 mg,
    just wondered if anyone has any ideas,
    or maybe I missed a stage when setting up the radio gear,
    any answers appreciated,
    thanks lads ,

I don't think it's tx related paul because my savox does the same (steering) 3pl although could be futaba related.

If I turn the steering via TX rapid the Servo just freezes for a split second again same as you if I let go of the steering from full lock it freezes out more, never done it while loads on though.

Sounds more like a savox thing now because I use the sw240 but it didn't do it with the sw235
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

I'd say its a savox thing too as mine used to do it on my Losi with the 4pk...i think i solved it by wiring the servos up to direct power rather than through the rx..
    Also only really vibrated when i used it just after a full charge on the Lipo, once used the car for a bit the power must have dropped enough for it to stop happening..

:gunsmile:IT'S BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TOO FADE AWAY !!!! !:gunsmile:

thanks dean and jacko ,

yeh i'm leaning towards a savox issue,
    next question is, how do you wire servo direct ?
    tried researching it but seems to be a secret on the internet ,
    also I will try and do a short vid of what its doing and post on this thread,
    might give a bit more info that way ,when I was out at the weekend for a test run it was up the other end of the field and throttle servo stuck in neutral position,
    it was stuck for a good few seconds and I applied brake and it reset itself and was fine again,
    its one of those things that's bugging the hell out of me ,
    also its the first time I've used li-po and hv servo's , so I'm not sure what toi expect with glitches and stuff,

right, short vid of the issue I is having ,
    its annoying , steering servo does the same thing but not quite as often,
    hope someone has a cure for this as well

right then, looked up the wiring the servos wiring direct to the battery thingy (thanks to JA5ON for tellin me about the killer rc vid for doing that ),
    but no difference,
    tried setting the tx to high resolution, that didn't work either ,
    tried various settings on the tx, none of that worked ,
    also pulled the battery tray out and disconnected things one by one to see if it was interference, nope, it wernt that either ,
    took everything out of the tray and spread it out just in case something was too close to sommat else, you can probably guess the outcome of that as well ,finally I got somewhere, and it involved a 1.5mm allen key,
    I adjusted the trigger and wheel spring tension half a turn from full tension, (4pls is set at minimum tension from factory),
    and it still does it, but nowhere near as much as it did do,
    so all I can think is its trigger and wheel bounce if you let them flick back to neutral position , tighter spring equals less bounce,
    trigger and wheel are fine if you go full left to right or full throttle to brake it don't do it,
    so must be a quirk of the digital savox big servos ,
    hope this thread helps anyone else havin the above issues, you cant get rid of the problem, but you can make it a hell of a lot better ,

Does it still flicker with a stock battery in, have you gone the direct route yet, if not give it a go as mine was better doing it for sure..

Thing is the car can travel a fair distance when it doesn't neutralise straightaway, trust me i know...

http://www.killerrc.com/product/5-wa...w-long-wiring/

also do a short wire..

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/rad...e-2-clone.html
    Last edited by jackobyte; 21-06-2017 at 01:04.

Quote Originally Posted by jackobyte View Post
    Does it still flicker with a stock battery in, have you gone the direct route yet, if not give it a go as mine was better doing it for sure..

Thing is the car can travel a fair distance when it doesn't neutralise straightaway, trust me i know...

http://www.killerrc.com/product/5-wa...w-long-wiring/

also do a short wire..

http://www.freeprawnracing.co.uk/rad...e-2-clone.html
    when you say stock battery jacko, do you mean a nimh battery ?
    and I did try a do the direct battery thing, but just with the throttle servo, it didn't seem to do a great deal though, possibly did it wrong
    but now you've posted that killer rc link, (I only saw the video for steering servos ) I will do the steering servo and then split the signal wire away on the throttle servo and do it that way ,
    I do have a splitter kicking around so its a no cost thing ,
    the servo always goes back to neutral straight away , then does the glitch thing,
    but defo gonna do the direct from battery thing now,
    thanks for the links as well ,

Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    when you say stock battery jacko, do you mean a nimh battery ?
    and I did try a do the direct battery thing, but just with the throttle servo, it didn't seem to do a great deal though, possibly did it wrong
    but now you've posted that killer rc link, (I only saw the video for steering servos ) I will do the steering servo and then split the signal wire away on the throttle servo and do it that way ,
    I do have a splitter kicking around so its a no cost thing ,
    the servo always goes back to neutral straight away , then does the glitch thing,
    but defo gonna do the direct from battery thing now,
    thanks for the links as well ,
    Just a thought on the battery as i think the savox servos struggle with lipos...took me a while before i got mine to stop glitching as i tried all sorts like you, the direct route worked on mine though..Only other thing i can suggest is to try different type of servo on your existing set up to see if they flicker..

Just a thought on the battery as i think the savox servos struggle with lipos...took me a while before i got mine to stop glitching as i tried all sorts like you, the direct route worked on mine though..Only other thing i can suggest is to try different type of servo on your existing set up to see if they flicker..
    thanks for that mate ,
    I will try an nimh and a life battery I have here and see if theres any difference with the twitch,
    then I will try the proper way of direct battery with the lipo and see where that leads as well,
    trial and error I suppose till I get it sommat like,
    you can probably see in that short vid above that I am using a savox stock sized orange bodied hv servo for the fan control switch,
    that one has no flicker at all, only the 0240/0241 large servos flicker or glitch,
    I will try a few more ways of wiring etc and see where it leads ,
    thanks for the advice as well cos the wiring side is my weaker point in rc , but want to learn,

Your abs isn't on on your tx is it.

Hey that's a valid point mate, I have a 3pl and a Savox sc1256 throttle servo. I just set the ABS to anything other than Off and it goes mad !

no mate, abs is off, don't like the abs function ,
    now a while ago I tried a life battery and there was less glitch,
    also tried an nimh battery and same again , less glitch,
    only issue with that is slower servo speeds and less torque,
    but, after I tried those batteries , I plugged the lipo back in and although most of the glitchiness is now gone, the steering servo went nuts,
    turned the rx off and back on and it was better,,
    swapped the switch out and tried again and was better still,
    I've not tried the direct battery way yet properaly though ,(other stuff got in the way that needed doing today ),
    but will try that and see what happens maybe tomorrow,
    if all else fails , I will end up just buying some hitec servos and just change those two out,
    but will try the direct servo wiring way first,
    oh, and its not the kill switch causing the issue either, does the same glitches whether that's plugged in or not

Is it only on the throttle that it rattles like that Paul or is it the steering too ?
    What if you swapped the channel plugs over on the receiver ....would the problem transfer to the steering servo ?

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    Is it only on the throttle that it rattles like that Paul or is it the steering too ?
    What if you swapped the channel plugs over on the receiver ....would the problem transfer to the steering servo ?
    it does it on both throttle and steering si, but less so on the steering mate,
    I don't think I've tried swapping the plugs round yet, might have done but I've tried so much I've forgotten ,
    it is mush better now I increased the spring tension on the tx, but the problems still there,
    now, the other savox servo that switches the fan on and off doesn't glitch at all, that's a coreless motor on that one I think,
    the 0240 and 0241 have brushed motors in em so i'm wondering if its sommat to do wi that,
    its most odd and most annoying cos up until now I've never had a problem with a savox servo

I've got a spare R2004GF receiver should you wish to try Paul if need be

Quote Originally Posted by coalminer View Post
    I've got a spare R2004GF receiver should you wish to try Paul if need be
    thanks for the offer si but already have a spare that came with the 4pls mate,
    I got 1 telemetry one and the other I believe is the same as yours, also have the baja and rail ones that will bind with the 4pls as well,
    I will try a different rx tomorrow though mate, it never occurred to me to check the rx

right, the latest in the savox saga ,
    tried 3 different rx's now and same result with each one, the two that came with the 4pls and the 3pls one from my baja,
    going to go try sommat else in a minute, cos just thought of sommat ,

right next update doodad to this ,
    so, I tried the direct to battery wiring, still did the same, no better at all, or at least not very noticeable improvement,
    also connected the fan control servo to the throttle then the steering channel, that's a savox sc-1267, and has no glitch at all,
    also connected the 0240 and 0241 to the 4th channel that runs the 1267 for fan control and the 0240 glitches but the 0241 doesn't,
    then went a different route and connected the 0240 and 0241 to my 3pl tx, and yep, they glitch, albeit slightly less,
    so my conclusion is, either I have two dodgy savox servos, or the 0240 and 0241 do not like the futaba radio's.
    both servo's were used but almost new and had only been used in the hammer when john owned it,
    there well out of warranty now though,
    so my next question is, what servos would you kind people recommend ?
    needs to be both large scale servo's though,
    and preferably water proof,
    I was thinking about the hitec d845-wp and the d840-wp,
    I know there a tad taller than the savox and would need 3mm spacers making up, but that aint a problem,
    thanks for all the replies by the way , all info and comments are appreciated greatly,
    oh, and one final thing, the 0240 and 0241 , they do seem to get a bit better as I tried different things, but then start to get worse again as I work the trigger and wheel,

done a bit of research into the servo's now, and it does seem as if there are possible glitch issues with some of the savox range of servos, not all of em mind,
    still need to test the 0240 and 0241 on an etronix radio set I have to see if the glitch is there with a non futaba radio ,
    but made my mind up now, I will order the 840 and 845 d series hitec ones this next week,