Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverback RC Products Ltd Beadlocks Information Thread

Formerly Silverback RC flake99please's Avatar

Default Silverback RC Products Ltd Beadlocks Information Thread

I would like to take this opportunity to explain a little about myself & why these parts came about...

I have spent over 15 years working in the plastics industry. Some as a materials analyst, some as a plastics buyer. I felt that polymers still had a valid place in the manufacture of parts for the HPI Baja 5B & 5T.

One of the biggest problems I had with the standard beadlocks was the screws pulling through the beadlock rings. This would usually result in tyres blowing out on a regular basis. The 2 main objectives when designing these parts was to produce a ring that in theory could be driven with only 5 screws holding the tyre in place & a ring that would significantly reduce the chance of a screw pulling through it. Another lesser objective was that the material could be dyed at home by the customer using Rit/Dylon.

With my extensive knowlege I set about finding the optimum material for these parts. 15 different polymers were initially shortlisted, 4 were high pressure injection moulded materials, 6 would need to be cnc machined, 3 were centrifugally cast, and the other 2 were vacuum formed.

Before a ring was even produced I obtained samples of each material and set about them (like a silverback gorilla ) with hammers, blunt chisels, to try to smash them to pieces. I even used a 2 ton forklift truck to run over the materials for compression testing. The samples were also tested after heating (60 minutes in boiling water) & freezing (24 hours in a commercial freezer) using the methods above.

Initially there were 3 compounds which passed this initial phase of testing. Fortunately the top performing of these materials was the only one that passed the home dye test so this was the basis for the material chosen. Various strengthening agents, impact modifiers, and even Kevlar in varying quantities were introduced & tested to the 'base' material blend to 'fine tune' for flexural strength & impact resistance. As a result of over 400 laboratory hours testing, the final material composition was chosen.

In its natural state it is is the colour of mayonnaise. Pigments are added (including a white pigment for the white beadlocks) to give it the colours you can buy from my website or other reputable retailers. The orange has a blend of 3 pigments to achieve the finish it has.
    Last edited by flake99please; 14-11-2009 at 15:56. Reason: spelling corrections

Nice write up Neil......cheers.

JOD.

Some people (including myself) don't realize the work,testing that goes into these products, we think of them as some plastic beadlocks we take for granted that are mass manufactured from the start and get posted through our letter box :confused: clearly not ! your R&D have payed dividends Neil, a great product for us lovers Silverbacks are the best bang for buck beads out there, thank's for the write up

Just bought 2 sets and they look and feel great, but have yet to be tested in anger.

The selection/testing process shows in the final product Neil. I remember when I got the first set and all I remember thinking was "Wow... these are hardcore."

Would you ever go down the route of doing an inner set without the countersunk parts? I know it' be more hassle and work but considering how strong the inners with the countersinks are without them they'd be damn near invincible!

Manufacturing an inner beadlock ring without (or with a significantly reduced) countersink section may be a possibility perhaps. I would certainly need to source & supply pan head screws with the same type of co**** thread as my 'standard' screws just released. The addition of these screws would of course increase retail costs, but would work out the same as if purchased separately as is the situation at present.

Thanks for your order btw

nice write up dude you forgot to mention you love to cross dress

the beadlock srews are sick norma I mean neil he sent me a set

top job dude

now where are them big round things that you mount on hubs
    Last edited by D4nnyc MMR Master Basher; 14-11-2009 at 22:05.

cool write up just ordered my first silverback set of beadlock and screws after reading it

what size allen key fits the new beadlock screws , went to use them today and realized they were a different size than the stock ones

Quote Originally Posted by Vickers View Post
    what size allen key fits the new beadlock screws , went to use them today and realized they were a different size than the stock ones

3/32 or 2.4mm in metric

thanks silverback , by the way i love the look of the lipped beadlock really makes the whells look beefy or somethin , defo be getting these from now on

Can you still use the stock HPI screws with the silverback HD outer beadlocks?

i do mate and i have had no problems with my

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tosh View Post
    Can you still use the stock HPI screws with the silverback HD outer beadlocks?

Yes you can still use the HPI screws. If you are a serious basher I would suggest (at least for the outer rings) using a longer bolt with a larger thread or a longer bolt with a nut on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback RC Products View Post
    Yes you can still use the HPI screws. If you are a serious basher I would suggest (at least for the outer rings) using a longer bolt with a larger thread or a longer bolt with a nut on the other side.
    A larger or longer bolt? Does it still fit the thread in the rim then?

The stock HPI beadlock screws size (4/40) have a larger (or deeper) thread than an identical metric bolt of the same sized diameter (2.8mm). The deeper thread of a 4/40 bolt will grip better in the plastic than the metric equivalent.

The rims do not have a thread in them. The holes are deliberately undersized so that the thread is made by the screw as you tighten down the bolt. Hence the importance of not over-tightening beadlock screws.

Hopefully this explains what I meant by larger thread in my quoted post above .

OK, great, I'll order some then, along with the bolts.

Ebay allright for you?

Or is ordering from your site the better choice?

Ebay fee's are nasty, just go direct to the persons website everytime its often cheaper as well.

been running silverback beadlocks for a while and never failed me yet topr of the line product

Been a long time since I used this pic

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361486308.931032.jpg
    CNC milled carbon fibre/Aluminium baja/losi parts stock, modified and custom.