Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 98 of 98

Thread: De-anodising alloy "how to"

  1. #81
    Senior Member dellboy1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    scnuthorpe
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Hi all,
    I've got a feeling that this process will damage the nylon bushes for the suspension pins but it looks like they will be a pig to remove without damaging them.
    I have tried drill bit shafts to push them out but they are either too tight or loose to do the job.Is there a method for getting these out or do i just leave them in?
    Cheers,
    Dell.
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

  2. #82
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dellboy1959 View Post
    Hi all,
    I've got a feeling that this process will damage the nylon bushes for the suspension pins but it looks like they will be a pig to remove without damaging them.
    I have tried drill bit shafts to push them out but they are either too tight or loose to do the job.Is there a method for getting these out or do i just leave them in?
    Cheers,
    Dell.
    not sure on that one dell, but if your deanodising all your orange bits as well, why not get some solution, put your other stuff in it and chuck an old nylon part in with it to see what effect the solution has on it, if it don't knacker it you will know it's safe to use on nylon ,

  3. #83
    Senior Member dellboy1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    scnuthorpe
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    not sure on that one dell, but if your deanodising all your orange bits as well, why not get some solution, put your other stuff in it and chuck an old nylon part in with it to see what effect the solution has on it, if it don't knacker it you will know it's safe to use on nylon ,
    not a bad idea spent but i won't know what composition the bushes are made of if you see what i mean
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

  4. #84
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dellboy1959 View Post
    not a bad idea spent but i won't know what composition the bushes are made of if you see what i mean
    yeh but you'll get a rough idea dell , can't remember if your car has upper and lower alloy arms all round or not, but if it has, have a mooch about for say some new front upper or rear upper alloy arms that will look good on the car and then just chuck two of yours in the solution, if it knackers the bushings just buy the new ones, if the bushings are ok chuck them all in there mate ,

    edit: or if it knackers the bushings in those two drill out the old bushing and get some nylon rod and make two new ones,

  5. #85
    Baja-Forum Maniac BASS 666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    BELFAST ( So i am )
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    cant see it myself .. dump them in Dell .. sure your loaded and you can buy more ...
    TR.D.I.A.F.W .... SUPPORT LOCAL VENDORS ....

  6. #86
    Senior Member dellboy1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    scnuthorpe
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    yeh but you'll get a rough idea dell , can't remember if your car has upper and lower alloy arms all round or not, but if it has, have a mooch about for say some new front upper or rear upper alloy arms that will look good on the car and then just chuck two of yours in the solution, if it knackers the bushings just buy the new ones, if the bushings are ok chuck them all in there mate ,

    edit: or if it knackers the bushings in those two drill out the old bushing and get some nylon rod and make two new ones,
    Yeah,cheers spent,no offence but that involves buying new again and i've already racked up a 450 bill so far and that was being restrained plus it's an all or nothing situation with this and the front end is brand new so if it doesn't work i'm stuck with half and half
    There's no rush mate,i will hang on and see if anyone else chirps up that's done it before,that way i can be sure
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

  7. #87
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    or, 6mm nut and bolt through each bush with a sealing washer on each end, will keep the caustic out

  8. #88
    Senior Member dellboy1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    scnuthorpe
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    or, 6mm nut and bolt through each bush with a sealing washer on each end, will keep the caustic out
    Now that's an option
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

  9. #89
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dellboy1959 View Post
    Now that's an option
    just to give you sommat else to think about dell , what are modern drains made of ? i know there some sort of polyethylene or sommat, some with rubber seals etc, what do you chuck down the plughole to clear a blocked drain ?

  10. #90
    Baja-Forum Maniac BASS 666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    BELFAST ( So i am )
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    make up a small amount of really strong juice and throw a couple of nylock nuts in and see what happens ..
    TR.D.I.A.F.W .... SUPPORT LOCAL VENDORS ....

  11. #91
    Senior Member dellboy1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    scnuthorpe
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    just to give you sommat else to think about dell , what are modern drains made of ? i know there some sort of polyethylene or sommat, some with rubber seals etc, what do you chuck down the plughole to clear a blocked drain ?
    Ha ha,for that very reason mate i use the good ole drain rods
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

  12. #92
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dellboy1959 View Post
    Ha ha,for that very reason mate i use the good ole drain rods
    just making a point dell , if your gonna go down the drain cleaner way of deanodising it should be safe on plastics mate, modern nylon is tough old stuff, and if drain cleaner doesn't affect drains, i can't really see it affecting nylon bushes ,

  13. #93
    Senior Member dellboy1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    scnuthorpe
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spentallmymoneyagain View Post
    just making a point dell , if your gonna go down the drain cleaner way of deanodising it should be safe on plastics mate, modern nylon is tough old stuff, and if drain cleaner doesn't affect drains, i can't really see it affecting nylon bushes ,
    Spose i could risk it,just means kevs got some extra bushes to make if it goes tits up
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

  14. #94
    Baja-Forum Maniac spentallmymoneyagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    ''oop north lad''
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dellboy1959 View Post
    Spose i could risk it,just means kevs got some extra bushes to make if it goes tits up
    just put the nut and bolt with washers on em dell , i know it's your stuff mate, but there not gonna be in the solution very long ,

  15. #95
    Senior Member dellboy1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    scnuthorpe
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BASS 666 View Post
    cant see it myself .. dump them in Dell .. sure your loaded and you can buy more ...

    Ha ha gary,if i was loaded i'd have a fleet of these things
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

  16. #96
    Baja-Forum Maniac llazaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    EAST YORKS.
    Posts
    4,720

    Default

    As Paul above says not in long enough, I have deanodized stuff in a cut down plastic milk bottle with no issues

  17. #97
    Senior Member dellboy1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    scnuthorpe
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BASS 666 View Post
    make up a small amount of really strong juice and throw a couple of nylock nuts in and see what happens ..
    Good call gary
    I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

  18. #98
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Great effort.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •