Thread: Engine temperature

Default Engine temperature

Hi all
    I have had a look on the forum but i cant see a definitive answer. I want to know what temperature is too hot for a g320 and 30.5 cy to run at and what would be a ok/good? I am going to be running the cars in a hot country so i am guessing i will get less race time due to needing to cool the engines. Normally its about 38 to 45 degrees air temp.. or am i over thinking things? But i think it would be good to know just from an engine safety view point as it only take a second to see if your running "to hot" what ever temp that is. To save the engine from damage..

Cheers all look forward to your input

That pretty hot air temp and will make the engine run hotter but plenty do run in these conditions without issues, the engine will let you no when it's to hot and it won't reach top revs. (Heat soaking)

My Zens ran in normally conditions no hotter than 180-190 Summer (27-29deg) max temps recorded was 234 and it slowed down at that temp.

The scz I used to have max temp recorded was 232 and just cut out at that temp, no damage because the cylinder was ceramic coated.

I now have an ALX and max temps been 259 no running issues at that temp and was only running in, head nikasil coated so no damage would occur away, but now it's ran in I'm seeing around 220 at 26 air temps.

Run 25/1 decent oil and keep the 34 on the richer side and you'd be fine, if it gets to hot let it cool down by idling.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja5b-SS View Post
    That pretty hot air temp and will make the engine run hotter but plenty do run in these conditions without issues, the engine will let you no when it's to hot and it won't reach top revs. (Heat soaking)

My Zens ran in normally conditions no hotter than 180-190 Summer (27-29deg) max temps recorded was 234 and it slowed down at that temp.

The scz I used to have max temp recorded was 232 and just cut out at that temp, no damage because the cylinder was ceramic coated.

I now have an ALX and max temps been 259 no running issues at that temp and was only running in, head nikasil coated so no damage would occur away, but now it's ran in I'm seeing around 220 at 26 air temps.

Run 25/1 decent oil and keep the 34 on the richer side and you'd be fine, if it gets to hot let it cool down by idling.

Game on m8 cheers for that very useful info.. i will keep a eye on them and try to keep them below 200 and i think they will be ok. If not like you said the engines will let me know if i am pushing them to much .. i said before i may just be over thinking things but i like to be safe than sorry

Nar not overthinking mate I liked my small bores cooler but as said once they hit heat soaking then the engine wil let you no.
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.

I have never got temps over 160c, but dont really care if engine runs nicely. Sparkplug color is more important, so that you dont run it lean.

The G320's do run hot. I've had mine that hot it has had that burning smell to it & I've been afraid it will set fire to the grass trapped in the engine but it still ran ok. I've had it at 160 since fitting a TTO temp gauge.
    Doing the mesh mod and the use of an outer wears pre filter on the pull start cover will help keep it running cooler. However I prefer to not let the engine run that hot if I can help it

I've had a g320 at 188c and while it survived it I wasn't comfortable with it at that temp.

Took my 320 out today and hit 176 deg C on the TTO, still ran fine and no trouble

Well as it turns out the engine lasted longer than I did.. lol i took the car for a spin and it did fine but i was the one getting heat issues 47 degrees and not much cooler in the shade.. so i just had to find a bar that served the nectar of life o and aircon
    Attached Images Attached Images