Thread: Dogbone over kill.

Cool Dogbone over kill.

There are a couple guys making dogbones that have really beefed up mid sections between the ball ends. Its not needed and here's why. About 90 percent of the stress and torque is on the ball ends and out to .75 on the shafts. I have been making dogbones for almost 5 years and we have put them threw hell. Years ago I sliced up several dogbones that have been run hard and started to twist on the ends. Metal fatigue was always on the ends near the balls. I have never seen a dogbone snap in the middle, not saying it cant happen, but I have never herd of it. You guys can spend your money on what ever you want, but I'm going to call it like I see it. The aftermarket dogbone market is flooded and machine shops are slow.

Great point... Thats why im going stock with almost all parts

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyVR6 View Post
    Great point... Thats why im going stock with almost all parts
    HPI has stepped up on making the baja, 5-t and the new sc pretty darn good right out of the box.

I think many wait until something breaks. Like every other car it needs proper maintenance and regular service. Parts inspection and the like

i have your 4mm ones and apart from a few broken pins have been top notch when ever i broke the ss onces was always within 10mm of the ball end

i have had a few stock failures myself and it was allways the ball end to break (no surprise their).the recent offering of dogbones as was stated are very chunky in the mid section,is the thinking behind this style to help prevent them from twisting or is this new design not needed,instead of just using a suitable meterial and a decent sized bone which allready exists.bigger is not allways better but for some that dont know what its weak point are might choose by looks instead of knowledge and pay over the odds for over developed dogbones but gain nothing in terms of strenght in the right areas along the way but instead only a bigger dented wallet for their choice but i suppose as long as they do the job i am sure they will make someone happy.