Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mesh Mod - crank case & pullstart

Baja-Forum Maniac Baja 5B Police's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    A bit long winded if you ask me...

How to remove Araldite

Easy option is to get a dremmel and hack away at it with a sanding bit or a metal filing bit.
    Not on my Reed case yow Mad
    HYPER TT
    SERPENT COBRA 811BE
    BAJA SS TS REED
    LOSI MINI 8IGHT

Default Glue

I use thick superglue with activator instant set no waiting ready to go activator comes in a spray can just apply glue spray done....never comes off unless you want to replace at sometime

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    A bit long winded if you ask me...

How to remove Araldite

Easy option is to get a dremmel and hack away at it with a sanding bit or a metal filing bit.
    It goes softer with heat, if your in a stripped state!

But I always use a knife to get under the glue and peel it off, comes off in large bits that way ! A combo of the both works better as you can peel of big lumps almost in one rather than small bits
    Last edited by dogpi55; 18-12-2012 at 16:22.
    If you realized that there is no such thing as free will you would make different choices

Got my baja In a million pieces so thought I'd do this mod ,

Started by buying halfords mesh for 1.80 ish and there alrodite was 4.99 so instead I went to the pound shop next door and bought so epoxy resin for a quid! Total cost 2.80 :-)

Hopefully it works

First up I steamed off the crap off the engine, then cut a square roughly the size of the first bit to cover

Next I moulded it into place with my fingers
    Then trimmed it with scissors to size

Repeated for the other two gaps

Next I mixed up the resin and applied to the edge
    If I was to do this again , instead of trying to gulp it all on in one go I think it would of been easier and tidier to put dabs on , let it dry then do another bit as it can dry quickly or run and you end up with a messy job, mine don't turn out too bad but could of been tidier.
    So anyway I covered all the edges and left it to dry

Good job there, thanks for sharing. The mesh and glue go a long way and a bargain at 2.80 Definitely a first must do mod

I am planning to do this mod to my engine over the weekend. So thankyou for all the pics.
    I was thinking of using mesh from a sieve/colander as its a finer mesh or would it be better to use the mesh from halfords?

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyBig5puds View Post
    I am planning to do this mod to my engine over the weekend. So thankyou for all the pics.
    I was thinking of using mesh from a sieve/colander as its a finer mesh or would it be better to use the mesh from halfords?
    The mesh from halfords was very easy to mould around the shape of the openings, I would say it would be much more difficult with a sieve based on the fact it is a lot thicker metal, my opinion is that you prob don't need it to be rock solid as it will mainly just be keeping out grass mud etc the chance of rocks hitting it directly are very slim based on where it is sat in the car - well hidden.

Hope this helps
    Noz