Thread: Tightening up my layshaft.

Baja-Forum Maniac Oh How Original's Avatar

Default Tightening up my layshaft.

Had a few issues with stripping spurs on the last few runs out, I've changed bearings, changed clutch carrier, changed the rubbers on the spur holder etc... I noticed the layshaft in my gearbox is a bit loose (a bit of wobble) so decided to rebuild it, all new bearings etc... But there is still some wobble, which I'm guessing is enough so that when everything is moving quickly, the mesh is going slightly off perfect and causing the strip.
    I don't land with power on etc... So it's not that kinda issue.
    I'm sure I've seen a few people mention a 3rd bearing mod for the gearbox to eliminate the slop, but can't find it again now, have I been dreaming or is there actually such a thing?
    I'm willing to give it a go, anything to mean I can run for more than 10 minutes before needing another spur, it's costing me a fortune
    So any suggestions welcome on how to tighten it up.
    Ohh and it was a new layshaft and a new gearbox housing too, so it's not just worn

The 2nd bearing mod was for the v1 Baja as it only had 1,the v2 has 2

My mistake, that must have been it, I remember now the original had some kind of plastic or rubber washer was it?
    Hmmm, back to the drawing board then, it's kinda difficult to see exactly where the play is, so I have ordered fresh bearings, got another new HPI layshaft, I'm currently trying to find a new gearbox case as well.
    Hopefully that will sort it, if I had hair, I'd be pulling it out

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
    My mistake, that must have been it, I remember now the original had some kind of plastic or rubber washer was it?
    Hmmm, back to the drawing board then, it's kinda difficult to see exactly where the play is, so I have ordered fresh bearings, got another new HPI layshaft, I'm currently trying to find a new gearbox case as well.
    Hopefully that will sort it, if I had hair, I'd be pulling it out
    dan mate, they all have a little bit of play , I take it you took the spur end/below the brake bearing off and wobbled the layshaft up and down ?
    best way to check for an issue is have the under brake bearing fitted , and then remove the spur, pull up and down on the shaft where the spur fits and then again just inboard of the brake its self, between the brake hex and tranny case,
    if you cant feel any clicks or play then all is well, if you feel movement then sommats amiss ,
    also all of mine have had a little in and out play as well, that's normal as well but can be shimmed if needed, its a ballache though

edit; if your stripping spurs, i'd check the engine plate first to see if its bent, bent plate causes issues dan ,
    Last edited by spentallmymoneyagain; 19-10-2017 at 17:46.

Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    dan mate, they all have a little bit of play , I take it you took the spur end/below the brake bearing off and wobbled the layshaft up and down ?
    best way to check for an issue is have the under brake bearing fitted , and then remove the spur, pull up and down on the shaft where the spur fits and then again just inboard of the brake its self, between the brake hex and tranny case,
    if you cant feel any clicks or play then all is well, if you feel movement then sommats amiss ,
    also all of mine have had a little in and out play as well, that's normal as well but can be shimmed if needed, its a ballache though

edit; if your stripping spurs, i'd check the engine plate first to see if its bent, bent plate causes issues dan ,
    Aye but it's too much, definitely more than it should.
    Another thing I have noticed, which maybe the issue actually, is the layshaft holder/carrier, right behind the spur, has some play, like the bearing is too small, it's definitely not, so I can only assume it's worn.
    Problem is I can't find just the TR gear plate in stock anywhere and I'm not sure of any alternatives.
    Although changing the gearbox and bearings won't hurt because there is definitely a bit of play there too, but I think the main issue is the carrier.
    Didn't notice until I have taken it all off and the bearing fell out lol.

Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar

Aye but it's too much, definitely more than it should.
    Another thing I have noticed, which maybe the issue actually, is the layshaft holder/carrier, right behind the spur, has some play, like the bearing is too small, it's definitely not, so I can only assume it's worn.
    Problem is I can't find just the TR gear plate in stock anywhere and I'm not sure of any alternatives.
    Although changing the gearbox and bearings won't hurt because there is definitely a bit of play there too, but I think the main issue is the carrier.
    Didn't notice until I have taken it all off and the bearing fell out lol.
    check out the for sales section dan,
    laz has a TR gear plate for sale still mate ,
    half way down the page or so

http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/showthre...1-Baja-hop-ups

Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    check out the for sales section dan,
    laz has a TR gear plate for sale still mate ,
    half way down the page or so

http://www.baja-forum.co.uk/showthre...1-Baja-hop-ups
    Only just seen this, thanks Paul, I knew someone had one, I have dropped him a PM, although I really need to get my Dad a new engine sorted out, our last bash so far has put us in the hole for nearly 200 lol.
    Bloody expensive day out that was!!

Only just seen this, thanks Paul, I knew someone had one, I have dropped him a PM, although I really need to get my Dad a new engine sorted out, our last bash so far has put us in the hole for nearly 200 lol.
    Bloody expensive day out that was!!
    Pm sent Dan, cheers paul