Thread: What you reckon to this OBR head?

Default ..

Information removed.
    Last edited by almighty15; 09-09-2017 at 00:08.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almighty15 View Post
    OBR 30.5 Reed case.....

I bought it used and it does run and a side from being low on compression compared to my OBR 29.5 Full Mod it other wise appears fine.

So I took the head off and this is what I found...

Attachment 24097

Attachment 24098

Attachment 24099

What do you all think?? The scores aren't the deepest I've ever felt in a bore and I was thinking that as the engine runs fine (With low compression) I might get away with it?

Cheers

Ant
    defo looks well used mate,
    the scores look fairly deep in the pics, but pics do lie sometimes ,
    but also looks as though something might have been bouncing around in there at some point, the little dents at top of the head look like sommats been doing the rounds,
    maybe its sucked dirt at some point in its life ?
    plug hole looks to have been helicoiled as well,,
    but if it was running fairly decent then just clean it up the best you can and fit a new ring, rings are cheap ,
    then run it, whats the worst that can happen ?
    you ruin the head totally and just rebuild with a fresh top end ,

What makes you say the plug has been heli coiled? That's the piston stopper sticking through it.

And how deep can you get away with before it's a throw in the bin job?

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almighty15 View Post
    What makes you say the plug has been heli coiled? That's the piston stopper sticking through it.

And how deep can you get away with before it's a throw in the bin job?
    lol mate, well if its a piston stopper sticking through, then that just shows that pics don't always give a true idea of whats going on ,
    in the pic I took it that there was nothing in the plug hole, and it looked like it had been helicoiled that's all,

as for how deep, well normal or minor surface scratches are fine, anything deeper and its up to the user, I just suggested fitting a new ring and cleaning up the piston etc and see what happens,
    if it was my own, I would probably junk it and get a fresh top end and freshen up the bottom end with new seals and bearings,
    but everyone has different ideas of whats useable and what isn't,
    some would do the same as myself and rebuild it with new parts, others would run it till it went pop and then rebuild it,
    if the piston runs up and down the bore without any tight spots , then you may get away with it for a while,
    if it snags anywhere then it may well be best to rebuild with a new top end ,

i agree with Paul ... there's no sense building it up and then waiting on it going pop .. those scores are deep enough to lose compression so why bother putting a new ring in and running it down on power ... i would throw the head in the bin ....
    TR.D.I.A.F.W .... SUPPORT LOCAL VENDORS ....

I'd get some JB paste the bore then sand the high spots off then fit a new ring, this will than make a perfecto sealed cylinder and get many more happy days running trouble free.

Failing the JB method looking at the state of that head it wants full rebuild top to bottom
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.